Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue bullets in 38sc

LukeWL

I’m relatively new to open guns/comped guns. I have a load I like and shoots well (125 jhp Everglades, starline brass, 10.1gr 3n38, Cci srp) but wanted to make it a bit cheaper since I’m shooting 5-600 rounds a week lately. I’m looking at the 125 gr rn from blue bullets. I know it will require a little less powder and I’ll have to seat a little deeper to get the same oal. But I’ve read mixed reports on shooting a coated bullet in a comp’ed gun and not sure how the 3n38 will do with it? I have a bunch and don’t want to switch yet. 

I personally didn't get near the level of accuracy with coated bullets than I did with JHP's out of my open guns.  I've heard not to use coated bullets if you have popple holes in your guns, but I'm not sure if there is any actual evidence to back that up.

11 minutes ago, LukeWL said:

I’m relatively new to open guns/comped guns. I have a load I like and shoots well (125 jhp Everglades, starline brass, 10.1gr 3n38, Cci srp) but wanted to make it a bit cheaper since I’m shooting 5-600 rounds a week lately. I’m looking at the 125 gr rn from blue bullets. I know it will require a little less powder and I’ll have to seat a little deeper to get the same oal. But I’ve read mixed reports on shooting a coated bullet in a comp’ed gun and not sure how the 3n38 will do with it? I have a bunch and don’t want to switch yet. 

Why not just buy cheaper jacketed bullets?   

• Everglades .38 Super 125gr JHP (.356)  = $130/1000 
    Or...
  • Precision Delta .38 Super 124gr RN $89/1000 (when you buy 2,000 or more)
  • Zero Bullets .38 Super 121gr JHP (.356) = $100/1000 (when you buy 2,000 or more)
  • Zero Bullets .38 Super 125gr JHP (.356) = $109/1000 (when you buy 2,000 or more)

You really can't go wrong with those Precision Deltas for $89/1000.  ;) 

I used them back when i shot open and was happy. I've also talked to a few people like Tennjeep who were not happy with accuracy. Every gun is different. Some of those guys still use them for practice to save a little coin.

125gr blues are $67.50 / 1,000 shipped when you buy a case. There are lots of codes you can use to save 5% off of that number ($63.89 / 1,000 shipped). My code is Ennis, you can only use it on one order. I'd say try a 250 round sample box and see how they work for you. If you want to save on future orders let me know I can point you in a direction.

I’ve been shooting blue bullets in my open gun for a few years and have been happy with them

one thing to try is to keep you powder charge the same and use the 115 blue bullets, thru my gun they both pf about the same

Are the precision deltas .355? I can’t find the .356. I guess the best thing is to just try them as it’s a 50/50 love hate from most people. 

Rishii have ave you don’t anything special about cleaning your comp? Do you have popples?

You have to select 38 Super to get to the .356 bullet.

Precision Delta 38 Super .356

It no longer lists the discount for buying 2,000 or more, but if you add to cart, the discount is still there.

If you want JHP, Zero is your option at 10 cents per bullet.  Those 121gr bullets are more or less made for comped Open guns.

IDescribe. I was looking for jhp on the site that’s why I couldn’t find. Thanks. 

From what ive read coated and plated are about the same in terms of leading and not stabilizing at major power is that true? 

14 hours ago, LukeWL said:

Are the precision deltas .355? I can’t find the .356. I guess the best thing is to just try them as it’s a 50/50 love hate from most people. 

Rishii have ave you don’t anything special about cleaning your comp? Do you have popples?

I’ve been shooting 38 supers since 94, and I’ve shot hardcast lead (back in the day, almost everybody did), moly, plated, FMJ, JHP and now coated thru my supers

without a doubt a good JHP is the best, followed by FMJ and coated, the amount of gunk in the comp after shooting blue bullets is about the same as FMJ, and I use a steel scraper to scrape the crud out

and yes my gun has 2 holes

On 5/8/2018 at 10:35 PM, LukeWL said:

The PD 124gn JHPs are .355.
PD sells a 124gn FMJ 38 Super bullet that is .356, and was designed for Revo shooters. 

Coated bullets and Jacketed bullets are not apples to apples when It comes to diameter.  I'd bet the .355 JHPs shoot great in your gun. 

7 minutes ago, Stymie12000 said:

I run 115 blue out of infinity barrel with 2 holes. 9mm major. I get zero leading and really good accuracy with hs6! Running 169pf

What about optic lens smoke?   I fired 5 rounds of 9mm major using a 115gr Blue out of my Glock open gun and it smoked the lens up badly. 

Just now, chevrofreak said:

What about optic lens smoke?   I fired 5 rounds of 9mm major using a 115gr Blue out of my Glock open gun and it smoked the lens up badly. 

I do get some lens smoke on my frame mounted deltapoint.  On my slide mounted deltapoint I don't get any smoke. I do the rain x trick and wipe down after each stage. Pretty much solves the smoke issue. 

Btw I have used bayou bullets and did get very mild leading in barrel and more leading in comp.  The blues are virtually no leading in comp and barrel. May have something to do with my barrel brand and bullet diameter. (Blue .355 and bayou .3565-.357)

2 hours ago, Stymie12000 said:

I run 115 blue out of infinity barrel with 2 holes. 9mm major. I get zero leading and really good accuracy with hs6! Running 169pf

I was hoping you would chime in on this. I know you've shot a lot of blue bullets out of your open guns with zero issues of leading the comp and an extremely accurate load. I also know people who shoot 125gr Black Bullets in 9major that have no leading issues. 

9 hours ago, bjones6686 said:

I was hoping you would chime in on this. I know you've shot a lot of blue bullets out of your open guns with zero issues of leading the comp and an extremely accurate load. I also know people who shoot 125gr Black Bullets in 9major that have no leading issues. 

I tried the blue bullets because they were recommend by another open shooter. Since I had good results with the blue's I stopped my bullet testing. So i have not tried the black bullets. I have also been told the black bullets are good for open!