Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W W231 180gn rnfp plated mouse fart load

Bmeehan19

Hi,

Im new here and have read a ton. Ive come across some data for the load described above but nothing seemed consistent, mostly major PF. I have a RIA Pro Match and only currently shoot club events so PF doesnt apply. I also would like to load this for 147 gn 9mm 1911 SS too if possible for light loads. Does anyone have and tested/proven info for these combinations?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Edited by Bmeehan19

Power Factor does apply even at club matches. Either your major or minor. Be honest when you register for the match. Don't go register as major and use some mouse fart load. Working up a mouse fart load to shoot local matches with is never gonna make you better IMO.

Its an honor system, just because they don't chrono doesn't mean the rules don't apply.

Now if your local club shoot is not affiliated with a sanctioned organization (I shoot a few of those a month), and the rules do not have anything about PF then lets talk.

Its mostly experimentation for what your gun will run and what it will like OAL wise (this will effect how much powder you use).

Most likely it will be ~1.175-1.225

I've never loaded a mouse fart load (been looking into it though for 3gun), but a normal W231 Major 200gr load is ~3.6 gr depending on OAL.

Start with 3.0 gr chrono it and work up or down from there until your gun reliably runs with the springs you want/have access to and meets the PF you are looking for.

6 minutes ago, dkamps said:

Its an honor system, just because they don't chrono doesn't mean the rules don't apply.

Now if your local club shoot is not affiliated with a sanctioned organization (I shoot a few of those a month), and the rules do not have anything about PF then lets talk.

Its mostly experimentation for what your gun will run and what it will like OAL wise (this will effect how much powder you use).

Most likely it will be ~1.175-1.225

I've never loaded a mouse fart load (been looking into it though for 3gun), but a normal W231 Major 200gr load is ~3.6 gr depending on OAL.

Start with 3.0 gr chrono it and work up or down from there until your gun reliably runs with the springs you want/have access to and meets the PF you are looking for.

Thank you for the info. Most of the events around me are non sanctioned events. No affiliation to anything. Just local club shoots that use the basic rules of USPSA. There only requirement for Major/Minor is caliber. I also do three gun and steel plate shoots where it doesn’t matter either. I have a chrono so thank you for the starting point. It may be a few weeks til I can chrono but I may be able to load some up and check fnction tomorrow. I have a fee different springs laying around but from what I read Ill start with 11-12 and adjust from there.  

Bryan

2 minutes ago, Bmeehan19 said:

Thank you for the info. Most of the events around me are non sanctioned events. No affiliation to anything. Just local club shoots that use the basic rules of USPSA. There only requirement for Major/Minor is caliber. I also do three gun and steel plate shoots where it doesn’t matter either. I have a chrono so thank you for the starting point. It may be a few weeks til I can chrono but I may be able to load some up and check fnction tomorrow. I have a fee different springs laying around but from what I read Ill start with 11-12 and adjust from there.  

Bryan

People posting their exact personal load data is great and all, but I personally only use it as a reference for whatever powder is on the table, take a few gr's off and work up my load.. I've never found one I didn't have to tweak for my environment and equipment.. I always work up a load, pays dividends in the long run.. plus its really the only fun part of reloading.

I agree. I am looking for starting points as there isn’t much out there that I can find. I know Ill have to play with the grains and OAL a bit. With it being a fast powder I dont want to screw up. Can never have enough information. 

I’ve run 3.6 gr of 231 behind a 180 blue and it was very soft shooting but left flecks of unburned powder. It ran my 12# spring well though and I didn’t feel like I would have reliability issues. The one thing I didn’t like was the case volume, the same weight of WST seemed to fill the case better and felt similar 

1 hour ago, Goodonpaper said:

I’ve run 3.6 gr of 231 behind a 180 blue and it was very soft shooting but left flecks of unburned powder. It ran my 12# spring well though and I didn’t feel like I would have reliability issues. The one thing I didn’t like was the case volume, the same weight of WST seemed to fill the case better and felt similar 

Thank you for the info. Ive loaded up some at 3.1, 3.3, 3.5 OAL 1.2 to see how they run with WSP primers. I only have an extra 10lb spring plus the original. Ill see how they go. I have 2lbs of this so I want to use it up and if I dont like it or cant get it to what I want Ill have to dig into a different powder. 

14 minutes ago, Bmeehan19 said:

Thank you for the info. Ive loaded up some at 3.1, 3.3, 3.5 OAL 1.2 to see how they run with WSP primers. I only have an extra 10lb spring plus the original. Ill see how they go. I have 2lbs of this so I want to use it up and if I dont like it or cant get it to what I want Ill have to dig into a different powder. 

Could try 1.18, seems to be the most popular OAL, but.. depends on your mags are tuned. Would also increase your pressure and fill volume.

12 minutes ago, dkamps said:

Could try 1.18, seems to be the most popular OAL, but.. depends on your mags are tuned. Would also increase your pressure and fill volume.

I definitely can. Just going off of some reccomendations I received. Ill send the ones I made already down range and can load some more to 1.18 to see how they act. Im going tune them tonight they are at .350 so Im going to open them up to Atlas’s specs. 

13 hours ago, Bmeehan19 said:

I definitely can. Just going off of some reccomendations I received. Ill send the ones I made already down range and can load some more to 1.18 to see how they act. Im going tune them tonight they are at .350 so Im going to open them up to Atlas’s specs. 

Sweet! Excited to see how it turns out... making me want to stop being lazy and reload again instead of just buying cases haha.

6 hours ago, dkamps said:

Sweet! Excited to see how it turns out... making me want to stop being lazy and reload again instead of just buying cases haha.

So. I shot the 3.5 and the 3.3 didnt try the 3.1. With the factory recoil spring the 3.5 wouldnt cycle the gun completely. I only had an extra 9lb and it worked pretty good but on the side of a hair to stiff. The 3.3 wouldnt cycle the 9lb with several fte and ftf, the brass just about rolled out of the gun. Accuracy didnt matter as I noticed that my crimp messed up the plating so it was just a function test. Im going to go up to 3.6-3.7 to see how it goes with the 9 or 10lb. But wow was it soft!!  I was loading to 1.2 as my plunk test showed a depth of 1.29. May try 1.18 per another suggestion with the 3.5. Using Berry’s 180gn RNFP .401. Will have to roll more and see. 

My mouse fart for plinking 9mm is 3g clays or clay dot under a 115 xtream. Really fun and soft to shoot. Saw a bunch of .40 loads didn't see much 9. For 147g the same load works but it's a bit hotter and makes minor. Back it off a bit if u use it for sub minor w 147.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, Open1215 said:

My mouse fart for plinking 9mm is 3g clays or clay dot under a 115 xtream. Really fun and soft to shoot. Saw a bunch of .40 loads didn't see much 9. For 147g the same load works but it's a bit hotter and makes minor. Back it off a bit if u use it for sub minor w 147.

Awesome!  Thx. 

Awesome!  Thx. 
You bet. Start a bit lower ymmv and safety warnings apply. I can't recall what the book data is for clays in 9 w 115 and claydot isn't recommended for metallic carriages from what I've read but I've also read from alliant that claydot is a grain for grain replacement for clays so it's up to you and what you feel safe with.

15 hours ago, Bmeehan19 said:

So. I shot the 3.5 and the 3.3 didnt try the 3.1. With the factory recoil spring the 3.5 wouldnt cycle the gun completely. I only had an extra 9lb and it worked pretty good but on the side of a hair to stiff. The 3.3 wouldnt cycle the 9lb with several fte and ftf, the brass just about rolled out of the gun. Accuracy didnt matter as I noticed that my crimp messed up the plating so it was just a function test. Im going to go up to 3.6-3.7 to see how it goes with the 9 or 10lb. But wow was it soft!!  I was loading to 1.2 as my plunk test showed a depth of 1.29. May try 1.18 per another suggestion with the 3.5. Using Berry’s 180gn RNFP .401. Will have to roll more and see. 

Ah yeah, I’m thinking the 180s and OAL decreases the pressure a lot so 3.5+ makes sense compared to 200’s at 1.18