Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Delta Point Pro ??

TANFARM

Hopefully last DPP update. After third unit failed , I contacted Leupold for the umteenth time and talked with a very helpful technician Lloyd Jones.....explained my exasperated situation to him and in short order said “ send me 2 units back and I’ll check them out and replace them”.....and damn if he didn’t ....replaced 2 units on main and back up pistol... maybe 1000 rounds with no problems so far....knock on wood !!!!!

Thank you Lloyd for trying to make this mess right!!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, TANFARM said:

Hopefully last DPP update. After third unit failed , I contacted Leupold for the umteenth time and talked with a very helpful technician Lloyd Jones.....explained my exasperated situation to him and in short order said “ send me 2 units back and I’ll check them out and replace them”.....and damn if he didn’t ....replaced 2 units on main and back up pistol... maybe 1000 rounds with no problems so far....knock on wood !!!!!

Thank you Lloyd for trying to make this mess right!!

Glad to hear they are finally running as they should.

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, nick779 said:

Just curious as im looking at picking up a new DPP in the next few weeks. How is everyones holding up since all the issues/fixes?

I’ve been running one for two years without an issue. It probably has an honest 3,500-4,500 rounds as a slideride, another 1,000 mounted on a Ruger 22/45 for steel.

99% of owners don’t report because you don’t chat online about something working the way it’s supposed to. Here you see the problems.

Now. That said. *EVERY* competitive slideride dot seems to die within 8-15k. The DPP is the most reliable, but current tech just isn’t going to take that battering for much longer than that. All the guys who placed highly at Nats brought a spare gun, or optic, (usually both) with them. That says something.

Whenever mine dies I’ll order a replacement and send this one in for warranty to keep as my backup optic.

35 minutes ago, nick779 said:

Just curious as im looking at picking up a new DPP in the next few weeks. How is everyones holding up since all the issues/fixes?

My DPP purchased less than 1 year ago has about 10,000 rounds but it is frame mounted on my Open gun. Replaced the battery last month, no issues so far. 

I have my first DP Pro, and not real happy.  I have the a couple of the older delta points and they have been bulletproof.  this new one has been trouble.  Had to go to back up gun on first match, dot was so dim could hardly pick-up on a cloudy day. then it would not turn on.  Got home, turned on dim, put new battery in twice and seems to be working.  Honestly I hate where the on/off switch is.  When you do want turn off, you cannot see if dot is off until you move your finger, if not back in,  frustrating.

Two on two different open guns w/ back ups still nib, 9mm/38sc, after two years, so far they work great. The battery life is awesome; I never turn off the power and just change the battery every 3 or 4 months.

17 hours ago, shakin_bakin said:

Well, my DPP just died this weekend. Right at 2000 rounds. I have a backup on hand. But a little shocked it died so fast. 

One of my units died twice within first 5K. I am not that surprised.

11 hours ago, cconnection said:

I have my first DP Pro, and not real happy.  I have the a couple of the older delta points and they have been bulletproof.  this new one has been trouble.  Had to go to back up gun on first match, dot was so dim could hardly pick-up on a cloudy day. then it would not turn on.  Got home, turned on dim, put new battery in twice and seems to be working.  Honestly I hate where the on/off switch is.  When you do want turn off, you cannot see if dot is off until you move your finger, if not back in,  frustrating.

Just so you know, the DPP is motion activated. It turns off by itself and wakes up upon movement. You do not need to dim it, since this is simply just lowering the output. I would make sure that you are reaching maximum brightness as well. You will know when you reach that point because the dot will blink at you. 

Hope this helps. 

6 hours ago, YVK said:

One of my units died twice within first 5K. I am not that surprised.

I found that the little tape that holds the silver connector to the contacts in the battery compartment was coming up a little and the silver contact had slide down and was no longer center. I slide it up and it works again.... but probably only until I fire it once or twice.

That's a well known failure point. That little plastic is all that holds the dome contact in place. Leupold is working on this, but I think they just got the prototypes that supposedly address it ready for testing. So far I dunno of any user hacks that can fix it. I'd send it in.

I am running nothing but Burris fast fire threes, on my dotted Guns. Never ever an issue.  I’ve seen too many people at the couple of nationals that I have worked having trouble with the DP pro 

I've got a Burris FFIII, slide mounted on a .45, for the last 3 or 4 years and it has worked perfectly with no problems.  I realize some of the others have a few neater designs but the FFIII has been very good for me.

Taurus .45 ACP.JPG

Had a guy at a match yesterday with a brand new DPP. Dot kept shutting off mid stage. I’m gonna stick with my $200 vortex that seems to always work until something more reliable hits the market. 

Just mounted a new DPP on my Glock 34 G3.   Was like a little kid at Christmas.   Sight it in at 15 yards on a metric.  All well and good.  Now off to the steel plates.  Sadly It did not make it through 6 strings.  Turned off twice at random while firing.

This was gong to be my jump into CO.   This has kind of squashed the will now.  

I have contacted Leopold via email.

And it continues.....metal contact on base off DPP slipped off to the side....intermittent contact and unit would not shut off.

Received a note from Leupold....approximately 36 days for repair....I’m done with all this.....

4 hours ago, TANFARM said:

And it continues.....metal contact on base off DPP slipped off to the side....intermittent contact and unit would not shut off.

Received a note from Leupold....approximately 36 days for repair....I’m done with all this.....

Dang!  

What are you guys zeroing these dots at? 

I zeroed mine at ~20yd but at 3-12yd it's poi as expected is about 1.5" down.

Do you all just mentally note to aim high with no shoots at close range?

Yes

1 hour ago, nick779 said:

What are you guys zeroing these dots at? 

I zeroed mine at ~20yd but at 3-12yd it's poi as expected is about 1.5" down.

Do you all just mentally note to aim high with no shoots at close range?

From a supported position, I zero at 50 yards.

Yes, hold over on close danger targets. Your aiming point on close targets should be part of your walk through.

Here is the dope on my guns shooting MG115JHP's at 1500 fps. 50 yard zero will also be zero near 20 yards depending primarily on how high your dot is over bore axis and velocity of your bullet. First benefit of zeroing at longer range is you should be able to fine-tune closer to center of target.

2nd thing is you reduce windage offset with off-center optic mount. Another benefit to shooting groups off a bag at 50 yards is you verify you & your gun can do it. If anything isn't right, you will see it here.

yds hold (" over/under POA)

0    -1.1
5    -.8
10    -.5
15    -.2
20    ZERO
25    .1
30    .2
35    .2
40    .2
45    .1
50    ZERO

Batteries are really important!  Only use Duracell.  Check the voltage with a multimeter. The other batteries are thinner and don’t make a good Contact and you will loose your dot!   Say no to Energizer etc.

Also I remove my battery every so often and clean the contacts with an alcohol lens wipe to remove oil and corrosion.  This is very important.  Gotta have the correct thickness from the battery “Duracell”, gotta be clean to allow correct voltage to illuminate the dot, got to have correct voltage to begin with.