Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
mwenger

Precision rifle for $2,000

I am looking at purchasing my first rifle for stretching out to 1,000 yards (eventually).  With a budget of $2,000 for the rifle alone, what would you all suggest?  I have been checking out the RPR, Bergara HMR, Tikka CTR/Tac A1, and the Seekins Havak.  I'm not 100% sold on a folding stock, but I'm open to suggestions.  I do know that I want it to have a threaded barrel for my suppressor...but aside from that I'm all ears.  

Its hard to argue with an rpr... i think cdnn had them in 6mm creed for like 899.   You could get the rifle and the scope for not that much over what you had budgeted for the rifle. If you don't like the stock there is space in your budget to swap it.   There are other things about it you might change as you shoot it but for me that's part of the fun of it.

The tika is also an awsome choice.

I have a rifle that was built by a fellow by the name of Tony Cannon at one of my sponsors, Doc's Pawn and Gun in Greenville, NC  The rifle was a Remington short action that Tony blueprinted. I purchased a Satern M-24 barrel from Brownells that was short chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I had it bedded in a Bell and Carlson Tactical stock and the rifle is a shooter beyond belief. Factory Hornady ammo. I shot a .187 and my fellow shooting partner shot a .208 with it. I have less than $2k in it and I also have a Jewell trigger in it. I am in the process of doing another creedmoor for a hunting rifle and also another target rifle in the new 6.5 PRC.  Give Tony a call and tell him Tommy Roupe told you to call. Tony is very reasonable. 

You are knocking on the door of building a full custom rifle with a custom action. TS Customs builds some of the best rifles out there. Give him a call and see what he can do. You will be way ahead of the game with a custom built rifle.

BTW— stick with a Timney trigger as opposed to the Jewel. The jewel is difficult with dirt or even just dust as I have experienced.

I’ve got a tikka t3x tac a1. It’ll outshoot me any day any time and is a fantastic stock rifle.  I’ve also shot the rpr since it seems like everyone of my buddies has one. It’s not a bad rifle and is submoa. Side by side the tikka is picked every time. 

Only downside is the mags are expensive. 

Tikka rifles are very good rifles for the money.  I have a Ruger American that I purchased for my son to shoot in Creedmoor and it is a .5 rifle for $379

I had heard about the John Hancock before but had kinda forgotten about it.  I'm thinking that might be the way that I go because Patriot Valley Arms is somewhat local to me.  Now I just have to convince myself to go 6.5 instead of .308.  

20 minutes ago, mwenger said:

Now I just have to convince myself to go 6.5 instead of .308.  

Thats a no brainer.

3 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Thats a no brainer.

really a no brainer.  especially if you don't reload, there's a good supply of match ammo at comparable prices to 308, and definitely less wind drift.

Oh I reload and that was what had me almost leaning towards the 308 because I have a healthy supply of lapua brass and 175 SMK's.  But really if I am going to drop 2 grand on something I think 6.5 is the way to go.  

Will this be a range toy or a match gun? The 6mm's are really gaining momentum for PRS/NRL match use.

Something to learn how to stretch out to 1000 yards.  I know that is a lot easier said than done, but I love reloading and shooting so I think it will be fun to learn the ins and outs or reaching out that far.  Down the road if I feel confident with it then I would consider trying matches.