Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision rifle for $2,000

mwenger

I am looking at purchasing my first rifle for stretching out to 1,000 yards (eventually).  With a budget of $2,000 for the rifle alone, what would you all suggest?  I have been checking out the RPR, Bergara HMR, Tikka CTR/Tac A1, and the Seekins Havak.  I'm not 100% sold on a folding stock, but I'm open to suggestions.  I do know that I want it to have a threaded barrel for my suppressor...but aside from that I'm all ears.  

Its hard to argue with an rpr... i think cdnn had them in 6mm creed for like 899.   You could get the rifle and the scope for not that much over what you had budgeted for the rifle. If you don't like the stock there is space in your budget to swap it.   There are other things about it you might change as you shoot it but for me that's part of the fun of it.

The tika is also an awsome choice.

I have a rifle that was built by a fellow by the name of Tony Cannon at one of my sponsors, Doc's Pawn and Gun in Greenville, NC  The rifle was a Remington short action that Tony blueprinted. I purchased a Satern M-24 barrel from Brownells that was short chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I had it bedded in a Bell and Carlson Tactical stock and the rifle is a shooter beyond belief. Factory Hornady ammo. I shot a .187 and my fellow shooting partner shot a .208 with it. I have less than $2k in it and I also have a Jewell trigger in it. I am in the process of doing another creedmoor for a hunting rifle and also another target rifle in the new 6.5 PRC.  Give Tony a call and tell him Tommy Roupe told you to call. Tony is very reasonable. 

You are knocking on the door of building a full custom rifle with a custom action. TS Customs builds some of the best rifles out there. Give him a call and see what he can do. You will be way ahead of the game with a custom built rifle.

BTW— stick with a Timney trigger as opposed to the Jewel. The jewel is difficult with dirt or even just dust as I have experienced.

I’ve got a tikka t3x tac a1. It’ll outshoot me any day any time and is a fantastic stock rifle.  I’ve also shot the rpr since it seems like everyone of my buddies has one. It’s not a bad rifle and is submoa. Side by side the tikka is picked every time. 

Only downside is the mags are expensive. 

I had heard about the John Hancock before but had kinda forgotten about it.  I'm thinking that might be the way that I go because Patriot Valley Arms is somewhat local to me.  Now I just have to convince myself to go 6.5 instead of .308.  

3 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Thats a no brainer.

really a no brainer.  especially if you don't reload, there's a good supply of match ammo at comparable prices to 308, and definitely less wind drift.

Oh I reload and that was what had me almost leaning towards the 308 because I have a healthy supply of lapua brass and 175 SMK's.  But really if I am going to drop 2 grand on something I think 6.5 is the way to go.  

Something to learn how to stretch out to 1000 yards.  I know that is a lot easier said than done, but I love reloading and shooting so I think it will be fun to learn the ins and outs or reaching out that far.  Down the road if I feel confident with it then I would consider trying matches.  

• 2 weeks later...

I’m on the waiting list for a John Hancock in 6mm creedmoor. Thought long and hard about a 6 dasher, still not sure I made the right decision. From all accounts I have read the Tikka is a hell of a factory rifle, and you wouldn’t have the wait. For me, three lug action with crf and a manual ejector ticks all the boxes.

I ended up finding a Tikka for a steal so I ended up going with that for now.  I have a feeling a John Hancock will be happening once I'm out of nursing school.  What glass do you all suggest?  I had been looking at a vortex razor gen 1 5-20, but I might possibly try to step up to the gen 2 4.5-27.  Another option I had looked at was a steiner t series 5-25x56.  I'm open to suggestions.

I would look at the Sig Tango 4 (or Tango 6 if you can afford it) or anything Nightforce.  Are you wanting to shoot competitions?  If so, I would get something with FFP (First Focal Plane) so that your holdovers and wind holds are always the same.  When I was shooting PRS last year it was the standard.  You don't have time to dial wind in a stage with targets at different distances.  Some of the Burris scopes are good as well as the SWFA scopes.  That's the longer answer, the short answer is as much scope as you can afford.  I went cheap with a vortex gen 1 razor and it broke on a match (they did fix it).  It was a 2 day match that had a $400 entry fee and I traveled 5 hours to get there and had 3 nights motel booked.  To take and have a scope go down made me realize why people say to spend as much as you can afford on a scope and go with less of a rifle if you have to. 

The gen 1 razor was actually the scope I was looking at.  I had also looked into the gen 2 3-18 razor. I work at a gun shop so vortex is by far the best value option for me because of their incentives.  Would the gen 2 3-18 be able to handle a PRS match in the future and also have enough range to be comfortable at 1,000 yards?

27 minutes ago, mwenger said:

The gen 1 razor was actually the scope I was looking at.  I had also looked into the gen 2 3-18 razor. I work at a gun shop so vortex is by far the best value option for me because of their incentives.  Would the gen 2 3-18 be able to handle a PRS match in the future and also have enough range to be comfortable at 1,000 yards?

Absolutely. 

And would you take the 3-18 or just wait and do the 4.5-27?

BTW I appreciate the assistance from everyone that has commented on this post.  I am mostly an IDPA guy but precision rifle is all new to me.  

PRS was my primary game for a while.  I'd wait for the 4.5-27.  The majority of stages are usually shot between 10 and 15x based on the stability of the barricade, your position, or if you have really wide transitions.  However, on those stages they let you lay prone or something really solid while shooting at tiny targets or beyond 1000yds, magnification around 20 or more can help.  

2 hours ago, mwenger said:

And would you take the 3-18 or just wait and do the 4.5-27? 

I've never used my 6-24x at more than 18x, and thats only for load development. That's also the only time I really shoot prone. The bulk of my shooting with that rifle is off barricades/random objects and magnification averages from 10-15x. So my money would probably buy the 3-18x but I can't say what your shooting situation requires.

I wouldn't waste your time on a 3-18 power. It isn't about the maximum power, but the optimum performance.  The scope will perform its best around half of its max power, so if you have a 6-24 it will perform its best around 12x.  If you have a 3-18 it will be the clearest around 9x.  For that reason I'd go with the highest power you can get.  I've never wished I had less power, but many times I was running the 5-20 Gen 1 razor I have wished I had more power. 

Edited by Jeremyc_1999