Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Digital Scale???

I'm looking to buy another digital powder scale. I only load pistol cartridges. I want something that isn't going to break the bank but not going to be a piece of junk either. Looking for recommendations. 

My friend has a Gempro 250 that he swears by for loading .338 lapua. He swears by it but I've never had the chance to see it or mess around with it. Guess I'll have to go over to his place and play around with it.

On 5/13/2018 at 2:48 PM, Peebles24 said:

I am using the rcbs charge master lite and im very pleased. Out of over 500 rounds weighed it was over .1 5 times never been over more than .1. I just dumped them back in and hit the button again.

The chargemaster is overkill for me. Don't need a scale that dispenses powder. I only reload pistol cartridges and almost all of that is .40 on my super 1050. I had a small digital hornady scale that I really liked until i compared it to my friends beam scale and digital scale and it is .6gr off. I recalibrated it and it was still .2gr off. I wondered why my .40 reloads for USPSA seemed a little harsh. I was at max data for jacketed ammo with hitek coated lead bullets. 190+PF ammo hurts the hands.

I was thinking about a new scale and you guys and a few internet searches convinced me to get the GemPro 250.

Brownells has them on sale today for 129.99 with free shipping over 49.00, code MCP. Look forward to seeing if it's an upgrade from my 19.99 Frankford Arsenal.

Dave

A&D FX-120i... be prepared for sticker shock though.

But that scale paired with the auto-trickler setup is the new hot ticket in precision powder throwing.

I think a prometheus still beats it, but the above setup is at least "affordable".

3 hours ago, rjacobs said:

A&D FX-120i... be prepared for sticker shock though.

But that scale paired with the auto-trickler setup is the new hot ticket in precision powder throwing.

I think a prometheus still beats it, but the above setup is at least "affordable".

Wow that is sticker shock but a hell of a scale. My friend shoots precision rifle and uses that scale with a auto-trickler. He doesn't have a single complaint about it. 

You can't say you want the best, then say you don't want to break the bank.  Either you want the best or you don't. 

No matter what make or model you settle on, you also need a set check weights (best if they are close to what weight you are typically weighing) for periodic verification.  Weights, unless grossly misused don't change, so a decent set will last forever.  You can get by with making your own, so long as it's durable (metal of some sort) and you verify it's weight with more than one scale. 

18 hours ago, DRock said:

I was thinking about a new scale and you guys and a few internet searches convinced me to get the GemPro 250.

Brownells has them on sale today for 129.99 with free shipping over 49.00, code MCP. Look forward to seeing if it's an upgrade from my 19.99 Frankford Arsenal.

Dave

I seen that last night. Time to order one up. The sale price and free shipping makes it a great deal. Most used Gempro 250 are selling for close to that price.

1 hour ago, Tom S. said:

You can't say you want the best, then say you don't want to break the bank.  Either you want the best or you don't. 

No matter what make or model you settle on, you also need a set check weights (best if they are close to what weight you are typically weighing) for periodic verification.  Weights, unless grossly misused don't change, so a decent set will last forever.  You can get by with making your own, so long as it's durable (metal of some sort) and you verify it's weight with more than one scale. 

Only check weight I ever had was 100g included with the hornady scale I have. It is more of recalibration weight and not a check weight. While doing some digging on the Gempro 250 I ran across a youtube video with a guy using the Lyman check weights. I would have caught my current scale was off .6gr a lot sooner if I had the check weights. 

32 minutes ago, bjones6686 said:

Only check weight I ever had was 100g included with the hornady scale I have. It is more of recalibration weight and not a check weight. While doing some digging on the Gempro 250 I ran across a youtube video with a guy using the Lyman check weights. I would have caught my current scale was off .6gr a lot sooner if I had the check weights. 

RCBS makes a couple different sets of check weights so you can mix and match to assure you are accurate in the weight range of the charge you will be throwing. 

3 minutes ago, bwikel said:

RCBS makes a couple different sets of check weights so you can mix and match to assure you are accurate in the weight range of the charge you will be throwing. 

Thanks for the heads up. I want a set that has a bunch of smaller grain check weights since I only reload pistol calibers. Most of my powder charges are between 4-7 grains of powder. I'll have to look at the Lyman and RCBS sets and see whats best for me.

3 minutes ago, bjones6686 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I want a set that has a bunch of smaller grain check weights since I only reload pistol calibers. Most of my powder charges are between 4-7 grains of powder. I'll have to look at the Lyman and RCBS sets and see whats best for me.

Here is the one I use and it covers all the ranges I use. 

http://usa.palmettostatearmory.com/rcbs-scale-check-weight-set-std-98990.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwre_XBRDVARIsAPf7zZgaTsWUwplidYCBn6zXwpvaW8_i6WcHFgpGCSFauFG12h9DW63oJzAaAixXEALw_wcB

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...