Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RMR OR RDS

Ghorsley

4 hours ago, Ghorsley said:

My reflexes and eyesight are not close to what they used to be. Will these red dot things help?

How much do I need to spend for decent quality? 

Thanks for the help

Yes, red dots will help you tremendously. You’ll spend from as low as $200 to as much as $600 depending on the brand of red dot sight you want. Burris Fast fire and vortex venom or viper can be had as low as $200 when they go on sale. 

You might want a bigger dot too like a 6.5 moa so you can see and track the dot quicker compared to a smaller dot like a 2.5 or 3moa.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Delta Point Pro and am planning on going that route myself. The reliability exceeds that of the RMR and you can pick them up for around 350 or less. Plus being able to  change the battery without having to remove the optic is an added bonus. 

• 5 weeks later...

I highly recommend the Sig Sauer Romeo 1 as a great red dot that straddles the price between the Vortex and RMR/DPP. Really great sight, have one on my 320RX and my Shadow 2.

A RDS will definitely help if you have eye issues. I have 6MOA, 4MOA, 3MOA, and 2MOA dots. 6MOA is on a pistol and not too big for for shooting 6-8" targets at < 25yds. The others are on rifles for out to 50yds. I have no problem seeing the smaller dots.  Eyes on target, dot shows up as planned, bang. It's really easy to see even a small dot when it arrives on the target. And you can always crank up the intensity to make it more obvious.

Vortex Venom is a real nice RDS for about $230.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, Wrecks said:

I highly recommend the Sig Sauer Romeo 1 as a great red dot that straddles the price between the Vortex and RMR/DPP. Really great sight, have one on my 320RX and my Shadow 2.

+1. They now make a 6 moa dot, and also offer a pictinny rail mount. I have one and love it. Simple controls, bright dot, and a wide window. I also wouldn't sneer at the RMR. I have two: one on a CORE (6,000+ rounds, no issues) and one on a PCC. They have worked well.

They make a huge difference!  I preferred to get the slide milled so the red dot sits lower.  If it's for an EDC/"go to war" firearm, you cannot beat the Trijicon RM06 or RM07 models, in my opinion.  For shooting sports, I like the Sig ROMEO1 or ROMEO3, depending on which shape you prefer.  I prefer 3.25MOA since you can make it look "larger" if you use max brightness, whereas you can't make a 6MOA look any smaller for distance shooting.  However for speed, it's hard to argue with a 6MOA dot.  

A few optic handguns I own/owned:

31237458_588541564851978_681385569830096

21909636_1929927930663605_51296573520431

16123968_356299854742180_597527279556991

Edited by Wisemenofgotham

I like the Burris FastFire III with the 8 MOA dot.  Have had one slide mounted on a .45 for about 4 years now with no problems.  I'm sure I shoot a lot less than a number of people on here but have had no problems with the dot sight.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 3:20 PM, Ghorsley said:

My reflexes and eyesight are not close to what they used to be. Will these red dot things help?

How much do I need to spend for decent quality? 

Thanks for the help

Sorry for what may be a stupid question but I have seen this question asked quite a few times and have always wondered how/why the red dot would help with less than ideal eyesight.  I haven't been shooting seriously for the last 15-20 years since college and my eyes are definitely not what they used to be but I guess I don't remember my sight picture with good eyesight?

Do you focus on the target with the red dot/RMR and not the dot itself?  Does it matter if you are a one eye or two eyes open shooter? 

5 hours ago, Seif26 said:

Sorry for what may be a stupid question but I have seen this question asked quite a few times and have always wondered how/why the red dot would help with less than ideal eyesight.  I haven't been shooting seriously for the last 15-20 years since college and my eyes are definitely not what they used to be but I guess I don't remember my sight picture with good eyesight?

Do you focus on the target with the red dot/RMR and not the dot itself?  Does it matter if you are a one eye or two eyes open shooter?  

There are many reasons why your vision might not be ideal. One common reason is that as you age you lose the ability to focus at different focal planes and you cannot see well at all distances. You end up with glasses, frequently bifocals. When you shoot irons you have to find the target at one distance, the front sight at another, and the rear at another. Typically you aren't able to see all clearly even when you focus on one at a time. (It's actually impossible to focus on all three at once.) So either the target or the front sight is "fuzzy", even with glasses. That does not make for accurate shooting. With a RDS, the dot and target are in the same focal plane. Much easier on the eyes. When shooting RDS, your attention is on the target and with both eyes open.

Astigmatism is another common problem. It is caused by the lens in your eye being irregular. The result is that the light beam from an object is not focused at the same point by both eyes. That equals fuzzy.

I have double vision or what is known technically as diplopia. I have had it my whole life and so do not really know any different. My two eyes do not focus at the same point and so I see two objects. One of the images is inaccurate and does not accurately localize the object. i.e. If I point at an object with my left eye it is in a different location than if I do with my right. Turns out only the left one is accurate and I have learned to pay attention to that image, usually ignoring the other. I can fuse them with effort but it is never perfect. Obviously I'm left eye dominant!  Whenever I see my eye doctor he calls in all the med students, "Hey, you may not ever see this again." I oughta charge tuition.

There are other reasons for less-than-ideal vision but this post is already getting too long.

Edited by lgh

36 minutes ago, lgh said:

There are many reasons why your vision might not be ideal. One common reason is that as you age you lose the ability to focus at different focal planes and you cannot see well at all distances. You end up with glasses, frequently bifocals. When you shoot irons you have to find the target at one distance, the front sight at another, and the rear at another. Typically you aren't able to see all clearly even when you focus on one at a time. (It's actually impossible to focus on all three at once.) So either the target or the front sight is "fuzzy", even with glasses. That does not make for accurate shooting. With a RDS, the dot and target are in the same focal plane. Much easier on the eyes. When shooting RDS, your attention is on the target and with both eyes open.

Astigmatism is another common problem. It is caused by the lens in your eye being irregular. The result is that the light beam from an object is not focused at the same point by both eyes. That equals fuzzy.

^^^ That

The short answer is that a dot keeps your focus on the target alone, so aiming is radically simpler.  Radically simpler = radically faster.

I also think it’s much more accurate though some might counter argue that a larger dot is easier to see but it covers more of the target which has the effect of decreasing accuracy; it certainly aids in target identification.