Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star Order

HalRex

Good vid. The star I shoot at my local matches has a single plate at the top or top with a slight cant to the right. So, if I shoot the top plate I have an idea of which way the star will rotate. It finish it quickly I try to minimize the movement by keeping the star balanced.

I've found two viable methods. Both require starting at the top which controls the rotation of the star once unbalanced. 

Method one is to start at the top and zig zag down. Done right you'll have very little rotation of the star to deal with. 

Method two is start at the top and work your way around clockwise or counterclockwise. With this method you want the star to rotate opposite the direction you're shooting it and plates should begin coming into your point of aim and all the plates will end up in a nice pile. 

I normally zig zag but yesterday we shot a star where the right plates were hidden behind hard cover barrels. In this case I wanted the star rotating clockwise so all plates could be shot on the left and I wouldn't get stuck trying to shoot an obscured plate on the right. Practice both, use as necessary. 

I always zig zag from top, left center, right center, left bottom, right bottom. I primarily shoot single stack so I do it this way so it has little to no rotstion. If I was a little faster I would try to shoot it clockwise or counterclockwise but can't let the texas star get to spinning to fast or I'm screwed with only 8 rounds in the mag.

The plate rack will lean at rest either to the left or right, from perspective of the top plate. I'll shoot clockwise down from the top plate if it's leaning right, and counter if it's leaning left. No real thinking required, and you transition minimally to each plate, but the last plate is always going a little quick. 

Take off the top one, then top left and top right in either order (at this point the star is pretty much frozen if I did it right), then bottom two in either order.

I'm pretty good at 12 yards and closer, but can have an interesting time at 15 or 18 yards.  I dry fire miniature cardboard star targets pretty regularly.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2018 at 8:00 PM, HalRex said:

How do y’all shoot the star? I go: top, left, right, left right. Cleaned it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

I shoot it from the bottom to the top... it makes it more exiting then cleaning it in .8 seconds ?

3 hours ago, Blurryvisions said:

I shoot it from the bottom to the top... it makes it more exiting then cleaning it in .8 seconds ?

Post a video or it didn’t happen.?

Edited by George16

12 hours ago, Davidp1911 said:

I go counter clockwise starting at 2 o'clock so the plate rise to my sights

Perfect ??.  On a serious note I go top right top left bottom right bottom left and the last ones normally sitting there waiting in the center of the bottom. This of course is one for one quickly. If it doesn’t go this way wellllllll then I just close my eyes and spray haha

On 7/15/2018 at 9:11 AM, George16 said:

Sure, why not. Do it at 20 yards in .8 seconds. ?

That’s worth more then 20$... Haha i shot a20 yard plate rack once. It was painful. And cost everyone in the match like 10$ in extra ammo ???

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, Nalle2491 said:

We had a texas Star at our local match a few months ago that was completely covered by hard targets on the top half... its was excruciating to watch people shoot it..

We had that set up at a match only you had to do it from prone and through a barrel at the end of a long  running field course.  It was from some distance too.  It was discovered that the faster way was to knock off the bottom two that were visible, possibly wait for a third, then quickly rip off the two or three shots to "engage" the remaining steel and just take the mikes.  The people who shot it before and were furiously chasing the steel with round after round as it would spin by were not very happy.

Answer to OP, clockwise from top to bottom.  I used to go head, shoulders, knees and toes, but I've been convinced sticking to one side and letting them come to me is more consistent and can still be done fast.