Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 heavy magwell

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got my Limcat stainless steel magwell as described above. Weighs in at just about 2oz more than my Dawson ICE and my Brazos magwell.

4djgiSV.jpg

34yAE4tl.jpg

If you like the Dawson ICE, I think you'll really like this grip. The profile is similar and the way they fit with your hands is very close. The contour (it's convex!) of the insert is fantastic.

diyXct4l.jpg

VK0pKUcl.jpg

Cis7Xfdl.jpg

10gybh9l.jpg

My grip is undercut specifically to fit my hand to my Brazos magwell though, so I'm sticking with that for now. But I might hack away at a new grip just to see if I can get it to match the Limcat/ICE profile as well as the current grip fits Brazos.

1 minute ago, Aiden said:

Just got my Limcat stainless steel magwell as described above. Weighs in at just about 2oz more than my Dawson ICE and my Brazos magwell.

If you like the Dawson ICE, I think you'll really like this grip. The profile is similar and the way they fit with your hands is very close. The contour (it's convex!) of the insert is fantastic.

My grip is undercut specifically to fit my hand to my Brazos magwell though, so I'm sticking with that for now. But I might hack away at a new grip just to see if I can get it to match the Limcat/ICE profile as well as the current grip fits Brazos.

Is that compared to a standard Dawson or the Heavy Brass Dawson?

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, CzViper said:

Can anyone who has a brass magwell tell us how much they weigh?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That info is on here somewhere, can’t recall exactly but I want to say the Limcat V2 is an ounce or so heavier than the Dawson Heavy. 

I run an Infinity large stainless magwell on my limited gun.  I like it a lot better than the smaller aluminum magwell.  It keeps my support hand snug vs. moving around and the extra weight improves the balance with the 5.4 bull barrel.  Not sure if they make one for non-SV grips.

4 hours ago, echotango said:

The limcat V2 is great for PT EVO grips where you can get the mag stuck if you insert it at the wrong anlge.  With practice it can mostly goes away but it goes away all together with the V2 magwell.  

This is the exact reason I switched from the ICE to a limcat magwell. I couldn’t stand mags sticking in the gun. 

6 minutes ago, kk4364 said:

V1 steel insert shows available at speedshooters now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There is a difference between V1 and v2.  V1 is a more traditional style magwell. I think Limcat is the only place to get the v2.  I’ll try to post pictures tomorrow. 

Edited by tha1000

10 hours ago, kk4364 said:

Cool. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So yeah. They’re two totally different magwells. I love the V2. Bought a V1 not knowing any better.  I think the V2 is heavier and fits larger hands better. The V1 is gigantic. 

Matte is V1, chrome is V2

E3F90E0D-0777-492A-AFA7-050159C4E7C7.jpeg.23d53ed29a987d464f189bfc92b6d230.jpeg

Top is V2, bottom is V1. The V1 has a more traditional design insert. Still steel, but. Or nearly as much steel as the V2. 

7DB35AEE-6CFE-4933-9203-E7B4E88F2771.jpeg.a76d9cd47a892a670a2355aa53b5e6a7.jpeg

Edited by tha1000

I have always thought that heavy magwell is adding weight to wrong place considering the recoil backslash. On the other hand extended mass is slowing the movement. In that case it would make a sense to use brass magazine basepads.

Is there any study on this?