Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger kits back in stock

BLUEPSTU

Mine was pretty awful as well. You can tell a lot of thought went into the kit but the sear interface just kills the whole deal. Mine has so much grit in the takeup that there is a false break of about 2.5 pounds before the actuall 3 pound break. Funny if you just barely pull the slide back enough to reset the pull is great. Cycle the slide all the way back and its a disaster. Guess the stock sear will have to go back in for this weekend. 

Funny when I emailed I was never given the option to send back just the sear they wanted the whole gun?

Edited by JsK

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, JsK said:

Mine was pretty awful as well. You can tell a lot of thought went into the kit but the sear interface just kills the whole deal. Mine has so much grit in the takeup that there is a false break of about 2.5 pounds before the actuall 3 pound break. Funny if you just barely pull the slide back enough to reset the pull is great. Cycle the slide all the way back and its a disaster. Guess the stock sear will have to gun back in for this weekend. 

Funny when I emailed I was never given the option to send back just the sear they wanted the whole gun?

Now that's interesting.  My issue wasn't nearly as bad as yours sounds, but it was definitely sear induced as once the striker fell all grittiness and noise went away.  The fact yours acts differently depending on how far the slide cycles is awfully strange.  Hope they get you squared away soon.  But yea, after explaining what was happening the first thing he said was just sent the sear in, no need for anything else.  He did lead me to believe sear returns would get some priority and turnaround time should be short.  I asked about a time frame with this thread in mind knowing some guys have been waiting on shipping for a while.  Sent mine back priority mail with signature confirmation, should be there Tuesday, got my fingers crossed for quick resolution.

6 minutes ago, dave33 said:

Now that's interesting.  My issue wasn't nearly as bad as yours sounds, but it was definitely sear induced as once the striker fell all grittiness and noise went away.  The fact yours acts differently depending on how far the slide cycles is awfully strange.  Hope they get you squared away soon.  But yea, after explaining what was happening the first thing he said was just sent the sear in, no need for anything else.  He did lead me to believe sear returns would get some priority and turnaround time should be short.  I asked about a time frame with this thread in mind knowing some guys have been waiting on shipping for a while.  Sent mine back priority mail with signature confirmation, should be there Tuesday, got my fingers crossed for quick resolution.

Maybe the differnce between email and talking on the phone. I may try and call them today.

13 hours ago, MustangMan said:

I haven't seen any comparisons between this kit and the Apex trigger and trigger bar kit. Which is the preferred and why? I'm on the fence between the 2, I have to send my Apex trigger back for the upgraded version and can't decide between getting the new trigger version plus the trigger bar or just getting the upgraded trigger and selling it and buying the GG kit.

I can help you as I have both kits. The only thing that I thought the Apex kit was superior in was the pre-travel. The Apex kit eliminated all pre-travel for me. I just installed the GG kit and it is much lighter than the Apex kit. The only problem I have with the GG kit is the grittiness that some people are having. I only seem to feel it when I am doing slow dry-fire and not quick live fire. I def would like to try my Apex trigger bar and pretravel bar with the other parts of the GG kit but I don't know if it would work or not. I don't want to be the guinea pig and might wait for someone else to try it.

(I do know my Apex flat trigger would not work with the GG kit)

40 minutes ago, BLUEPSTU said:

I can help you as I have both kits. The only thing that I thought the Apex kit was superior in was the pre-travel. The Apex kit eliminated all pre-travel for me. I just installed the GG kit and it is much lighter than the Apex kit. The only problem I have with the GG kit is the grittiness that some people are having. I only seem to feel it when I am doing slow dry-fire and not quick live fire. I def would like to try my Apex trigger bar and pretravel bar with the other parts of the GG kit but I don't know if it would work or not. I don't want to be the guinea pig and might wait for someone else to try it.

Thanks for the info. In my searching for a comparison I found a post somewhere, can't remember the forum, of a guy who installed the Apex trigger bar with his GG kit and he said there was a popping sound when he pulled the trigger and the reset was mushy feeling and not as defined.

If you do feel so inclined to be a second tester I would be curious to tour experiences.

2 hours ago, BLUEPSTU said:

I’m curious in what way the apex trigger “would not work.” Wouldnt break? Wouldnt reset? Couldnt get it installed? Doesnt seem likes theres enough difference for it to be completely incompatible. 

2 hours ago, MustangMan said:

Thanks for the info. In my searching for a comparison I found a post somewhere, can't remember the forum, of a guy who installed the Apex trigger bar with his GG kit and he said there was a popping sound when he pulled the trigger and the reset was mushy feeling and not as defined.

If you do feel so inclined to be a second tester I would be curious to tour experiences.

What exactly is a “mushy reset?” I know the apex bar should increase pull weight a tiny bit but it should be no more than a half lb or so. Personally thats insignificant imo. I plan on getting an apex bar soon. Will report my experience when I get it installed. 

12 minutes ago, Daemunx1 said:

I’m curious in what way the apex trigger “would not work.” Wouldnt break? Wouldnt reset? Couldnt get it installed? Doesnt seem likes theres enough difference for it to be completely incompatible. 

Nothing would happen when I would rack the slide and pull the trigger. No click. It's like the Apex trigger would not let it go into complete battery. 

3 hours ago, Daemunx1 said:

What exactly is a “mushy reset?” I know the apex bar should increase pull weight a tiny bit but it should be no more than a half lb or so. Personally thats insignificant imo. I plan on getting an apex bar soon. Will report my experience when I get it installed. 

No clue, read it from a poster on a different forum while doing a Google search on a comparison between the 2 triggers.

From the replies it looks like when I get the credit for the Apex trigger I'll use it towards a trigger bar and then I'll order a GG kit, if members here who plan on installing the Apex trigger bar on their GG kit like it I'll do that if not I'll just sell it.

Haven't received anything but a order confirmation on mine since the order was placed the 18th.   With the apparent sear "grit" issue I'm happy to wait as long as it's right when it arrives. Nothing more annoying than installing a custom part that fails to perform right from the install. 

I received and installed two (standard P320 and X5) today. When pulling slowly have a first click / false break, followed by a slightly gritty pull to the break. Guess my strikers will have to go back too. 

By the way, each kit came with 4 sear springs. 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, MustangMan said:

You are probably referring to my post over on Sig Talk.

I tried both together, i.e. Apex trigger bar and GG Pelt2 kit.

This is what I posted:

"My experience with the GG Pelt2 trigger kit plus the Apex bar was not positive.
I thought the GG kit provided a very good trigger with a nice break and a positive reset.
I just this morning added the Apex bar to the mix and the break and reset are not nearly as defined. In particular the reset is mushy. Plus there were at least one annoying click during trigger pull. Took it out and re-installed and no change.
I've now removed it and will be putting it up for sale."

With respect to "mushy" reset: The Pelt2 reset is a distinct aural and tactile "click". Added the Apex trigger bar and both were much less defined. I'm not sure why I used the term "mushy" but at this point the experience is far enough in the past that I can't give much more feedback on that issue.

I can say for sure that I wasted no time un-installing the Apex bar. I've never tried the bar with a stock X5 so I can't address that configuration.

Little update on my sear that went back to Gray Guns.  It was delivered to them a week ago today, haven't heard anything from them so thought I better call and see what's happening.  Guy I spoke with was a little vague on what it was going to take to get them right, said they may need to be re-nickeled.  Got the feeling there have been several sent back to them and they are trying to find a solution.  The guy said he didn't want to rush something out that wasn't right or wouldn't hold up so my wait continues.  

I wonder if they are holding up full-filling orders due to that issue. I ordered mine the 18th, but aside for an order confirmation have heard nothing else and the kit has not arrived.   Which would be just fine with me, better to have them wait and get the kits right than deal with installing it, having it be wrong and returning it.   It would be nice to get a heads up order status email etc. about the delay if it's impacting a lot of orders. 

Just received shipping notice that my sear is on the way back.  No notes in the email about what was done, just a tracking number.  The original shipment made it to me fairly quickly, hopefully I will have it by Saturday so I can shoot a match with it Sunday.  That's assuming the problem has been corrected.  Looking forward to it either way, ready to shoot something besides my P365 in a match.?

Just got the sear back today. Whatever the problem was it has been resolved. All grit and squeaks are gone, the pull is fairly light, reasonably crisp with short take up and no over travel. Exactly what I was hoping for. Really looking forward to shooting it later this week.  

1 hour ago, dave33 said:

Just got the sear back today. Whatever the problem was it has been resolved. All grit and squeaks are gone, the pull is fairly light, reasonably crisp with short take up and no over travel. Exactly what I was hoping for. Really looking forward to shooting it later this week.  

Good news. Would you say what they did to fix the grit made the trigger any lighter as well?

20 hours ago, BLUEPSTU said:

Good news. Would you say what they did to fix the grit made the trigger any lighter as well?

I doubt it. Don't have a trigger gage so didn't do a before and after but from what I remember the weight feels about the same. 

• 1 month later...

For those that shipped back your sear for grittiness how long did it take to get it back? I guess I will call tomorrow. I shipped them mine back 5 weeks ago and have not heard anything. I'm currently using the kit with the factory sear.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mine took a week or 10 days to get back if I remember correctly, but I got it real soon after the 2nd batch of sears became available.  I would imagine I was one of the first to know something was wrong and got it back to them very quickly.  Hope yours is ready soon, it really makes the kit worthwhile, love my X5 now.

I got mine back last week. They had them a while, probably just over a month. After they reworked them, they are just like I expected. I polished the sear to trigger bar surface before I put them in. I have an X5 and an RX full-size so I have one FCU with the PELT 2 trigger plus kit and one with the X5 flat and the trigger kit. They are within 1/2 pound of each other.