Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 220gn loads

Fasthenk65

21 hours ago, mach1soldier said:

I did with titegroup and around 3.6 grains of titegroup. 1.190 lengths.

worked good and made sight tracking very easy but it got expensive compared to 180 coated bullets

It is more expensive... And a difficult bullet. Got an expert in tonight and we learned that all was ok except the combination of Winchester brass with the 220gn coated bullets.... All bullets went into Hondu case gauge, DA gage cause and after that Dillon (solo) gage cause...

Winchester brass + the long 220 bullets were giving problems...

From end of this week we'll be testing 190gn H&N bullets (expensive) as 200gn Frontier bullets as 200 gn ARES coated bullets...

Keep you posted. Just in need of a good .40 load (Europe) without the hardness of 180gn bullets at 175pf...

rehgards,

• 3 weeks later...

I use coated 220’s from SNS with VV340 and mixed brass with no issues. My last station on the Dillon 650 is a Lee factory crimp die and I’ve never had chambering issues.you might want to look into a Lee factory crimp die, they are relatively inexpensive. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Watch out for accuracy issues. Many of the local shooters I know have abandoned 40 bullets above 200gr because their accuracy was poor when loaded at "Soft" shooting velocities. Most guys wanting to shoot super heavy 40 bullets are primarily looking for a load that is softer shooting that 180's or 200's. You can make a 220gr 40 load shoot ultra soft, but if it can't hit what your are shooting at due to poor accurately then its pointless. 

• 3 weeks later...

I ran coated 220s for a spell and liked them a lot but.... but, they got squibalicious is pursuit to softer recoil. Had a recoil floor to overcome then there was a accuracy issue too, 
200s now as 180s make me cry.

Hello: I am playing with 220's right now. I am using some Xtreme plated ones since I bought them a while back when they were on sale and very very cheap. The two powders I have tried so far are Universal Clays and HP-38/231. I think I like the HP-38 a little better. I am loading to 1.185" OAL with this bullet. Seems pretty soft shooting and accurate enough so far(using a berm with sticks that I shoot). I need to test some more since I am sneaking up to major power factor right now at 158 with 3.9 grains HP-38. This is in a Schuemann 5" standard bushing barrel in my single stack. Thanks, Eric