Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 Slide Stop working out while shooting

JP221

I had the slide stop work itself out far enough to lock the gun up last night 2 times while shooting groups.  I'm left handed, and it's possible I was putting pressure into the end of the slide stop with my right thumb while shooting.  It's never happened before, but I'm traveling to a section match this weekend, and I don't want to have any issues.

I took out the slide stop, and it looks fine, I don't see any cracks and it doesn't look bent.  It's also just as hard to remove as normal, I use the end of my bench to get the slide stop started after I line up the marks on the slide.

I think I've decided to grind off the end of the slide stop until it's flush with the right side of the frame.  Does anyone have experience with this issue, and will cutting it down cause any gun issues? 

Thanks for any thoughts,

Joel

3 hours ago, johnbu said:

Off hand, i don't see any function issues with grinding the end down flush with the frame. 

It does sound like you may be pushing it out.

I don't think that modification would be allowed on a production gun

29 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

I don't think that modification would be allowed on a production gun

I thought it was legal after the production rules were updated?  I will check for clarification.

1 hour ago, JP221 said:

I thought it was legal after the production rules were updated?  I will check for clarification.

Pins.?

A better solution would be to not push on it, but making the slide stop pin 0.050" shorter...