Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clarification on Production Rule

Gary Stevens

I noted an apparent contradiction in the new Production rule.

21.1 says that any modification that changes the external appearance, unless specifically authorized by plain language is prohibited.

21.6 authorizes the changing of triggers, but does not address the external appearance issue. Some triggers change the external appearance of the gun. 

I have it it straight from the head shed that the trigger change is ok even if it changes the external appearance of the gun.

21.1 deals with internal mods, but they have triggers listed under permitted external mods in 21.6, so I guess I didn't really view that as a contradiction.

They also left "decocking levers" out of the external controls that can be changed in 21.6.  Not sure if that's a typo or not.  But since they removed the language that any external part may be replaced by an OEM part from another pistol on the list, that leaves the decocking lever out of the allowed mods.

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

21.1 deals with internal mods, but they have triggers listed under permitted external mods in 21.6, so I guess I didn't really view that as a contradiction.

They also left "decocking levers" out of the external controls that can be changed in 21.6.  Not sure if that's a typo or not.  But since they removed the language that any external part may be replaced by an OEM part from another pistol on the list, that leaves the decocking lever out of the allowed mods.

21.1 last bullet point deals with external appearance.

20 minutes ago, Gary Stevens said:

21.1 last bullet point deals with external appearance.

I know, but the subject matter for 21.1 is internal modifications.

Internal throating and polishing to improve accuracy, reliability and function

Internal modifications which do not conflict with other clauses of this appendix are ALLOWED. Special Notes/Clarifications:

• See 21.3 for specifics with regard to slides and barrels

• ALL Factory safety mechanisms, whether internal or external, must remain functional

• See 22.2 for specifics on external safeties

• Any internal modifications which result in a visible change to the external appearance of the gun when it is in battery REMAIN PROHIBITED unless specifically allowed by the plain language herein.

Whereas 21.6 is considering trigger replacement as an external modification.

Exchange of minor External components

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts.

I was told they left de-cockers off the list on purpose so no one could convert a de-cocker CZ to a thumb safety model.

It kinda f@cks those of us who shoot other platforms. I swapped the de-cocker on my SIG P226 to the smaller model from the Legion series. That was legal last weekend. Today I need to scare up an original one to put back on both my pistols.

17 minutes ago, PatJones said:

I swapped the de-cocker on my SIG P226 to the smaller model from the Legion series. That was legal last weekend. Today I need to scare up an original one to put back on both my pistols.

And see, a mod like that is something that should fall right under the original justification for the aftermarket hammers.  It might look different on the exterior, but it's functionally the same internally.

And sorry I kinda derailed the thread, Gary.  It was not my intention.  I was just trying to explain the thinking behind my first post.  Thank you for the information.  :cheers:

Wouldn’t this special condition explain why there may be a perceived contradiction?

— UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION.