Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a quick advice regarding full vs. cut dust covers.

BenAlpha

I'm about to order a new BUL SAS UR open gun (israeli made) and there's an option for a full or cut dust cover.

I'm a small guy with small hands and the gun smith said heavier is better.
Why is it that I rarely see full dust cover ones? which one should i choose?

I shot both, without sights and they felt different, not by much.  (10 rounds each)

It was my first time shooting open so my mind was overwhelmed, can't decide.

Also, should i opt for the TiN barrel?

Help!

1111111111111111.jpg

222222222222222222222222222.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All personal preference. Lots of top guys seem to be going back to full dust covers.

I run cut back full dust covers (Roughly 4/5 of a full one very similar to a traditional butler cut).

20663960_10159046284030459_5859604012242875086_n.thumb.jpg.6f108c36fbda492d84cd3f87d553ad1e.jpg

Edited by Maximis228

21 minutes ago, cecil said:

I prefer "cut back" dust covers.. much easier to remove the guide rod..

Dust cover doesn't effect removal..... at least never has for me. Get a Dawson tooless if you want even easier removal. 

Edited by tcazes

3 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

Lots of top guys seem to be going back to full dust covers.

Why did they go to cut dust covers to begin with? haha.
Isn't a full dust cover just more "dead" weight and that's good?

Shorter, lighter, faster transitions. Just requires more muscle to grip and keep it flat. Shorties, minor of, and real light make for a great steel challenge gun or open 3 gun. 

The cut frame looks more finished and the light weight at the end of the gun will help with transitions. But. Get the one you like the best.  

The biggest problem with shooting open is pulling the trigger when you are not on the target not the pistol frame. 

5 hours ago, BenAlpha said:

No steel challenges here :)

not anymore.?

and metal grip will not fit for this gun.

full dust cover  it's  more metal for same price?

Edited by yigal

I'd go for short.  The slide has more weight reduction in non-critical areas, so reciprocating mass is reduced.  That's a good thing.  Plus it will cycle and transition faster.  If they use a cone comp, that's even better.

1 minute ago, zzt said:

I'd go for short.  The slide has more weight reduction in non-critical areas, so reciprocating mass is reduced.  That's a good thing.  Plus it will cycle and transition faster.  If they use a cone comp, that's even better.

+1

yes, they use cone comp.

and with short dust cover for 9mm minor  it doesn't  jump at all.

The FDC should rise slightly less than the short, because there is more weight out front.  I have two 2011 Open guns.  One is full dust cover with a bull barrel.  The other one is short with a coned barrel.  The short moves faster, cycles faster and is softer to shoot.  The only difference between the two guns you are comparing is the length of the DC and the weight of the slide.  If I really liked the look of the long, I'd go that way.  There isn't going to be a big difference either way.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't know these things were out in public yet.  Do they provide any advantage over SPS... STI?  They don't appear to be the level of quality that the high end custom gun makers are at, but that's just best guess from pictures.

They are made in Israel, where I live.
Quality seems to be on par with STI, they do Tin coating, DLC if you want to pay for it.
The only thing cheap on it is the Nikko Sterling optic which is an RTS2 knockoff.

But that's the only option I have down here, and it'll do.