Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Delta Point Pro ??

TANFARM

I’m curious about red dot failures....  I was practicing the other day and it was easily 100 degrees out in full sun.  My gun was hot and my Romeo 3 was too.  Like almost too hot to touch.  I wonder if all that heat can mess up internal electronics? 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I’m boring you..please tell me to hush up.....DPP...received first repair last Tuesday.installed sighted in..match results..same problem as before...will not go to brightest setting, will not shut off and went to “sleep” right before I started shooting..made it through the match.

talked with nice folks at Leupold again ( we are on a first name basis)..sorry for my trouble and sent me another return label..second ones going back.

I was curious about simply getting one new unit to replace one of the three I own, was told they are NOT shipping any DPP out as of now...some screw problem...well the beat goes on......standing by.........

1 hour ago, TANFARM said:

If I’m boring you..please tell me to hush up.....DPP...received first repair last Tuesday.installed sighted in..match results..same problem as before...will not go to brightest setting, will not shut off and went to “sleep” right before I started shooting..made it through the match.

talked with nice folks at Leupold again ( we are on a first name basis)..sorry for my trouble and sent me another return label..second ones going back.

I was curious about simply getting one new unit to replace one of the three I own, was told they are NOT shipping any DPP out as of now...some screw problem...well the beat goes on......standing by.........

Because of these recent issues with the DPP I switched the optic on my current Atlas build to the Romeo 3. Will report back when it’s here. 

4 hours ago, chenault said:

I'm kind of in the same boat.  If I knew where to get a 6 moa one I'd already have one.

Yeah I wish they had a 6 MOA model, I will say handling the DPP and Romeo side by side the Romeo dot is crisper and a touch bigger IMO.

On 6/22/2018 at 10:57 PM, Knguyen1904 said:

Mine recently shut off randomly during a match and I’ve noticed the brightness dimming and going back up during recoil. Anyone else experience this? Am I better off switching my rts 2 off my backup gun? I have a slideride too on a 90 degree mount too and considering going back to it 

Mine did this last night. Started off on bright then went up and down on recoil. A new battery fixed it though. I hadnt used it in a few months. 

Hopefully it stays good. I need another but rethinking that now. 

11 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Mine did this last night. Started off on bright then went up and down on recoil. A new battery fixed it though. I hadnt used it in a few months. 

Hopefully it stays good. I need another but rethinking that now. 

If you have not already. Make sure the tabs that contact the battery has enough spring tension. It may be having trouble contacting the battery. Just a thought!

I just got my email confirming that they will be sending my repaired DPP back.  It was 24 days exactly.  If it behaves okay, I'll send my other one back for the same repair.  Has anyone read anything about issues with the DPP screws stretching?

My gunsmith who milled my slide for my DPP put stainless steel screws in place of the factory screws. He told me the factory screws do not hold up, they “stretch”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My gunsmith who milled my slide for my DPP put stainless steel screws in place of the factory screws. He told me the factory screws do not hold up, they “stretch”.

Where did he get the stainless screws?
Will buy a box!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RAP said:

I’m calling BS on the screws stretching. At the torque value used, I doubt your stretching anything. 

I don't know where my gunsmith bought the screws. He told me he replaces whenever he mills a slide for a red dot. 

As far as "stretching"; I agree the factory screws don't actually stretch or elongate. However, the gunsmith said the screws are not that hard and will strip easily and not hold. I work in the steel industry and my company has a very nice testing lab. I have wanted to take the factory supplied screws and check the Rockwell B value out of curiosity. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to doing this.

Yes they are soft I’ve replaced two sets for my original DPs in the last 3 years because of battery replacement. First set was from S&W second set was from Leupold as S&W doesn’t (won’t?) carry them.
Would like to find the stainless ones.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/26/2018 at 5:50 PM, lacivilian said:

Because of these recent issues with the DPP I switched the optic on my current Atlas build to the Romeo 3. Will report back when it’s here. 

I just did the same thing yesterday. Hopefully the Romeo 3 will hold up!

Edited by kitestir

6 minutes ago, kitestir said:

I just did the same thing yesterday. Hopefully the Romeo 3 will hold up!

I am hoping for the same thing, the other running thread on red dots has some great reviews of the Romeo 3.

Has Anyone that has made the switch to the Romeo 3 have a large amount of rounds ran with it? My deltapoint recently started doing weird things . It had shut off once right after make ready in a match with a fresh battery and in live fire practice I’ve noticed it dimming and brightening and appearing to randomly be shitting off. Is this a common issue ? I ran a cmore rts off my backup gun yesterday in a match for the first time and seems to work well but is not nearly as bright as the DPP. Can anyone tell me if the Romeo 3 has been reliable?

Edited by Knguyen1904

I have maybe 2 cases of bullets through with my Romeo 3 and it is still going strong.  I was practicing one day and the dot turned itself off in the middle of a string and I thought oh crap, here we go.... but then I thought that I hadn’t ever changed the battery and I’ve had the thing on since January and have shot a bunch of matches and done a ton of dry fire with it, maybe the battery is going dead...  sure enough.

At the optics nationals last year we saw a lot of people having trouble with the DPP. Julie Golob was in our squad her another master shooter and they had problems the entire match. My original DP has never blinked. I use Burris FF3’s now, since the original DP is not available any longer

It seemed like it was 4-5 days before I heard from them again.  I got mine back in the mail today.  It shuts down and wakes up as it should.  The dot seems a bit  more crisp.  I'll take it to the range tomorrow and see if it keeps working.

I've now had 3 DPP's repaired under warranty. Took like a month to get them sent out, fixed, and returned.  2 wouldn't turn on, 1 wouldn't stay on for more than a minute. From what I've gathered its just the nature of the beast with optics mounted on slides. I've also seen T1's break, RMR type 1 & 2's break, and all the vortex offerings. In my experience the RMR type 2's have held up the best. I now just have a backup gun with me at every match.

The oem screws for the DPP suck too. Bolt stretch IS a thing, I see it all the time where I work when items are put through intense g-force/shock/vibration. According to Hooke's Law ( dl = F L / E A )  , stretch is a very real thing and can be calculated ( though it is a very small number).                    

Edited by Reekus

• 3 weeks later...

Update....received my second DPP repair back last week. Seemed to be working correctly. Same repair description as first one....replace circuit board , test , etc,.

Hoping this one holds up...I’m getting very adept at switching optics out.

I will say the people I’ve been in contact with at Leupold have been helpful and pleasant to deal with The last gentleman said they have less than a 1%  return/repair rate on all their optics......interesting.....and the beat goes on.