Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision rifle for $2,000

mwenger

44 minutes ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I wouldn't waste your time on a 3-18 power. It isn't about the maximum power, but the optimum performance.  The scope will perform its best around its max power, so if you have a 6-24 it will perform its best around 12x.  If you have a 3-18 it will be the clearest around 9x.  For that reason I'd go with the highest power you can get.  I've never wished I had less power, but many times I was running the 5-20 Gen 1 razor I have wished I had more power. 

Ummm...???

23 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Perhaps he meant "will perform best around half its max power"?

Correct.  I see that I had somehow incorrectly typed that.  My fingers were not going as fast as my thoughts.   The scope is much clearer around Half of its max power

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm currently waiting for the JHR in 6mm and right now plan on getting the Bushnell DMR-II.  Bushnell just dropped the MSRP and made room for the DMR-II Pro so it will be below the 2k limit if you plan to play in Production PRS.  If the DMR-II wasn't an option I would go with the gen1 Razor for sure.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Masterpiece Arms also has a production PRS gun under 2000. And that chassis is awesome!! 

I’ve been waiting on a left handed model for almost 6 months. It seems to me that they grew too quickly without any visibility of their vendors and are quickly falling behind. They also picked a really bad time to switch from Remington to Curtis actions.

They told me they should have Left Handed actions in a couple months. It was only supposed to take 10 weeks when I originally ordered so I have no idea when I will see my rifle. I was hoping to shoot some PRS events this year, but that’s just a pipe dream now.

I can’t figure out how the custom/semi-custom firearms industry does such a poor job of estimating delivery times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay as far away from PVA (aka John Hancock) as you can. You will thank me later. Too many other good options to bother with them.

As for MPA... They are busy because they are popular. They are trying to keep pace with demand, but not outrun it. I sympathize with you lefties, not many options and sometimes long waits. Most likely they (MPA) are waiting on actions (3rd party) rather than chassis, because their new chassis are ambidextrous.

Bolt rifles are almost always a waiting game, used to be worse. McMillan is actually proud they run 10 months out 🤨

Stay as far away from PVA (aka John Hancock) as you can. You will thank me later. Too many other good options to bother with them.

As for MPA... They are busy because they are popular. They are trying to keep pace with demand, but not outrun it. I sympathize with you lefties, not many options and sometimes long waits. Most likely they (MPA) are waiting on actions (3rd party) rather than chassis, because their new chassis are ambidextrous.

Bolt rifles are almost always a waiting game, used to be worse. McMillan is actually proud they run 10 months out [emoji2955]

For MPA this is the case. They are unable to get left-handed Curtis actions. However, being able to manage 3rd party vendors is part of running a business. Either they were dishonest in their original estimates or they were/are unable to manage their suppliers the the point they slipped my delivery by months (and counting). I’m going to wait patiently and I’m certain that it will be a quality rifle, but I’m pretty sure this could be a case study for poor business processes at business school.

I have a hunch that the custom and semi- custom firearms business is just behind the rest of industry with managing supply chains and project management.

9 hours ago, wav3rhythm said:

For MPA this is the case. They are unable to get left-handed Curtis actions. However, being able to manage 3rd party vendors is part of running a business. Either they were dishonest in their original estimates or they were/are unable to manage their suppliers the the point they slipped my delivery by months (and counting). I’m going to wait patiently and I’m certain that it will be a quality rifle, but I’m pretty sure this could be a case study for poor business processes at business school.

I have a hunch that the custom and semi- custom firearms business is just behind the rest of industry with managing supply chains and project management.

I think your still lucky, imagine if the NFA was involved :). You are getting a very nice rifle. Standard builds used to be 9-18 months for any custom rifle. Hell it's +3 months for a chamber job if you send the barrel to most gunsmiths. This is the how the business always was, but it's been getting better recently. I feel your pain, but we plan ahead now, and joke about "gunsmith time" (days = weeks).  If you're not patient, it's not the sport for you. Good luck!

Edited by Delfuego

23 hours ago, Delfuego said:

I think your still lucky, imagine if the NFA was involved :). You are getting a very nice rifle. Standard builds used to be 9-18 months for any custom rifle. Hell it's +3 months for a chamber job if you send the barrel to most gunsmiths. This is the how the business always was, but it's been getting better recently. I feel your pain, but we plan ahead now, and joke about "gunsmith time" (days = weeks).  If you're not patient, it's not the sport for you. Good luck!

Tac ops only takes two years to get you your rifle.  I agree tho, its why I haven't gone down the full custom build route and buy prefits for my actions. 

Tac ops only takes two years to get you your rifle.  I agree tho, its why I haven't gone down the full custom build route and buy prefits for my actions. 

My issue is being told 8-10 weeks and having to call at 20 weeks to see what is going on with my order. Then being told it’ll be a few more months. And it’s not just one vendor... at least I didn’t order a gun from Predator Tactical.

You’d think they’d have a better estimate after years of building the same guns.

I placed a deposit for one almost 10 Months ago and a week ago got a request for final payment. Should be getting it within the next 2-4 weeks if everything goes as planned at PVA.  Don't mind waiting.  Have to wonder how many of the JHR's they sold because it's great deal for a quality custom bolt gun.  

I remember waiting 24 Months for a new Surgeon 591 action. Took so long I decided to build another 2011 and sell the action.  Or 24 Month wait for a SVI. Took so long I had 2 STI's built and sold the SVI. 🤣

I saw that frank from snipers hide worked with ash berry precision to make a good beginner with prs long range gun that should come in right under the 2000$ mark. I don’t know much about it but I’ve seen a lot of posts about it on the hide forum

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What is your glass budget?  I always found buying glass painful. You should always spend more than you want to. 

As far as rifle goes there's alot of terrific rifles out there now I would stick to easily available calibers for 2 reasons, one the components/ ammo will be cheaper and 2 a lot of the new rounds like 6 creedmore and others will have shorter barrel life compared to the 308.

how many rounds a year do you think you will shoot?

if your looking at 6.5 or 308 I would not look at anything with a break thats a couple hundred dollars that could go towards better other parts. Ive used seekins precision for a lot over the years and their quality is very good. I have Bttom metal from them / rings/ AR lower receiver etc No complaints.