Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Open Glock

jerkeejoe

My custom built Open Glock should be arriving in the next week or so from DC Precision and I can't wait!  This will be my first serious venture into open shooting.  I've been shooting limited for a few months now and look forward to jumping into Open. Decided to go with a glock as it's what i shoot best.  My limited gun is a modified G35 and I managed to shoot to a high A class my first few months, so I figure I can be plenty fast with an open Glock as well.

I'll post pics of my actual gun when it comes, but in the meantime, here's a pic of his personal gun he built for himself.  Mine will be nearly identical except coated multicam (because why not).

Started life as a G17. Slide milled significantly, custom designed (by DCP) and built frame weight, optic mount, and comp. Fully blended magwell, modified Apex trigger parts, and a KKM barrel. Total length is 1" longer than a stock G34.

404282503_OpenGlock.thumb.jpg.52c99529b620d03a512cbdfd276cb0e0.jpg

That looks pretty sweet. What does something like that run? Ive been shooting glocks for a couple years and just bought my first 2011 open gun used recently. Everyone talked me out of going the open glock route. Though I like the idea of it as my glocks have been bulletproof as far as reliability.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm hesitant to post the price since it's a custom.  Feel free to reach out to the smith and he can give you more info. I'm just a customer of his and have no financial interest in promoting his stuff. I'll post an honest and unbiased range report when I get the gun. That said, here's a link to his site and facebook if you want to contact him.

http://www.dcprecision.us/

https://www.facebook.com/DCPrecisionLLC/

Haha.  Sorry man.  Just don't want to step on the gunsmith's toes. I met him at SHOT this year and I believe mine and his are the first two Open guns he's built, so I don't know if the pricing I got is final pricing or the same for future guns.

3 minutes ago, Explosiveo said:

Making us work for it....not cool bro. Not cool.

Well the website doesn’t say anything either. If it’s more than $1500-$2000 it’s over priced. It IS a Glock.

A lot of things in the shooting sports world are overpriced. Some would say 6000+ for a 2011 open gun is overpriced. But l i have a gun buying addiction so i will take 3 of everything.

2 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

A lot of things in the shooting sports world are overpriced. Some would say 6000+ for a 2011 open gun is overpriced. But l i have a gun buying addiction so i will take 3 of everything.

Lol this is way I love enoes. So many just like me. I’m impulse buyer also 

Lol this is way I love enoes. So many just like me. I’m impulse buyer also 
Ya bro. Not to get way off topic but Enos has ruined my email. Being subscribed to the classifieds. 30+ emails per day. I could turn it off. But I won't. Because someday I'm going to buy something.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

That looks pretty sweet. What does something like that run? Ive been shooting glocks for a couple years and just bought my first 2011 open gun used recently. Everyone talked me out of going the open glock route. Though I like the idea of it as my glocks have been bulletproof as far as reliability.

There's a reason KC no longer shoots open Glocks.  Open major through Glocks is not a long term good idea.  Listen to his interview on Firearms Nation podcast.

That said, this is super nice looking gat.  Well done to the gunsmith!

15 minutes ago, bluedevil008 said:

There's a reason KC no longer shoots open Glocks.  Open major through Glocks is not a long term good idea.  Listen to his interview on Firearms Nation podcast.

That said, this is super nice looking gat.  Well done to the gunsmith!

Ya, his gripe was durability with the Glock shooting open. He didn’t have any gripes with speed or performance though. We’ll see how it goes. 

Ya, his gripe was durability with the Glock shooting open. He didn’t have any gripes with speed or performance though. We’ll see how it goes. 
Did he choose to stop shooting glocks or did he just switch sponsors? Open guns are notorious for being hard to keep running. Its not only glocks. Although im sure they would take more of a beating. Looks like this glock is 80% metal with that giant frame weight.

In the interview he said he was upset with the guns breaking down, but I don’t know if that was really the reason or just the stated reason for him to justify going to another sponsor. 

Honestly, I will run minor loads through mine quite a bit, so I’m not overly concerned. Even then mine will get a fraction of the rounds through it that KCs saw. If it doesn’t work out I’ll either go back to limited or buy a 2011 open gun. ?

Your going to own a 2011 open gun. I think we would all agree on that. There is no going back once you come to the dark side. Only further down the rabbit hole.

In the interview he said he was upset with the guns breaking down, but I don’t know if that was really the reason or just the stated reason for him to justify going to another sponsor. 

Honestly, I will run minor loads through mine quite a bit, so I’m not overly concerned. Even then mine will get a fraction of the rounds through it that KCs saw. If it doesn’t work out I’ll either go back to limited or buy a 2011 open gun. ?

Yea Dave’s local to me and does awesome work. His open Glock is the slickest I’ve seen. I used to run an open Glock and they work just fine. The only downside with an open Glock compared to an STI is the trigger. Don’t get any better than that

the main problem with open glocks are WT. and you have to load short 1.145 because there mags wont take loading long. That is a nice looking build i started open with a open glock 17

Ive never understood why loading short is a problem?  I understand if its ridiculously short but factory length doesnt seem a problem.  Yes pressure increases & you have a few less choices in powders due to lower volume but really those are small issues.  

3 minutes ago, mlmiller1 said:

Ive never understood why loading short is a problem?  I understand if its ridiculously short but factory length doesnt seem a problem.  Yes pressure increases & you have a few less choices in powders due to lower volume but really those are small issues.  

Bullet options are fewer as well but like you say, it CAN be done.

Having LOADS (pun intended) of experience with the bad parts of shooting Glock Open as a focus, just that pic alone shows me a serious improvement over past attempts at Open Plastic.

One major thing is that the scope mount is attached to something other than the frame itself. I ran 25k out of my old Carver, and went through three SJC mounts in that time due to the aluminum stripping out (I assume to the stress/flex of the frame. Plausible). 

I seriously hope you update us once you throw lead downrange. Maybe a vid, or 5? Really curious to holster choices as well. Ghost? CR?

On 5/15/2018 at 9:45 AM, mlmiller1 said:

I used to run 3n37 at 1.155. Not at all a pleasant experience on my hands....