Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are handguards so expensive?

xtian999

Sorry for the delayed response.  The Chandler Hardwoods were on both of my 3 Gun rifles and worked great.  I still have 4 of them on my current rifles and not a single issue.  They do take a small gas block, but that is not a issue for me either.

On 5/8/2018 at 12:28 PM, George16 said:

Even more expensive if you want the cool factor of a carbon fiber handguard from Isler. They look really nice though. I wonder when they’re going to have the 9” available again. It’s been out of stock for awhile now.

You can do better than that if we’re going full retard on price.

My PCC has a Brigand Arms on it now. $300 sure... but it’s only 4.6 ounces with the barrel nut.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:11 PM, TonytheTiger said:

I don't care that they're cheap. I do care that the barrel nut is garbage. And the gas tube channel is so minimally machined that almost all gas blocks will touch. And that it needs the sharp edges de burred. And that the bolts that clamp it onto the barrel nut are just threaded into aluminum so you can't really put any torque on them.

Exactly right. I used one on my 9mm PCC. It was adequate for that as its a toy for me. But after de burring, painting and screwing it on to the barrel nut I am of the opinion that you get what you pay for. I have and have had hand guards from PRI, JP, Knights Armament, Midwest, Seekins etc and they are worth the money for a quality precision product. I did have a friend though who loved his Yugo....go figure.

In the competition world of competitive shooting, people are willing to give up their first born for a competitive edge over their competition.  ounces turn into pounds.  lighter and cooler cost money.

…and a sucker is born every minute.  On my PCC, I use the Taccom carbon fiber for $80  on my 3gun rifles I have a UTG Pro and a Aero precision.  They work for me.

On 5/9/2018 at 6:21 PM, xtian999 said:

I need a large diameter handguard about 15+ inches to go over a 10.5” barrel w/9” x 1.6” suppressor. For now, I took the last 2” off an old narrow handguard and attached the can completely outside. It won’t go anywhere but the range like that, just for break-in and tuning. The Chandler handguards are cool, but not big enough i.d. to work for me. Still looking for a relatively inexpensive long-term solution.

I have a JP that I may be moving, it has a 1.75 inside diameter and is 15.5 in long.