Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I don't shoot big matches or even worry about my score too much. I just shoot to relax and hang out with people. So my question is just out of Curiosity. Do you think 3GN is accurate when they classify shooters. I've only shot a few classifiers and 3GN has me listed as a semipro. On one hand  I'm rather proud that I made semipro for the small amount of time I have to put into practicing. But on the other hand I don't feel that classifiers take everything into consideration. Just because I can stand in a box and shoot fairly fast doesn't mean that I'm very good at planing how to shoot a stage, figuring out exactly where to stand to hit 3 clays with one shot or planning when/where/how much or even if to reload. It also doesn't mean I can move and shoot at the same time.  There has been many times when I came in 3rd or 4th a local matches and there was a 80 point gap between me and the first place person and they were classified as an expert or even high marksman. Am I missing something when it comes to classifying shooters?

Sorry, but no.  It's the same way that USPSA classifications don't necessarily mean that you will perform well at a major match.  Plenty of Masters and GM's finished in the 70% range...

Also, those "titles" associated with each class could have easily been called something different.  That said, it still takes a certain type of skill to move up class in any sport, so it's not completely arbitrary.  Just don't go telling people you're a semi-professional shooter just because you hold that title from 3GN ?

2 hours ago, bluedevil008 said:

Sorry, but no.  It's the same way that USPSA classifications don't necessarily mean that you will perform well at a major match.  Plenty of Masters and GM's finished in the 70% range...

Also, those "titles" associated with each class could have easily been called something different.  That said, it still takes a certain type of skill to move up class in any sport, so it's not completely arbitrary.  Just don't go telling people you're a semi-professional shooter just because you hold that title from 3GN ?

I just tell people I'm here for fun? classifications don't mean much to me. I was just curious how it worked. I don't think I'm anywhere near semi pro. When it gets too competitive it stops being fun. 

6 hours ago, blacklab said:

I just tell people I'm here for fun? classifications don't mean much to me. I was just curious how it worked. I don't think I'm anywhere near semi pro. When it gets too competitive it stops being fun. 

That's a good attitude to have.  classifications in 3GN were never fully integrated.  You'd have legit professional shooters classified in the middle tiers, some with no classification at all, shooting and winning major matches.  Kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion.  Every since I hit A class in USPSA, I've not put much weight on class and really just tried to get solid finishes in my division.

If I undertsand correctly, your classification may change as more people shoot he classifiers through the year.  For example - I just classified as "Pro" in the Heavy division, and even shot the top score in a couple of the classifiers.  But (especially in Heavy) very few people have shot those classifiers yet this year - so it's a bit like saying I was winning a match before everyone else shot all the stages.

Maybe.  It's all a bit confusing -