Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Need Some Load Recipes for Sti Edge .40 USPSA Major

DB_Cooper

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another load I've been working on, haven't had a chance to chronograph it yet...

Bullet:  BBI 180 gr. FP
Powder:  VihtaVuori N320 4.4 grs.
Primer:  Winchester Small Pistol
Case:  Remington
LOAL:  1.180
Recoil Spring:  Dawson tool-less guide rod, 14 lb. Recoil Spring and Buffer Pad.

180 grain bayou - 5.7 Power Pistol - 1.18 OAL .

Some don't like power pistol because it is a slow powder & a bit boomy, I didn't notice the boomy & just liked the longer push at lower pressure as a matter of principle. 

42 minutes ago, pbcaster45 said:

Here's another load I've been working on, haven't had a chance to chronograph it yet...

Bullet:  BBI 180 gr. FP
Powder:  VihtaVuori N320 4.4 grs.
Primer:  Winchester Small Pistol
Case:  Remington
LOAL:  1.180
Recoil Spring:  Dawson tool-less guide rod, 14 lb. Recoil Spring and Buffer Pad.

I tested N320 yesterday at 1.180" COAL using 180gr blue bullets and it took 4.9gr to average 171PF.

After testing some new loads over chrono yesterday, I'm going to be using the following going forward:

4.8gr WST

180gr Blue Blullets RNFP

1.180" COAL

Out of 10 rounds, the minimum PF was 169.2, average was 171.3, and SD was 10.43 fps with a 32 fps max spread.

8 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

After testing some new loads over chrono yesterday, I'm going to be using the following going forward:

4.8gr WST

180gr Blue Blullets RNFP

1.180" COAL

Out of 10 rounds, the minimum PF was 169.2, average was 171.3, and SD was 10.43 fps with a 32 fps max spread.

And it'll go 163 when it hits 90*... be verymindful with WST. It's a good powder but very reverse temperature sensitive, at least my batch is.

@TennJeep1618 remember someone that went to Limited Minor at the 2016 Texas Open? I do...

4 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

And it'll go 163 when it hits 90*... be verymindful with WST. It's a good powder but very reverse temperature sensitive, at least my batch is.

@TennJeep1618 remember someone that went to Limited Minor at the 2016 Texas Open? I do...

Haha.  I'll be sure to test it again when it's warmer, but it was in the mid 80's when I chronoed yesterday.  I may go ahead and bump it up to 4.9gr, which got me 174.6PF.

20 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

I tested N320 yesterday at 1.180" COAL using 180gr blue bullets and it took 4.9gr to average 171PF.

Was the N320 clean burning? I always heard VV powders are clean burning.

1 minute ago, DB_Cooper said:

Was the N320 clean burning? I always heard VV powders are clean burning.

It's definitely cleaner burning in my 9mm's.  I switched to it last year because the smoke from Clays was causing occasional issues seeing targets.  I didn't shoot enough of it in 40 yesterday to tell one way or another.

1 hour ago, DB_Cooper said:

I just got a STI Edge .40 and need some load suggestions for USPSA Limited Major, I plan on using Blue Bullets 180gr. https://www.thebluebullets.com/category-s/1901.htm

Thanks in advance!

Here's what I have been using with great success out of my STI DVC .40. I've shot these out of a friends Edge and the results were very similar. Extremely flat shooting for me and the sights come right back on target. 

Bullet:  BBI 180 gr. RNFP
Powder:  Titegroup 4.3 grs.
Primer:  CCI Small Pistol
LOAL:  1.185''
Recoil Spring: 11 lb. recoil spring with ShokBuff

Blue bullet 180 grain

OAL 1.185 per Atlas recommendation

Powder E3. 4.1 grains, 170 PF

Winchester primers

Atlas Titan 5" KKM barrel

Just bought a 8 pound jug of E3 after comparing E3 and N320.  I like N320, but I can load less powder, get same consistency (if not better) and see no recoil difference between N320 and E3.  Less cost and no issue obtaining E3 locally made the decision easy for me.

Blue bullets are great,  if money was no object I'd load Montana Gold 180.  MG yield 1-2" at 25y,  the blue bullets get me 3 -4" groups at 25y.  Plenty good for this game.  

4.8gr of WST at 1.180 OAL is the go to load of many. It shoots soft and is very accurate. As others have said it is temperature sensitive. The hotter it gets outside you'll have to add .1gr or .2gr to make sure you make major pf. But the colder it gets outside you might have to reduce by .1gr or .2gr so it isn't to violent. I made that mistake years ago. Shot a match when it was 25 degrees outside with my normal WST load. My hands hated me that day.

I have been shooting 4.5 gr. of WST at 1.180" with Blue Bullets 180 gr., and it hits about 168-169 PF. Last test was at 75 degrees. My plan is to bump it up to 4.6 gr. to add a little buffer zone and to compensate for the higher temps that are coming.

What is surprising is those of you loading at 4.8 gr.

Here are the chrony summary numbers:

Total number of shots 20

Bullet Type: Blue FN
Bullet Weight: 180
Powder: WST
Weight: 4.5
COAL: 1.18
Primer: CCI 500
Case: Mixed

Stats - Average 941.15
Stats - Highest 953.00
Stats - Lowest 929.00
Stats - Ext. Spread 24.00
Stats - Std. Dev 6.35

Avg Power Factor 168.09

Bullet: .401 180gr Acme 

OAL: 1.165

Powder: 4.6gr N320

Primer: Fiocci SP

PF: 165.5 @ 1000' ASL, 75 degress

I originally put this load together with CCI small primers and it was 169 PF. The chronograph stage at a level 1 match yesterday came back with 165.5 PF which is obviously too close for comfort. 

3 hours ago, DB_Cooper said:

Has anyone tried 231 for .40? I have some 231 laying around and thought about trying it out.

Yes, same load I listed above with 4.8gr of W231

Been running this as my Limited Major load. 

NOTE: this is with my SV 2011 which has a 6 inch barrel. So you may need to adjust the powder up a bit. 

Ramshot Competition at 4 grains

180 grain coated bullets (Eggleston Munitions) 

Mixed Brass 

OAL 1.18 

Winchester Small Pistol Primers. 

I've had good luck with this load. Returns right on target, feels pretty soft shooting. 

Power Factor is averaging 168. I've had a couple that were low at 166. All rounds made Major, just some that were close. 

I've also noticed that in my LnL the Ramshot Competition has been super consistent in the powder drop. I also like that the powder itself is more of a concrete grey so its really easy to see it in the cases. 

8 hours ago, 858 said:

Yes, same load I listed above with 4.8gr of W231

When W231 was the only powder I could find locally besides titegroup this was my go to load for 40 major. A local junior shooter is sponsored by Hodgdon and is doing this same load with HP-38 and 180gr BBI at 1.150. Has made major pf at every major match he's shot.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:19 AM, DB_Cooper said:

I'm definitely going to load some 231 for testing and also going to test E3 if available, if not then I will probably give Longshot a try.

Longshot is some loud powder. We joke around and call it Loudshot. I've messed around with the idea of playing around with some E3 but been pretty happy with WST and N340 for all 40cal reloading.