Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too popple...or not to popple.

Broncman

Well, I decided to popple. After building my first open pistol using a Brazos Thundrcomp SX2 Trubore, I was never thrilled with it.

Always hear about shooting flat etc and after loading to nearly 180 PF using HS6, AA7 and 3N38 ,then up to 175 with auto comp,  I never got it what I thought was good enough.

Tried different springs and settled on HS6 and an 8 lb spring. I just could not slow down on the longer shots and would get miss or a wide shot.

I know practice plays a lot into this, but I want to shoot fast !! 

I added 2 popple holes and it honestly made a difference! Was worried about accuracy loss, but there was none I could tell. Went to the local indoor range with some different loads and ended up at 7.8 grains HS6. When it quits raining I will Chrono.

Should have poppled sooner.  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just added 2 5/32 holes in my sps vista short.  I should have done this long ago tooo.  25-30% less dot movement:)  I’m running 9.9 aa7 under 115 at 170ish PF.  I’m still working on loads but this one feels very good.  

1B7DE708-543D-4C3D-903F-0A0EC90555EC.jpeg

Edited by Bwilmot

Aandabooks just poppled my second gun. I was on the fence as well and had it done to my backup gun first. Huge improvement. He just did the second one now.

ac38b12236b34cc56b165bd402311808.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have wo 3/16" poppels in my Open gun.  My upright mount has a blast shield, but the lens of the C-More does get a little dirty after two matches.  It is quite easy to clean, and does not damage the lens.

My next Open gun will have poppels in the comp, probably in a V2 arrangement.

8 hours ago, Broncman said:

How dirty does y'all CMore lenses get?

When I used to use liquid oil for lubrication, I had to clean

my C-More lens after each stage   :(

Since I switched to Brian's Slide-Glide, I NEVER get my lens dirty, anymore   :)  

Gases out of my popple holes never touch my cmore lens. The hole nearest to the lens is angled a bit forward emitting  gas away from the lens that serves as a wall to the remaining gases forward of it. Its a schuemann.  

On May 11, 2018 at 10:23 PM, Broncman said:

How dirty does y'all CMore lenses get?

As posted below,. If the ports are slightly angled forward there is little to no lens residue.  Below is a clip from a short test video I made.  You will note the port on the c-more side is angled forward more than the front port which then blocks the gases from moving towards the sight.  I run an 90deg no shield c- more and am able to stay pretty clear.

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been on the fence on adding popple holes for a while now.  Can you guys provide some additional details on your personal experiences (e.g. how much reduced dot movement, does it hit harder now, any change in splits, how much more powder needed for same pf, etc)?   

I’m currently using 8.7gr hs6 with PD 115 jhp at 1.165 to get 170pf, so my barrel seems fast enough to take the holes without having to overfill the case with powder. 

I’ve been on the fence on adding popple holes for a while now.  Can you guys provide some additional details on your personal experiences (e.g. how much reduced dot movement, does it hit harder now, any change in splits, how much more powder needed for same pf, etc)?   

I’m currently using 8.7gr hs6 with PD 115 jhp at 1.165 to get 170pf, so my barrel seems fast enough to take the holes without having to overfill the case with powder. 

Mine was fast also. Making Pf lower than most other charges posted on here.

Adding 3 popples only reduced my FPS by 40.

In my book total improvement. Yes more violent in hand in my opinion but what I would describe as snappier. Less height in dot travel. I still ended up going away from 125’s to 115’s but I think the popple holes were at least that same amount of difference if not more.

In terms of shooting it has basically taken a 10-12yd 8” steel plate from being, shot,watch dot return, shot - to now being 2 shots as fast as I can pull trigger so long as grip and the rest of it is there.

Smashing Splits on A’s inside of 10 requires little thought at all now compared to before popples it would often become A,C if I pushed the speed much.

All my experience is on Tanfo gums but don’t see how it wouldn’t be similar for any of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of good info on here. I’m looking to get mine done here in the near future. I currently run 8.5 gn hs6 with a PD 115jhp our of a 5” infinity ultimatch barrel  . What bullet weights are you guys running with popples

I was running 124 PDs with CFE until I tried a batch of 115gr with HS-6 after I put in 3 popple holes.  Huge difference with the lighter bullet and more powder.  Dot doesn't leave a 6" piece of steel at 15 yards.  

Lots of good info on here. I’m looking to get mine done here in the near future. I currently run 8.5 gn hs6 with a PD 115jhp our of a 5” infinity ultimatch barrel  . What bullet weights are you guys running with popples

Was using 125gr when I got the holes cut. Now I use 115. I shoot blue coated though. Same load you are using with the PD.