Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140mm SVI .40 mags useable with 9mm?

Turbo0321

I have 5 new SVI 140mm mag tubes for my .40 limited gun and was wondering if I was able to use them for 9mm. They weren’t cheap so instead of buying all new mags for my 9mm 2011 I was curious if a new follower and tuning the feed lips would work?

Adjusting the feed lips is not a major issue.  However, reliability might be a concern since there is a tendency for the mag to become a salt shaker--rattle rattle and jam-o-matic mag.

i wonder if adding a spacer like the old STI mags would solve the problem?

Keep us posted, please.

6 hours ago, tcazes said:

I measured my svi tubes both 9 and 40. Other than feed lip dimensions they are identical. Front to back, width, internal dimensions etc. I honestly am curious. 

Well I mean if the feed lips dimensions is the only difference between the the two mags I’m thinking they should work then. Maybe I’ll give SVI and or Atlas Gunworks a call and see what they say but I’m thinking it’s worth a shot. 

7 hours ago, tcazes said:

I measured my svi tubes both 9 and 40. Other than feed lip dimensions they are identical. Front to back, width, internal dimensions etc. I honestly am curious. 

Hmmmm. Not sure if you measured incorrectly or if something has changed  but the 9/38 super and 40 mags have always had different inside dimensions. 

I have a 170 40 mag that I changed the feedlips on many years ago and used it for 38 Super and then 9mm. Never had any issues with it so yes it can be done but I don't think it is a guaranteed thing. So proceed at your own risk. 

I just used a set of calipers to measure internal dimensions both on the grooves and in the flats. I mean the rounds are all more or less the same oal at their max so it should be more or less the same....thats a lot of feed lip tweaking though. 

Me personally.....sell the tubes and order some new ones. Never seen anyone have an issue selling svi tubes on here.