Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 SC Revolver Load Questions

Blue Jacket

Decided to dive into the revolver pool and picked up a good deal on a used 686 cut for moonclips.  I need to find a load for it.  I decided to go with the 38 short colt.  Seems like a lot of people like the easier reload of the short case.  I've ordered some SC brass from Starline, but haven't decided on bullets.  Was thinking of going with Bayou 135gr round nose bullets to approximate the same load that is used in my 9mm production gun.  I'll be using Titegroup powder because that;s what I have on hand.

Finally  from what I've been able to read it looks like I'll need a 9mm seating and crimp die since the 38s dies are too long.  I was going to try my 38 dies first.  Any thoughts, things to be aware of  or recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks

Lee makes a three die 38 short colt set. Then use a 9mm taper crimp die for your 4th die. 

I use the Bayou 135 gn for mine as well. But i would be wary of titegroup since it can pressure spike and burns so hot it’s not ideal for coated bullets. I have found that 38 short colt is pretty sensitive to OAL (meaning i see lots of velocity and pressure variation with OAL changes). So be vigilant about OAL. 

My preferred load with the 135 gn bayou is: 

3.7 gn of American Select

federal primer

OAL is 1.15

Makes 130 pf

(Tested at my elevation of 4500 feet just after it rained and at about 55 degrees, so you should be good make power factor just about anywhere in the country with this load.) 

i have also has good results with VV320 and 38 short colt, but haven’t worked up a competition load for it yet. 

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

2.8-3.0 grs of titegroup, depends on revo, Bbl length/chambers vs bbl etc etc

160 gr Bayou RN

Fed SPP seated firmly but not crushed ( I run my Revo's at about 6-6.5 lbs or I short stroke them)

Starline Brass

COl 1.150

No noticable problems with smoke or hot cyl on 32-36 round stages

Good fortune with your revo