Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting a PT Evo Grip

niroth81

I have a PT Evo grip on the way for my open gun. I've heard that they are pretty much a straight fit up. How do you check for a good grip to frame fit? What would need to be adjusted and where if it doesn't fit up 100% from the box?

Quite a bit of sanding/ fitting on mine which is a sti frame my advice take it slow because you can't put material back, mine is a snug fit and no play but I don't need a mallet to install. Good luck and go slow

Where is the material that needs to be removed? The grip I have currently needs a bit of upwards pressure on the trigger guard screw to get on there but not excessive. Should all the holes line up perfectly with the PT to be a good fit? Love to see some pictures if anyone has them?

PT told me it is designed to be a slight interference fit, about .001".  You may have to tap it lightly with a mallet to set it fully.  

It fits well with on PT frames (my frame was two years older than the grip, and it fit perfectly).  Other frames have more variance, depending on how many frame suppliers they use.  

Fit is more critical with steel grips.

My (older) STI frame is .008 too wide; my CK frame (2014) was .006 too wide.  I'd use a gunsmith to machine it if it's more than .003 off, to get the sides flat and parallel.  

2 hours ago, teros135 said:

PT told me it is designed to be a slight interference fit, about .001".  You may have to tap it lightly with a mallet to set it fully.  

It fits well with on PT frames (my frame was two years older than the grip, and it fit perfectly).  Other frames have more variance, depending on how many frame suppliers they use.  

Fit is more critical with steel grips.

My (older) STI frame is .008 too wide; my CK frame (2014) was .006 too wide.  I'd use a gunsmith to machine it if it's more than .003 off, to get the sides flat and parallel.  

Assuming you take material off the grip, not the frame?

Then if you make a mistake, you can still put your original grip back on and go shooting.

18 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Assuming you take material off the grip, not the frame?

Then if you make a mistake, you can still put your original grip back on and go shooting.

They're both fairly expensive parts, so it's a choice.  I'd rather shave the frame, so the grip could be used on another gun later.  YMMV.  

Also, if you shave the frame .006, I'm guessing you could easily attach a plastic grip later (for instance to sell the gun) because they flex.  

I was worried about the task of fitting the pt evo as well as the sv infinity model so I went with the ck arms model . Slid right on to my sti frame applied a little loctite to the appropriate screws and has been solid for a couple thousand rounds. No regrets . 

• 3 weeks later...

Fitting my PT Evo grip to my Edge took me 3-4 hours using Dykem, flat files and dial caliper.  I was in no hurry, enjoyed the project and ended with a very nice tight fit.  Only took material off the grip and as others have stated above, have patience, you can't put it back on .  Color the inside surface, test fit, file where it's shiny and repeat and repeat and repeat...…. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a pt evo on my ck hardcore and there was almost no fitting required. It was amazing. Also, it comes with its matching beaver tail and that piece is pretty much a drop in part. Can’t ask for anything better.

Edited by Nalle2491
Misspelled

• 4 months later...

I just received my PT EVO grip last week.  It went onto my STI frame (TG prefix, DLC coated) without any fitting needed, however the fit was so snug, that it was pinching the frame enough to prevent the slide from moving on the frame rails. Will take a touch of fitting to fix.

Andy