Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are handguards so expensive?

xtian999

Even more expensive if you want the cool factor of a carbon fiber handguard from Isler. They look really nice though. I wonder when they’re going to have the 9” available again. It’s been out of stock for awhile now.

Edited by George16
Spelling

I did make my own CF handguard for my PCC. Got a good round type of barrel nut. Measured the OD. Went to ebay and ordered the CF tube with the closest ID. Cut if off to length I wanted. Sealed the end with black paint. Drilled 2-holes and screwed it to the barrel nut. Cost less than $100 total. Works and looks great. 

gerritm

A little tip for my fellow shooters, Chandler Hardwoods Inc.  They are all I use. They have worked very well for me.  Someone will complain that they are cheap. I have never had a issue and I have sold all of my stupid priced tubes now that I know better. A can of Krylon works great on the bare alum.

3 hours ago, troupe said:

A little tip for my fellow shooters, Chandler Hardwoods Inc.  They are all I use. They have worked very well for me.  Someone will complain that they are cheap. I have never had a issue and I have sold all of my stupid priced tubes now that I know better. A can of Krylon works great on the bare alum.

I don't care that they're cheap. I do care that the barrel nut is garbage. And the gas tube channel is so minimally machined that almost all gas blocks will touch. And that it needs the sharp edges de burred. And that the bolts that clamp it onto the barrel nut are just threaded into aluminum so you can't really put any torque on them.

9 hours ago, troupe said:

wow - those are the lowest prices I've seen.  Do you use these for 3gun? (dumping in barrels and the like)?

ALG has an economy model which is $85 for the 13". I you don't need to hang a bunch of stuff off it, could be a good cheap option. May be tight on the gas block.

https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-v0-e.html  Aero makes a basic model as well.

Extrusions are not overly expensive and the tooling for them can be pretty reasonable. The extruder has to set up and run if he runs 1000 ft or 10000 ft. With hand guards you probably have low volumes which lead to higher material cost and anodizing cost. The more expensive guards usually have more shaping and cuts which means more machine time. Once you throw in scrap rates, shipping, a barrel nut, fasteners, qc, packaging, installation instructions/customer service, etc. $150 is probably not a bad price. And if you consider the distributor had to make a little money as well, the manufacturer is probably not making nearly as much as it may seem on a cheap chunk of aluminum.

https://cardinalaluminum.com/ is a quality extruder. 

Edited by Chip3

I need a large diameter handguard about 15+ inches to go over a 10.5” barrel w/9” x 1.6” suppressor. For now, I took the last 2” off an old narrow handguard and attached the can completely outside. It won’t go anywhere but the range like that, just for break-in and tuning. The Chandler handguards are cool, but not big enough i.d. to work for me. Still looking for a relatively inexpensive long-term solution.

12 hours ago, xtian999 said:

I need a large diameter handguard about 15+ inches to go over a 10.5” barrel w/9” x 1.6” suppressor. For now, I took the last 2” off an old narrow handguard and attached the can completely outside. It won’t go anywhere but the range like that, just for break-in and tuning. The Chandler handguards are cool, but not big enough i.d. to work for me. Still looking for a relatively inexpensive long-term solution.

The Aero Precision Quantum handguard should work for you, it's 1.78" ID and designed to clear suppressors.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-quantum-mlok-handguards.html