Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New-ish to shooting USPSA; trying to find the right fit for me (division)

HBurgSTi

I've been stalking this forum for a while now and decided to sign-up... I have been shooting USPSA for about a year now but was only able to shoot about 4 matches until last weekend I started taggin' along with one of the Air Force shooting team members who I met because we are stationed at the same base.  Since then I have shot 3 matches and I am thoroughly addicted.  Mostly, I am trying to find the best division to match my shooting style/ability;  I was shooting Carry Optics with my 5" M&P Pro CORE .40 which is a big disadvantage since it is only scored Minor PF.  That plus having a very hard time tracking the dot (96% of my pistol shooting experience is with iron sights) drove my descision to take the dot off.  So, I switched to a race holster and added a magwell on top of the other mods I have done (competition spring kit [no flatty since it wasn't allowed for CO], ultimate striker block/sear, reset assist, TTI +5 Base pads) and BOOM I'm now shooting Limited.  So far so good in Limited; I shot two matches this past weekend and placed first in my class/division on Saturday and second on Sunday.  I'll quit rambling now, but I look forward to more actively participating on the forum and happy shooting to everyone!

Limited is really the division to be in if you're shooting .40

Sounds like your gun fits in nicely. Although, and I mean no disrespect, if you are placing highly as a new competition shooter, there is another school of thought. Many shooters I know decide to participate in the division that has the most 'local heat' so they can compare their progress against a larger group of skilled shooters. Just a thought. Glad you're enjoying the sport so far!

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, HBurgSTi said:

So far so good in Limited; I  placed first  Saturday and second on Sunday.

If I could shoot 1st and 2nd in ANY Division, I'd stay there forever.    :cheers:

One day you might get the itch to get a 2011 instead for Limited, or get 

into OPEN, but for now, I'd just stick where I'm winning.

Good luck for your 5th match.    :) 

BTW, if you're currently shooting  factory  .40, you might want to start

reloading, or find factory .40 around PF 170 - 175.   Lot of .40 factory

is much higher PF.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If I could shoot 1st and 2nd in ANY Division, I'd stay there forever.    :cheers:

One day you might get the itch to get a 2011 instead for Limited, or get 

into OPEN, but for now, I'd just stick where I'm winning.

Good luck for your 5th match.    :) 

BTW, if you're currently shooting  factory  .40, you might want to start

reloading, or find factory .40 around PF 170 - 175.   Lot of .40 factory

is much higher PF.

Definitely happy with my current setup but will eventually move to a 2011 and current I do shoot factory ammo (165 gr freedom munitions which I believe makes around 185 PF), but I was gifted a multistage hornaday press and once I get the die set and other peripheral equipment I am gonna start reloading and get as close to 170 PF as I can. Thats how the guy I’m gonna learn to reload from loads his match Ammo

9 hours ago, TrackCage said:

Limited is really the division to be in if you're shooting .40

Sounds like your gun fits in nicely. Although, and I mean no disrespect, if you are placing highly as a new competition shooter, there is another school of thought. Many shooters I know decide to participate in the division that has the most 'local heat' so they can compare their progress against a larger group of skilled shooters. Just a thought. Glad you're enjoying the sport so far!

The 1st and 2nd places were in the unclassified division; overall limited places were 4th and 7th (out of 10 and 15, respectively, limited shooters) so I definitely have lots of room for improvement. I am currently unclassified but will be a high D to mid C  and my goal is to be a B within a year... 

16 minutes ago, HBurgSTi said:

The 1st and 2nd places were in the unclassified division; overall limited places were 4th and 7th (out of 10 and 15, respectively, limited shooters) so I definitely have lots of room for improvement. I am currently unclassified but will be a high D to mid C  and my goal is to be a B within a year... 

Thats pretty good finishes for your first few matches. If you want to get serious I would start a dryfire regiment . I always thought I could shoot pretty well, then realized I had a lot to learn after a few matches if I wanted to be competitive. Your draw, reloads, Target transitions, movements, entering and exiting positions etc can all be practiced in dryfire. 

Edited by Turbo0321