Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Picture/Alignment

Doublehelix

I have a couple of questions regarding sight picture and alignment I would like to ask the collective knowledge around here. I am mostly referring to USPSA/SCSA/IDPA shooting with iron sights. I am currently shooting Limited Major if it makes a difference to the discussions. Obviously, Question #1 does not apply to optics shooters for the most part.

1) Which sight picture do you use and why? I have always used "combat sight alignment" (also called "sight image 3") where the dot of the fiber optic covers the intended POI. I have been talking to several USPSA shooters lately that use a "6 o'clock sight alignment" (also called "sight image 2") claiming that it is faster for them.

All of my guns are setup for a combat sight alignment, and honestly I am not sure I want to change it now. I think you can be good at anything you are used to and have practiced, but since I keep hearing about the 6 o'clock hold, I thought I would at least see how popular it is and why folks use what they use.

2) At what distance do you sight in your pistol? I have always used 25 yards, but I am thinking that I need to shorten that distance. What distance seems most useful for the normal USPSA shooter? We have targets that vary from 7 yard wide open targets to 30 yard mini poppers.

As an add-on to question #2, if you sight your pistol at a shooter distance (say 10 or 15 yards), do you change your POA for long target shots to compensate for bullet drop?

3) How much bacon do you eat before a  match? ?? Hehe...

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Edited by Doublehelix

I like sight picture 3 as it ensures I will be more likely to stay in the A Zone from 7 to 15 yards. Sight picture 1 sometimes seems to be low.

I sight in at 10 yards as I have looked at my ballistic tables for my ammo.

I usually eat a chicken sandwich before a match. Maybe I SHOULD eat a bacon whopper for more freedom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I use sight picture 2. It is a lot easier to line up the top of the fiber and the top of the rear notch for tight shots. The guns are sighted in at 20 yards. 3 egg omelet with parmesan cheese for breakfast when shooting at home.

The round impacting at the top of the front sight is the way to go for USPSA.

The first time you need to shoot a 20yd head box or 40yd minipopper with the front post entirely covering your target, you will see why.

That also is not a 6 o’clock hold, for the record. That’s done by bullseye shooters for a known target at a known distance. The round hits substantially above the entire sight picture in a 6 o’clock hold:

6oclockHold.jpg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I always learned with a 6 o’clock hold.  So whenever a pick up a pistol that requires a combat hold, It takes me a magazine to dial it in.

i always much prefer sight image 2

I sight in my guns to shoot abought 1 inch high at 15 yds.  I won’t use a sight that’s prints low at all.  Most shooters at speed tend to push the gun down a little.  Most no shoots are placed below a scoring area so that if you push the shot low your into a no shoot.  A lot of no shoots are placed so the head box is showing, at least if you miss you don’t get the no shoot too.  On plates you can hold a little low and see more of the plate above the front sight.  Look at where most of the tape is on the targets, at speed most shooters tend to hit low.

Just to make sure we all are on the same page:

Vo6aTcQ.jpg

I call sight image 3 "combat hold", and I guess I have been referring to sight image 2 as "6 o'clock hold", but I think I am wrong there and sight image 1 is probably really called the "6 o'clock hold".

I have been using SI 1 for so long now, but I am very interested to try SI 2. I think it could make a difference on those long 35 yard shots when even a .100" front FO blade covers the target.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm  debating  for  a  change  in my  sights adjustment right now.

i'm  currently using  the POA-POI style   ,but  since  i tend  to  want to  see  my  shots  while  shooting  i  wonder  if  i  shouldn't  adopt  the    memphismecanic  way  of  doin it  :  the  round  hitting  right on top  of  the  front sight.

half a  pound  of  bacon gets  me  all the  zen i  need  to  feel  good haha!!.....and  i'm extra thin lol

Edited by sigsauerfan

On 5/11/2018 at 9:49 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

The round impacting at the top of the front sight is the way to go for USPSA.

The first time you need to shoot a 20yd head box or 40yd minipopper with the front post entirely covering your target, you will see why.

That also is not a 6 o’clock hold, for the record. That’s done by bullseye shooters for a known target at a known distance. The round hits substantially above the entire sight picture in a 6 o’clock hold:

6oclockHold.jpg

+1 on this. POI right at the top of the front sight (F/O) front blade level with top of the rear notch. I zero at 15 yeards.

Edited by Eureka1911

• 1 month later...