Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for footwear

TexasG

I've been checking out the post on footwear and it seems that most recommendations do not  come in size 15. I currently wear Keens and am looking for other options. Any suggestions?

It's nice to see that I'm not the only size 15 shoe person here.  It's tough for us since the selection is much smaller than everyone.  Inov-8 's have size 15 and there Talon's have gotten very popular in USPSA since they don't wear out fast and have good grip.  Salomon's Speedcross 4's are probably the most popular shoe and they don't come in size 15 but I found the 14 Wide fits me perfect.

The other option is cleats and you can find most football cleats in size 15.  Most go with the cheaper rubber bottom options so they don't slip on hard surfaces.

I like the Salomon's for comfort and they do have really good grip so they're the best of both worlds.  They're the most comfortable shoe I own but people complain they wear out too fast but I haven't found that to be the case with me yet.  Besides cleats Inov-8 Talon's probably have the most grip.  It's up to you what you're looking for.

A cleat with the softest rubber “spikes” molded into the sole that you can find is a superb choice for what we do.

Bite much better into gravel and soil than trail shoes like the Salamander shoes do, and as long as you avoid hard plastic or metal spikes you won’t go ice skating on wet wood floors or fault lines.

Everyone has been raving about the Boombah trail shoes on Facebook. Most people have been buying from their clearance section since they only cost $40.  Not sure if the make a size 15 but you might check out the website or give them a call to see if they do.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, CaliYeti said:

It's nice to see that I'm not the only size 15 shoe person here.  It's tough for us since the selection is much smaller than everyone.  Inov-8 's have size 15 and there Talon's have gotten very popular in USPSA since they don't wear out fast and have good grip.  Salomon's Speedcross 4's are probably the most popular shoe and they don't come in size 15 but I found the 14 Wide fits me perfect.

The other option is cleats and you can find most football cleats in size 15.  Most go with the cheaper rubber bottom options so they don't slip on hard surfaces.

I like the Salomon's for comfort and they do have really good grip so they're the best of both worlds.  They're the most comfortable shoe I own but people complain they wear out too fast but I haven't found that to be the case with me yet.  Besides cleats Inov-8 Talon's probably have the most grip.  It's up to you what you're looking for.

The Inov-8 are great. Thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 10:31 AM, bjones6686 said:

Everyone has been raving about the Boombah trail shoes on Facebook. Most people have been buying from their clearance section since they only cost $40.  Not sure if the make a size 15 but you might check out the website or give them a call to see if they do.

I have a pair for three weeks now. Here’s my review.

1. Listened to all of the Amazon reviews and ordered half a size large. Size 11.5s did indeed fit my 11 feet perfectly.

2. The rubber sole is hard. Running on pavement after it rains is an ice-skating proposition, and I cannot over-exaggerate that point. Wet wood fault lines, balance beam props, or pressure-plate activators would be seriously dicey in these. You’re GOING to fall somewhere in a match featuring pavement and wood on a rainy day.

(I believe @CHA-LEE had a similar experience.)

I bought them to possibly be used in USPSA after an upcoming Tough Mudder obstacle course race. I will be sticking with my Adias trail shoes or Under Armour rubber-soled cleats for USPSA. If the match is 100% dry and only includes gravel and grass/dirt... I would possibly be willing to wear Boombahs. 

Oh, also the Boombah tread is crazy agressive and deep. In wet dirt/grass they’re 90% of a cleat. They are far more agressive than Salamanders or Inov8’s.

Edited by MemphisMechanic