Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who can recaliber my SVI Infinity other than SV?

sandflea316

I want to have my 2011 re-caliber to .40.  SVI quoted me a time frame of 12-15 months.

Is there any recommended pistol smith that can do it in a shorter time?

edit to add that i want to go from 9mm to .40

Also it is indeed a full factory gun.

Edited by sandflea316
Add more info

You can buy the parts from them and have a local smith do it, but will likley void any warranty you have. I assume you're trying to go from 9mm to .40 based on your info above so I'd say you need a breachface, extractor, ejector, barrel, and maybe bushing depending on your gun. If it's a factory SV, that already runs perfect, ask yourself if it's worth it to void the warranty or have anyone other than Brandon (perfectionist, almost annoyingly so, but perfectionist) fit that gear to your gun.

Just now, tanks said:

That's the same timeframe as ordering a complete gun. I'd just order a new one in .40 and sell the other one once that arrives.

Yep..shocked the hell out of me when they told me that.  I figured it would of been a quarter of it or at most half of the waiting period as a full gun build.

Didn't want to go full new gun due to price really.  Have a couple of .40 builds already in the gun builder system and it ain't cheap lol

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa.

First, SV does not  have 2011 on the frame.  So if it is a 2011 and not a SV slide with interchangeable breechface you are talking a brand new top end. So it would go in the queue as their new builds hence the delivery time.

Second, if it is a SV slide you can order the breachface from them, you need a barrel, ejector and extractor.  The new barrel needs to be fitted. It might be easy to use the same brand of barrels.

Third, Don Golembieski at Kodiak Precision builds SV guns and he can do the work. I know because, three of my SV top ends I can covert to 9 or 40 in about an hour---I am rather inept, hence the slowness on my part. 

Fourth, Eddie Garcia in PHoenix can do the same or Eddie Cameron.  I have heard good things about Glenn Jones.  Be advised, SV tends to limit the number of gunsmith who get their frames.

Fifth, if you need a new top end those three can do the work as well as Matt McLearn.  Brazos can do the same.  The key is an oversize slide that can be fitted to your existing frame not the other way around.

Sixth, IMHO the SV cut is not a C/P or W/N per see, it is more along the lines of Clark/Para/Lissner Ramp, re Schuemann/SV barrels.

Finally, IMHO with SV there maybe some nuances that very good gunsmith might not be aware of...whereas an STI might not be any issues.