Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decision on 650 or 1050 upgrade

On 5/18/2018 at 5:29 PM, Bayou said:

lol, thanks I need 9mm sub rounds also. Damn, like the forbidden fruit.

you can use the hornaday lock rings so you can use one tool head across multiple calibers. The dies go back to the exact same spot they were when you unscrew them.

It makes caliber changes really easy. 

A fellow shooter showed me how to reload on a 550 and then he let me use his 650. It was like going from a Mini to a Porsche. I ended up buying a 650 and I really like it, however, if I had money to spend I'd go for a 1050 and set it up for 9mm (which is really the majority of what I shoot).

Yah I'm planning on the 1050 and loading a few calibres. Whats funny is when I first got the 550 I thought I would load a bunch of calibres but it ended up 3 with dies for a 4th. I'm sure it's not too bad with the lock rings but I'm lazy. 650 would be enough or more than enough but I'm midway through life and work a ton.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking of moving up to a 1050 because if issues with my 650 for  pistol. I know the 1050 just has the one year warranty. After that is it easy to get parts if problems occur with the 1050. Asking 1050 owners for advice. I am a little concerned being having the issues and sending my 650 back to dillon twice. Are there any issues or things to maybe look foward to in stepping up to 1050. And also does Dillon go past the one year and take care of issues with 1050s. Just asking before I take the leap. Been wanting a1050 for awhile but with these recent repairs by Dillon on my 650 has me a little gun shy so to speak to make the jump to the 1050 because it doesn’t have the no bs warranty with it.  Any advice appreciated. 

Edited by Dirtchevy841

10 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I am thinking of moving up to a 1050 because if issues with my 650 for  pistol. I know the 1050 just has the one year warranty. After that is it easy to get parts if problems occur with the 1050. Asking 1050 owners for advice. I am a little concerned being having the issues and sending my 650 back to dillon twice. Are there any issues or things to maybe look foward to in stepping up to 1050. And also does Dillon go past the one year and take care of issues with 1050s. Just asking before I take the leap. Been wanting a1050 for awhile but with these recent repairs by Dillon on my 650 has me a little gun shy so to speak to make the jump to the 1050 because it doesn’t have the no bs warranty with it.  Any advice appreciated. 

I wouldn’t sweat the one year warranty with the 1050. I would however decide to hold off and see how the new Mark7 Evolution press turns out to be. 

I upgraded from a LNL-AP to a 650 with a case feeder and it's a huge improvement. However I am wondering if I should have gone with the 1050. I shoot primarily 9mm and 223, I also load for family and friends. Being able to process 223 brass, swage and trim on the 1050 is a big plus to me. I also load 2-3k 45acp rounds a year but I am considering picking up a used SDB to handle that minor chore.

Edited by NateTSU