Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Fasthenk65

.40 220gn loads

Anyone shooting .40 heavy bullets?

We are (buddy and me) and experiencing some problems with fast powder... Need some loads which work... 

I did with titegroup and around 3.6 grains of titegroup. 1.190 lengths.

worked good and made sight tracking very easy but it got expensive compared to 180 coated bullets

21 hours ago, mach1soldier said:

I did with titegroup and around 3.6 grains of titegroup. 1.190 lengths.

worked good and made sight tracking very easy but it got expensive compared to 180 coated bullets

It is more expensive... And a difficult bullet. Got an expert in tonight and we learned that all was ok except the combination of Winchester brass with the 220gn coated bullets.... All bullets went into Hondu case gauge, DA gage cause and after that Dillon (solo) gage cause...

Winchester brass + the long 220 bullets were giving problems...

From end of this week we'll be testing 190gn H&N bullets (expensive) as 200gn Frontier bullets as 200 gn ARES coated bullets...

Keep you posted. Just in need of a good .40 load (Europe) without the hardness of 180gn bullets at 175pf...

rehgards,

Might try switching to 200gr bullets. A lot of published load data for 200gr bullets. I shot 200gr bullets for a season and it has very light recoil compared to the 165gr bullets I use now. 

I've been using 200grn acme hyteck coated bullets with 4.8 grns of autocomp at 1.18 oal,soft and accurate. Never tried 220 GRN bullets.

Tnx all, at least I know now the problem the " conic" character of the inside from Winchester Brass does not match the long 220 bullets... problem solved for now.