Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blazer Brass .45ACP uses small primers

NMBOpen

Couldn't get a narrow enough search to see if this is old news. I hadn't  reloaded any .45ACP in over a year, but needed some today. During my RL550 size and decap process there were problems with Blazer Brass cases. Closer inspection revealed they used small primers. Fortunately this precedes my loading run, so I wasn't trying to force a large pistol primer into a small primer opening. They went into the scrap metal bin.

Blazer and Federal both do small primer 45acp brass. I always sorted it out and used it for USPSA major matches that didn't allow you to pick up brass unless you were a staff member. Give the staff members the fun time of sorting through the devils brass. I don't know whats worse 45acp small primer brass or 9mm stepped brass.

9mm stepped brass because it's flawed.  .45ACP Small Primer brass is just as good as it's large primer same brand brass cousins.

Actually, I like it much better as I only load 9mm, .45 and .223/5.56 and only have to stock one size primer for all.  I've chronoed both with same bullet, primer, powder and brand of case and the velocity comes out almost identical.  I use SRMP for all with no problems. 

On 5/16/2018 at 6:47 PM, Steve RA said:

9mm stepped brass because it's flawed.  .45ACP Small Primer brass is just as good as it's large primer same brand brass cousins.

Actually, I like it much better as I only load 9mm, .45 and .223/5.56 and only have to stock one size primer for all.  I've chronoed both with same bullet, primer, powder and brand of case and the velocity comes out almost identical.  I use SRMP for all with no problems. 

I had the same results on 230gr bullets.  200gr left much more case volume and i had significant velocity loss with small primer in that instance.  I also noted that since there are only 3 major SPP brands i ever find, that my SPP is much more consistent with mixed brass than my LPP is.  Some of the LPP brass i pick up could easily be decades old.