Cylinder and Slide Hammer, Sear, Disconnector matched set

Steel m/s housing

SV trigger w/ short TC Enos insert

Ed Brown Wide Ambi's, trimmed somewhat

Dawson Lo-Pro mag button cut down to oval shape paddle

Ed Brown beavertail

Limcat XL firing Pin

Bomars with a .110 Dawson Front sight

Leave it in the white, send to Tripp for chroming this winter after break in.

Heh.

Glock 35.

KKM barrel.

Melted, extra-low-mount Bo-Mar BMCS rear sight.

Dawson 0.100 FO front sight.

Vanek trigger.

NHO stainless magwell, epoxy'd and blended into the frame.

Trugrip.

Factory extended magazine release.

Frame relieved on the inside to allow mags to drop free.

Dawson +5 basepads with NHO followers and 170mm ISMI springs.

Not too different from what I have now.

- Chris

• 1 month later...

Here is a possible parts list for a Limited gun I'm thinking of having built;

SLIDE STI UNIQUE 5" ( totally flat, no cuts, no serrations , no slot cut for the bushing )

BO-MAR SIGHT

FRONT SIGHT NOVAK ( if fiber optic, it'd be a Brazos )

BRILEY REVERSE PLUG GOVT. SPRINCO

WILSON TUNGSTEN GUIDE ROD

EGW OVERSIZE FIRING PIN STOP

FIRING PIN LIMCAT XL

WILSON SPRING FIRING PIN

AFTEC 40 s&w EXTRACTOR

ISMI RECOIL SPRING 12,5 lb

ULTIMATCH SCHUEMANN 5" RAMPED CLARK/PARA 40 s&w BULL BARREL

WILSON LINK N° 2-3-4

FRAME

FRAME STI 5"

WILSON BULLET PROOF SLIDE STOP

EGW EXTENDED EJECTOR

ED BROWN SS GOVT REBUILD KIT ( pin & spring )

ED BROWN SS WIDE AMBI SAFETY

KINGS SS SUPER HIGH HAND HOLD BEAVERTAIL

INFINITY HAMMER

CYLINDER & SLIDE ULTRA MATCH SEAR

INFINITY TRI GLIDE DISCONNECTOR

STI TITANIUM STRUT

STI TITANIUM CAP

INFINITY TRI GLIDE TITANIUM SEAR SPRING

STI SS MAG WELL

INFINITY INTERLOCKING TRI GLIDE TRIGGER SYSTEM ( must indicate which trigger model )

ISMI MAISPRING HOUSING SPRING 15 lb

Smith: Roberto Tagle

Flame job : http://www.labrama.com.ar/cortas/index.html :wub:

I think it's supposed to be like the O-ring that they have on the HK USP Expert.

It's supposed to act like a bushing, sort of. So it locks up tight juuussst as it closes. I shot it and I didn't like it. I can feel the hesitation, and it just ain't smooth. Kinda choppy.

The rest of the gun was sexy, and it's a neat detail, but I don't think it does any good. Andreas is a nice kid, and a good shooter, but I saw him have a a lot of gun problems (going into battery) during our long dusty day.

Tewlman, what's your exp with it?

Maybe it was something else. What do I know?

My dream gun, in fact one of them, has just been ordered.

STI Eagle, 40sw Bull Barrel, Long and wide frame , Unique slide tri topped with Front and rear serrations. Adjustable rear sight, STI competition front sight, Recoil Master, Stainless magwell, black finish with the flat of the slide and frame polished .

I mentioned Roberto Tagle about this thread and asked him to please explain the o-ring's purpose and issues it may cause.

Here's his reply. If something doesn't make much sense is probably because my understanding of spanish and english gunsmithing terminology is far from perfect.

I also mentioned dirtypool's (Eric) experience, so that's why the reply is directed to him.

Please tell Eric the only three pistols that didn't jam in the match at Santa Cruz de la Sierra where the sand was a curse were Marcos', Melian's and mine; I shot in the same squad as him and Mike and their guns had several problems. The actions he says are the excentric ones that break at 650 grams (translation note: a bit less than 23 ounces), at that weight the best thing to do is make a detent or a "finger tricker" to make precise long shots easier. You remove the first dead travel of 0.0400 inch (t.n.: 1mm) and an aprox. weight of 200 grams (t.n.: 7 ounces) until you reach a rest where the break occurs at less than 500 grams (t.n.: 17.6 ounces), arming the action again after moving back another 0.0500 inch (t.n.: 1.27mm), so the action fires and rearms in a total travel of 0.0900 inch (t.n.: 2.27mm) and a 650 grams crisp and smooth, with no dragging. Tell him to ask Mike if he likes the action on his STI... I made it.

About the O-ring, they're synthethic rubber and silicone and they stand out between 0.0015 and 0.0020 inch (t.n.: 0.038 and 0.05 mm) from the plane of the barrel, I'd say it's impossible to feel a hesitation... Maybe it was something else that caused it... The function of the O-ring is to not allow the TiN coated barrel and the slide to touch. It buffers the first contact and then it allows the metal to metal contact. There ae guns with over 20.000 rds fired with the same o-ring! They're not affected by oil nor solvent, neither the temperature from 50 non stop shots from an open gun. It doesn't collect dust because ir's fitted tightly into the cut, in any event you could wipe it with a cloth or spray WD-40 on it and that's it.

Edited by Pierruiggi

Hmm...I'm actually slowly gathering parts for my next limited gun. Still can't decide between 6" or going with a 5" so I can compete with it outside the US. Also considering 9x19 for low recoil and higher capacity...I know folks here have said the trade off to minor isn't worth it, but I've got this illogical itch...besides, I wouldn't have to worry about getting ammo to a match, since you can find cheap Winchester white box at any Walmart in the US. Here are the things I'm considering:

Option 1 -

STI standard length frame (maybe long/wide, not sure if it'd be too heavy)

6" slide absolutely swiss-cheesed to the max...after all, it'd only be shooting around 135pf loads.

9x19 Bar-Sto bull barrel (maybe fluted to reduce weight)

Bomar rear sight

Fiber optic front (EGW, Brazos, ?)

STI Titanium hammer (yes, I know they wear faster, but nothing I've seen moves as quickly)

EGW sear

STI Titanium hammer strut and mainspring cap

< 2lb. trigger pull

Swenson thumb shield ambi

Ed Brown (or similar) beavertail

STI short trigger

Dawson mag well

= With 147gr. or 160gr. bullets, it ought to be like shooting an airsoft gun, and 24+1 capacity ought to let me shoot two extra targets vs. a .40s&w with only 19+1 or 20+1 capacity.

Option 2 -

STI long/wide frame

5" slide conservatively lightened

.40s&w Bar-Sto bull barrel

Bomar rear sight

Fiber optic front (EGW, Brazos, ?)

STI Titanium hammer

EGW sear

STI Titanium hammer strut and mainspring cap

< 2lb. trigger pull

Swenson thumb shield ambi

Ed Brown (or similar) beavertail

STI short trigger

Dawson mag well

= Nothing seriously fancy. If I was going to shoot it in USPSA only, I'd go with a 6" slide with much more lightening.

I like a long sight radius. I like any parts that move to have very little mass. However, I prefer greater mass for non-moving parts.

Edited by mpolans

Pierruiggi If you have contact with them please tell Roberto and Marcos I said hello. I am hoping to sneak down for the Bolivia Open again this year, but who knows.

Also, I was / am impressed with his trigger jobs. Mike likes his. They are light and crisp. I don't understand what everyone is talking about with the "eccentric" action, but I like the feel. I've never had a problem with his trigger work.

The O-ring I felt on Andreas Mileans gun may have been very new, or as you point out, the "hitch" I felt may have been something else. It just didn't function as smoothly as the other guns Roberto had built without the O-ring. Again, like the ones he had built for Mike. I don't remember how his gun ran at last year's Bolivia Open, but Andreas did have several stoppages with us last month. I don't know the cause. The conditions were not nearly as extreme as last October when Roberto was with us.

Andreas's gun IS SEXY, I tried to steal it several times last month when he came down for "Copa Gringo Segundo". It just felt a little hitchy compared to the ones Mike shoots (built by Roberto) that don't have the O-ring. Of course it may be that Mike's are well broken in or some other factor. I'd have to look into this further before I was sure either way.

As to malfunctions that long sandy day in Santa Cruz, if he made it out without any it's a miracle. I had only arrived from the US a week or so before and was still borrowing ammo. The stuff I shot the first day was garbage, and I dug myself an 80+ point hole. The long sandy, windy saturday however, I went the whole day with no malfunctions. The gun was accurailed and less than 2k rounds through it, but I kept it in a zip lok bag and still cleaned it every 2 -3 stages.

Those were the toughest conditions I EVER shot in, a long 10 hours in blowing sand, and heat with a super tight race gun. I'm proud to say I went from 80 points behind the previous days leader (Mike) to about 30 out front.

Remind Roberto (before he remembers and rubs my nose in it) :huh: that he is the one who beat me in the shoot off. Although I would have to say it's probably because he shot better than me and not because he has an O-ring in his gun.

Edited by dirtypool40

Dirtypool,

Roberto says he and Marcos invited you to shoot the Argentine Nationals (I assume this was this past november, where you couldn't attend because you were sick?) after seeing you shoot in Sta. Cruz to "size up" local shooters against a USPSA Master shooter. He says you left a great image as a shooter and as a person... He says about the shoot off, "it was a lucky day... it happens."

He procedes to explain a bit about eccentric actions, once again, a disclaimer. This level of gunsmithing goes way past my head and is very possible I misinterpreted the core meaning of Roberto's words and as such mistranslated his explanation. I hope it wasn't the case, but it's only fair to Roberto and you to make this warning.

"The thing with eccentric actions is this: The center of gravity between the hammer strut hole and the hammer pin hole (where the pin that holds the hammer in the frame goes) is displaced and this causes the hammer to be literally hanging, that's why you must leave the beavertail fixed/pinned and at the same time make a detent on it so that the hammer bounces earlier, lifts, and engages the sear; also modify the length and curve shape of the strut and use a titunium mainspring cap... You can make actions for Open guns as low as a pound (or even less!!)... but the beavertail must have a system with a spring and a pin to help the hammer engage the sear back."

Thanks to Kathy for hosting this picture.

The following gun was build by Johnny Lim, from Limcat Custom.

Limcat2.jpg

WildCat 40

SVI wide dust cover frame

Flat Top w/racing stripes

AFTEC extractor

Limcat X-tra long firing pin

Limcat Oversized firing pin stop

Limcat Tungsten/Stainless Barrel

Limcat 360 deg. reverse plug & Limcat stainless guide rod

Wolfe 12 lbs recoil spring

Limcat magwell

Limcat extended ejector

EGW Sear

Limcat oversized pin sets

Accurail slide to frame fitting system

Serrate front and rear cocking serrations on slide

Hard Chrome

Trigger Job 1- 3/4 lbs

BE SVI Trigger insert

What can I say about it... It runs, I bought two guns from Johnny Lim and both work 100%. This gun actually won the 2005 Tennesse Sectional Limited Overall in the hands of a well know GM. I hope you guys enjoy!

Dirtypool,

Roberto says he and Marcos invited you to shoot the Argentine Nationals (I assume this was this past november, where you couldn't attend because you were sick?) after seeing you shoot in Sta. Cruz to "size up" local shooters against a USPSA Master shooter. He says you left a great image as a shooter and as a person... He says about the shoot off, "it was a lucky day... it happens."

Dude, Roberto, Marcus and the boys were great, I had dinner with them every night and drinks after we left the range. I learned a lot about international style IPSc from them just at that one match, and they made me feel like a long time friend instead of a new guy or an unwelcomed gringo.

I was primed and ready to go face off against the tough guys in Argentina (and they have some that's for sure) even had a plane ticket and everything. Then I got Salmonilla. Gosh, that was fun. Actualy I had it the weekend I shot with Roberto and Marcus, but didn't know it or treat it, that's why it got so bad. I was down from that one for a couple months.

Anyway, back to the thread, I hope someday to have a Tagle gun, and my new MC2 limted gun should be here tomorrow. Just like always it's the week before a big match and I waiting on a brand new gun. Pictures and specs to follow.

6" benny hill fat free, SV Frame, Caspian slide. After shooting the TSL match while evacuated again...... my perfect limited gun is in a box in the safe never to be shot again untill someone is "lucky" enough to buy it or I think about the match and give it away. All limited guns are all boat anchors! Sorry thought this was the hate forum?!!!