Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 650 setup itemized

[TL/DR: table at bottom]

I just installed the last two accessories on my Dillon 650 and I think I’m pretty much good to go after 6 months of reloading. 

This forum was very helpful for me as a new reloaded so I thought I’d share this info for people trying to get into it....just saw one such inquiry minutes ago. 

This list is grouped by level of need and then most to least expensive...highly subjective I know. It’s just one man’s opinion! 

If you buy the green items labeled “Base Machine” you can load ammunition if you acquire components (powder, primers and brass). It might be slow going and unsafe but you could make a round of ammunition. 

I would call the blue additions “necessities” either for safety or logistical reasons. 

Yelow are highly recommended “priority upgrades” that we can debate & add to here. 

Orange entires are creature comforts and case prep items to re-use brass and save more money. 

Also for those suffering from sticker shock, the “rounds to cover” is a hypothetical payback assuming you can save about $.115 per round. I load 40, so YMMV. Tell your wife you will reload an obscure cartridge and save 70% per round. 

F7C35214-D51D-4AA8-8A7F-4E900D48AC50.thumb.jpeg.299f81ff7ff1b3aa7e6020d5c45a7019.jpeg

C1F7FE0E-2DFD-4CAE-9A24-E386922F0ECB.jpeg.c03d93c538f143758181ccb2bc7b8df0.jpeg

Edited by Paulie

I would consider the Dillon spare parts kits as a necessity. Sure every time I broke something Dillon sent me a replacement, but it takes a week to get here. Instead I reach into the spare parts kit and fix the issue now, and put the part that Dillon sends me in the kit. In fact I did just that today replacing the spring that pops back the primer lever, called up Dillon and they have a replacement on the way.

43 minutes ago, PPGMD said:

I would consider the Dillon spare parts kits as a necessity. Sure every time I broke something Dillon sent me a replacement, but it takes a week to get here. Instead I reach into the spare parts kit and fix the issue now, and put the part that Dillon sends me in the kit. In fact I did just that today replacing the spring that pops back the primer lever, called up Dillon and they have a replacement on the way.

Fair point. When I called Dillon for initial order they recommended it for sure (so I could keep running). What are most likely parts to break? 

I maintained for decades that I didn't reload to save money, but to shoot more for the amount of money I spent, and to custom tailor loads for my guns.  More recently, it was to have ammo when I wanted it, but that's eased a bit. 

I amortized the cost of the equipment in the first year of owning the press (specifically talking about the XL650). I judge reloading cost based on cost per round and factor in the cost of my time. I may shoot more and my overall expense may be flat with factory ammo but my cost per round is much lower.

Edited by 858

1 hour ago, 858 said:

I amortized the cost of the equipment in the first year of owning the press (specifically talking about the XL650). I judge reloading cost based on cost per round and factor in the cost of my time. I may shoot more and my overall expense may be flat with factory ammo but my cost per round is much lower.

It’s definitely worth it in the long run but I knew the payback would be a while given my low(ish) volume. 

I happen to like reloading. Would probably do it just to tinker and have reliable food for my limited gun. 

Edited by Paulie

• 1 month later...

Just got extra primer pick up tubes, which I’d call a priority upgrade. 

Having them loaded, which can be done anywhere anytime, really helps you crank out production when you are at the bench. 

Interrupting rhythmic cranking for 5 minutes to pick 100 of those suckers up is a pain! 

If you're tired of hunting/pecking primers try out a VibraPrime unit Paulie.  It costs~$35-40 and loads a box of primers (100) in about 10 seconds. 

About every second/third stop to add primers I add bullets to my bullet tray and check the level of my powder & cases (I have a case feeder) along with quick double-check that dies have not loosened.

2 hours ago, muncie21 said:

If you're tired of hunting/pecking primers try out a VibraPrime unit Paulie.  It costs~$35-40 and loads a box of primers (100) in about 10 seconds. 

About every second/third stop to add primers I add bullets to my bullet tray and check the level of my powder & cases (I have a case feeder) along with quick double-check that dies have not loosened.

Looked at Vibraprimes but they had pretty bad reviews on Amazon so I passed. 

You have one that works pretty well?

Just now, Paulie said:

Nope....

I have two :D  Just in case the first one dies and FA decides to stop making them.

I had problems with my first unit, mostly with Winchester primers (CCI and S&B worked OK) that required me to remove/smooth some of the plastic 'flash' from the primer tray.  This got the gizmo working about 85-90% of the time. 

I was happy with those results, so I ordered a few spare primer trays and tubes from Frankford Armory (FA). When these arrived, for grins, I decided to try out one of the new trays and found that it worked 95-99% out of the box; been using that tray since.

Once the primers are orientated in the tray (takes 5-10 seconds) it takes another 10 seconds or so to fill the primer tube.

• 2 months later...

Moving spare parts kit to “priority upgrade” bucket due to personal experience.

My necessity bucket is comprised of safety related items but after that, grab the spare parts kit for sure!

Hat tip to PPGMD. FPNI as usual...

ED751B8B-D931-4F36-9029-208F32242336.jpeg

I know some love the hundo gauge or the other similar alternatives.

I find them overly restrictive. Yes I do believe that rounds that pass the hundo gauge will probably chamber 100% of the time in my gun.

But so will rounds that I check in my actual chamber.

Once I get my process dialed in for a given load I can almost guarantee that my rounds will chamber.

For practice rounds that is good enough for me. 

For match ammo: Since I am already cleaning my gun prior to the match it is no problem to grab my nice clean barrel and plunk the 250/500 rounds I need for the match.

Now I know they fit in my barrel and I don't give a hoot if they fit in the hundo or not. And some of them won't.

So I would suggest you save the $110 and buy yourself some other goodie. ?

11 hours ago, ddc said:

I find them overly restrictive. Yes I do believe that rounds that pass the hundo gauge will probably chamber 100% of the time in my gun.

Once I get my process dialed in for a given load I can almost guarantee that my rounds will chamber.

For match ammo: Since I am already cleaning my gun prior to the match it is no problem to grab my nice clean barrel and plunk the 250/500 rounds I need for the match.

Now I know they fit in my barrel and I don't give a hoot if they fit in the hundo or not. And some of them won't.

The benefit of the hundo gauge is time. I can take handfuls of ammo and sort of angle it in...probably saves me 10-15 minutes per session vs a single or using the chamber. 

I devote a ton of time to this sport so almost any time saver is “worth it” to me. YMMV! 

Edited by Paulie

On 5/10/2018 at 10:34 PM, PPGMD said:

Having the spare parts on hand is a definite time saver as parts tend to break when you're either working a batch for a big match or its the week-end and you'd be waiting for the replacement to arrive.  Worth the $$ and preventive aggravation!

On 6/27/2018 at 9:10 PM, Paulie said:

Looked at Vibraprimes but they had pretty bad reviews on Amazon so I passed. 

The most current reviews on Amazon are rather poor. I'm still using the Dillon brass primer flip tray that I bought 20 years ago. Just get some spare primer tubes and load them all up before you start loading.

11 hours ago, ddc said:

Just curious, do you own a Hundo??

I hated to spend that on one, but man it saves time! At 10K Rds this year alone, it really speed things up.

Frankford Arsenal Vibra Prime. After I deburred mine and learned it's quirks, I love it!

Edited by Broncman

3 hours ago, Broncman said:

Just curious, do you own a Hundo??

I hated to spend that on one, but man it saves time! At 10K Rds this year alone, it really speed things up.

I own the Armanov equivalent.

I only chamber check major match ammo and even that check seems redundant.

What is not redundant is checking every cartridge for good primer insertion, orientation, etc. I do that when I box them up.

Vibra Prime: Yeah, I have one and once I tuned it up it works fine. I'd buy it again. However someone who expects everything to "just work" is likely to be disappointed.

Edited by ddc
added comment re: Vibra Prime

With Factory ammunition available and prices way down my reasons for hand loading handgun seem ignorant.    Hand loading gives me a control over cost and availability into the future.   We all feel our hand loads would only be replaced by premium handgun ammunitions.  So this screws the savings. 

Your $1800 investment could be sold by the next sunrise for $1200.   So when you balance the books after 16,000 rounds there is a $600 one time profit.   So if you shoot (100) rounds per month it will take you about 3 years.  If you decide it was not enjoyable you take your $600 and walk away.