Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open 9mm ejection problem

wyomingballer

I need some help. My 9mm is have a problem ejecting. The brass is turning backwards and not ejecting. The weird part is that this only happens after cleaning... 3-4 jams in the first 50 rounds. After that no issues at all. This happens with a standard extractor and with the aftec...003878ea0726b37177f58698fa141454.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, 38super said:

At first glance, I'd say we were being punked.  Look for ejected brass marks under the scope mount.  It's a combination of ejector length and extractor. tension. 

And also the profile of the ejector tip.  I doubt we are being punked as I had the same thing happen during my upright mount trials. Sidemore and keeping both eyes open ended my trials.

Find someone to tube your ejector. 9mm and upright scope mounts are difficult to get to 100%. You are close! I gave up on vertical when the best I could get was 1 jam every other match.
That is the next path I was going to head down.
Being a used gun I thing I might order a new one and start from scratch.

At first glance, I'd say we were being punked.  Look for ejected brass marks under the scope mount.  It's a combination of ejector length and extractor. tension. 
I wish I was only joking with this. It is driving me nuts. Just hope it will work out at area 1 next week.

There are 2 pages on "9mm extractor tuning" started Arpil 10 about this

same thing. It probably has everything that would be put on your thread. 

Not all parts are drop in. Even the Aftec may need to be tuned. 

There are 2 pages on "9mm extractor tuning" started Arpil 10 about this
same thing. It probably has everything that would be put on your thread. 

Not all parts are drop in. Even the Aftec may need to be tuned. 
Awesome thanks not sure how I missed that thread. I will definitely take a look.

I had my gunsmith "attempt" to tune mine to work with a horizontal CMore mount, didn't work 100%, the end result was that it was decided that the only way to get complete reliability was to separate the cases by headstamp and tune the extractor/ejector to that particular brand of case. I decided that that would negate the reason for 9 major (cheap/free brass), so I installed a 90 degree mount, end of problem.

I had the other thread awhile back. I could never get 100%

Got about 1 in 200 or about one a match. I made an offset mount that moved the cmor over .225" of an inch.

That thread is in the gunsmithing threads.

Ejector profile to keep brass from hitting the hood low and bouncing back into the CMore as well as extractor tension we're the biggest help.

I tried a sideways mount several years ago (the smith who built the gun couldn't tune the ejector/extractor for 9 major).  The gun ran but, I didn't.  The mount/C-More blocked too much of my field of view.

Sold the gun, bought a SV IMM, no issues.

I bought a Match Master year and a half ago, and had the same issues your picture shows (and others).

Bought a DPP and it resolved the issue, until it failed (Leupold replaced it, traded it for a 7.5, and it failed).

I reinstalled the factory mount and slide ride, read a lot of posts on resolving ejection issues with 9 Major, and discovered I went the wrong way with the ejector.  Joey Hardy (smith who built shorties in the 2000's called the Mongoose), put a 5-7 degree cut on the ejector to ensure the brass ejected low enough to clear the scope.  I tried duplicating his tune and failed.  I read several posts stating that the brass could be ejecting too low, hitting the bottom of the ejection port and then bouncing into the mount.  I'd bought several ejectors to experiment with, so I reversed the cut.  It worked.  I'm now 8-10K rounds without any FTE's.

Don't give up or be afraid to try something unorthodox.

I tried a sideways mount several years ago (the smith who built the gun couldn't tune the ejector/extractor for 9 major).  The gun ran but, I didn't.  The mount/C-More blocked too much of my field of view.

Sold the gun, bought a SV IMM, no issues.

I bought a Match Master year and a half ago, and had the same issues your picture shows (and others).
Bought a DPP and it resolved the issue, until it failed (Leupold replaced it, traded it for a 7.5, and it failed).

I reinstalled the factory mount and slide ride, read a lot of posts on resolving ejection issues with 9 Major, and discovered I went the wrong way with the ejector.  Joey Hardy (smith who built shorties in the 2000's called the Mongoose), put a 5-7 degree cut on the ejector to ensure the brass ejected low enough to clear the scope.  I tried duplicating his tune and failed.  I read several posts stating that the brass could be ejecting too low, hitting the bottom of the ejection port and then bouncing into the mount.  I'd bought several ejectors to experiment with, so I reversed the cut.  It worked.  I'm now 8-10K rounds without any FTE's.

Don't give up or be afraid to try something unorthodox.
That is what I'm about to do. Just wish I had more time before area1

24 minutes ago, wyomingballer said:

Thanks that was pointed out to me and that is the next step.

Or if you don't want to grind and file... Bob sells ejectors that are pre prepped.