Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best modification for a stock Tanfoglio Witness?

slowjam

Have a standard 9mm Tanfoglio Witness made back in 2000 with maybe 500-600 rounds through it.

What are the suggested modifications that would enhance this gun's potential for the USPSA shooting?

I know this gun can't be as good as the new production Stock (I,II, III) or the Match; so what I'm looking for are some upgrades that would get the most out of this platform with some aftermarket/OEM parts that do not require gunsmithing.

I plan on shooting factory ammo, therefore any firing pin modifications should be compatible with the WWB, Speer, or Remington green box in 115 gr.

Thanks for any ideas!

IMG_5422.JPG

Edited by slowjam

The biggest problem with your gun (I have the same one as yours made in 1999 but with Wonderfinish) are the sights, especially with that integral steel front sight.  I wish I had the skill to somehow drill/machine mine to accept a fiber optic rod.  I've shot mine in a couple IDPA and 2 gun matches but the pistol certainly isn't ideal for USPSA if you're the type that wants every competitive edge.  But it certainly can be used to decent effect and allow you to have fun!

About all that's left to do is improve the trigger.  Maybe some polishing, a lighter hammer spring, XL firing pin, and a lighter recoil spring?

Thanks for your suggestions!  

I have some NOS target/adjustable sights that should work with the 9mm dovetail that's on this gun.  

This gun fits my hand so well and it is a pure pleasure to shoot.  I just want to get it to the next "practical" level performance wise without breaking the bank.  In case my USPSA skills outperform this gun, then I will look into something more advanced.  

For now, my intent is to eliminate as many "production level" gun shortfalls and perform all the upgrades myself; if possible.

Any thought to trying Carry Optics?  Last year I was looking for a project. Found a TZ75 pre-88 super cheap. Installed spare parts I had on hand. Extreme delta hammer, extreme disco, small frame extreme firing pin, and long sear. This combo provided the best trigger pull out of all the spare parts I had.  Polished it all up, put in all new springs to include a 13# CZ hammer spring and VZ grips for a CZ 75. Then when looking for sight options, which were slim pickings, I just decided to go a different route and had the slide milled for a red dot. Problem solved. 

I've milled a dovetail in several tanfo's

So a Dawson frt sight can then be installed.

Polish all the trigger parts, 14 lbs main spring along with the other reduced trigger springs and go make holes in the Azone

Depending on your budget....

In order of importance.

1) fully disassemble, clean and polish. Follow the 4 part video series made by @MemphisMechanic

2)  change the trigger, sear and firing pin return spring to the Optimized ones from Patriot Defense. Check and fit the firing pin block (instructions in video)

3) change the hammer spring to either a 14 or 15.5 pound one.  Buy both, make sure they pop everything. They should, but each gun (and polish / fit of parts) is unique.

4) Swap in the Patriot Defense heavier longer firing pin.

5) change the expensive parts last Titan or Unica Hammer, bolo disconnector, one piece sear. The HAMMER change will always require fitting the sear to safety. The 1 piece sear may be in your gun already.  you also may need the extended firing pin block.

^^ i did forget to include the super sexy light cone fit guide rod.

And the longer heavier firing pin is good "insurance". Probably not needed with factory 115 ammo, but i feel better knowing it will fire everything.

5 hours ago, johnbu said:

And the longer heavier firing pin is good "insurance". Probably not needed with factory 115 ammo, but i feel better knowing it will fire everything.

Tanfos have eaten questionably-seated CCI Magnums long before an extended firing pin came out. With reduced power springs and 6.5 pound triggers :) 

while i won't disagree with anyone in particular; I dug out my login to suggest : DO NOTHING

and not exactly nothing, but as others have suggested the front sight is the first big item to consider, my first Witness was the same way and I simply brightened and tightened up the front white dot and started shooting it. you should determine if its SMALL or LARGE frame for magazine compatibility mostly and invest wisely on magazines. most all new Witness are LARGE frame and do not offer CZ/Beretta small frame compatibility. Being older and 9mm i am willing to guess that is small frame, so swapping a new LARGE FRAME slide onto that frame isn't an option. if anything try out a few sets of grips to see what you like and change them, but factory witness like that is GOOD TO GO LIKE THAT.

wait until you break a firing pin to replace it... i would save your moneies for the next Witness, as I have learned from experience you will want more.

I bought my small frame late 1999 early 2000. Modifications I've made are;

PD sear, firing pin and trigger return springs

It takes the short hammer springs, so 13 lb Wolff with clipped coils

Full polish

Bought a replacement trigger from EAA with over travel stop

Front sight machined for fiber optic (thanks to jcc7x7)

Extended mag release

Extended safety

Modified a CZ dovetail dot mount for Carry Optics

The original barrel required an oversized bullet. I had to make special bullets for it .358". I recently bought a new barrel this year for it. It is a hammer forged like the Stock ll barrel.

This gun shoots great and I think it points better than my large frame pistols. The mags are small though.

FS.jpg

test21.jpg

So I spent a better part of the Mother's Day morning fitting these Italian made sights (for the 'Old" CZ75 Brno 9mm dovetail base).  They required some gentle sanding/filing and "going" back and forth, probably 10X.  Then I used some cold Gun Blue to finish up the project.  (also touched up the gun-sight vise marks)

Have to go to the range this week to fine-tune the setup as is; before the Thursday night shoot.  Will report back with the results/impressions and see what the next step is going to be.

IMG_3967.JPG

Edited by slowjam