Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open 9mm ejection problem

wyomingballer

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Sti Matchmaster very similar with the trubor. Had same problem. Aftec help but still have like 3 out of 8 stages.  Got the Brozos pre tuned ejector and kept the aftec.  Worked perfect. It ejects at the right angle not hitting the CMore.  

I agree this will help. 

Did you actually get the Brazos or just file yours? The Brazos is longer than most. I would try that before 90 degree mount. I got the Brazos and an offset mount like a Cheelie. No more issues. Unfortunately I installed both at same time. So I have no idea which fixed it.

I really did not want to to do the 90 degree ones.

Like I said before, I screwed around with the standard mount for about a month trying to get reliable ejection, gave up, went to a 90 mount and ~50k rounds later, no failures. It may not be a symmetrical look, but to me, performance trumps looks every time. (another advantage is less parallax error with the lower mounted glass)

DSC00599.JPG

IMG_20161001_085838_502 (Medium).jpg

Brazos method for extractor tuning is not necessarily the best way to go.  And the AFTEC is not designed to be set up that way.  The AFTEC comes with detailed instructions on how to fit and tune it and if you modified it per Brazos, it's probably not going to work.  In addition to extractor tuning, you probably also need to tune (or replace) your ejector.  That needs to be set up properly for length, impact point on the case, and relieved so the cases roll off to the side vs. up and into the mount.  

3 hours ago, wyomingballer said:

Well here we go!!a2132012cb6adb8b031985eec8d972f6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm sure you will find it much better not to have to have "is it going to jam" in the back of your mind. Much easier to concentrate on shooting and moving.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 11:38 PM, wyomingballer said:

I need some help. My 9mm is have a problem ejecting. The brass is turning backwards and not ejecting. The weird part is that this only happens after cleaning... 3-4 jams in the first 50 rounds. After that no issues at all. This happens with a standard extractor and with the aftec...003878ea0726b37177f58698fa141454.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Two things can be done to fix this. Tune the ejector and or Lower the ejection port. Tuning the ejector is they way to go, lowering the ejection port can compromise the slide and cause a crack earlier then expected. If it’s a minor gun lower it.

I had the same problems with my 9mm open gun when it was new. I tuned the ejector and all of the problems went away. I used my Limited gun as a guide.

I forgot that I had to tune the extractor too. It would not hold the case in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 hours ago, RonPogi said:

watch @ 1:38-1:40   that is exactly what  happened to your casing

From the photo that's 3 posts above yours, I would say probably not.  Nice video though.  Them gloves are tacticool!

Isn't this actually a timing issue? I don't see any marks on scope mount. 

If you shoot with minor ammo, is there any issues? If not and these only happen with major ammo, timing might be of. I had similar issue on my matchmaster and it was fixed by professional gunsmith. I tried everything on my own without solving issues with matchmaster.

5 hours ago, Kema said:

Isn't this actually a timing issue? I don't see any marks on scope mount. 

If you shoot with minor ammo, is there any issues? If not and these only happen with major ammo, timing might be of. I had similar issue on my matchmaster and it was fixed by professional gunsmith. I tried everything on my own without solving issues with matchmaster.

The sings on the mount are usually underneath and really not visible until you get in close and look.