Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for steel challenge (safe) holster recommendation

schrja

Hi all,   

I just bought a 9mm CZ Tactical Sports for use as a steel challenge gun.  I thought I would try a speed rig for the first time and bought a CR WSM II .  However, some dry fire practice with this setup has me running a bit scared.  Not sure if I am up to using it with live ammo.  What has me worried is the draw from surrender.  I am working with a timer to try and develop a 1 sec draw and when I push the speed I have enough torso movement to pop the gun from the holster before my hand is even on it.  This does not happen from a low ready and I suspect practice will still my body enough so this is not a problem. but until then I feel at risk using this thing.

Are there additional setup steps I should be making to make this thing safe?  more shims or a different retention clip?

Or should I try a Safariland 014?  This one has reviewers saying it will not release on forward movement so maybe it is more clutz-proof?

Or should I just stay with a standard bladetech belt ride holster until my draw is a bit more polished?

It didn't help that when I was looking for reviews on these things I found an account of someone shooting himself with one (the CR)

Any advice would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, stick said:

Can you explain further?  How do you have a lot of torso movement from surrender?  

The torso movement is a result of or counter to the momentum created as my right elbow rotates from roughly pointing straight forward to straight back.   This corresponds to the movement of my hand from the high position to the grip.  By the time my hand arrives at a position just over or along side the grip, the small forward-and-back movement of my hip will have popped the gun loose from the retaining clip.   I find this small forward and back movement is very hard to stop when moving my hand fast; it is equally sudden to and opposite of the acceleration in my arm as it rotates to position my hand at the gun.  So the result is a very small and violent "snap" of the hip.   

Maybe this is a result of years of martial arts training in which the hip drives most arm movements, or maybe this is just clutzy on my part.  Whatever the case, it needs to be fixed either with a holster that is secure under this acceleration, or by learning how to suppress the hip snap.

It has occurred to me that a lower holster position might help a bit, but I am resisting that because of the large hands problem.  Not much room for my thumb between  pistol and hangar parts once the holster drops the grip front strap much below the belt.

1 hour ago, schrja said:

The torso movement is a result of or counter to the momentum created as my right elbow rotates from roughly pointing straight forward to straight back.   This corresponds to the movement of my hand from the high position to the grip.  By the time my hand arrives at a position just over or along side the grip, the small forward-and-back movement of my hip will have popped the gun loose from the retaining clip.   I find this small forward and back movement is very hard to stop when moving my hand fast; it is equally sudden to and opposite of the acceleration in my arm as it rotates to position my hand at the gun.  So the result is a very small and violent "snap" of the hip.   

Maybe this is a result of years of martial arts training in which the hip drives most arm movements, or maybe this is just clutzy on my part.  Whatever the case, it needs to be fixed either with a holster that is secure under this acceleration, or by learning how to suppress the hip snap.

It has occurred to me that a lower holster position might help a bit, but I am resisting that because of the large hands problem.  Not much room for my thumb between  pistol and hangar parts once the holster drops the grip front strap much below the belt.

You shouldn't have any torso movement from surrender.  I know that some people tend to "Load" their bodies when they draw, but it shouldn't dislodge the gun at all.  Maybe a video would help determine unnecessary movement.