Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moonclip Loaders?

jkrispies

Continuing my research on revolvers...  What are the cool kids using to load their moonclips these days?  It seems like whenever I come across somebody loading at the range, they're complaining (or looking like they want to complain) about their tool being a PITA.  I was looking at this one (https://www.tkcustom.com/products/mct-sw686x6) and thinking that it looks pretty simple, and simple is usually good.  Who wants to weigh in?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made demooners out of pieces of my kid's golf clubs. Knew they were good for something! To load, just press in or, for some of the .040 clips, a small set of bent jaw pliers. Never had a problem myself.

BTW I load all my clips at home and carry in the bottom of my bag in a tray I made. It holds 48 clips. Never ran out at a match yet...

Jeez, that was the fastest batch of responses to a posting I've ever made!  Revolver guys are a special batch, huh?  BMT it is, then.

Since you all are apparently using moonclip tools... maybe now would be a good time to ask if there's a recommended place to cut a cylinder for clips?

5 minutes ago, RevolverJockey said:

What gun do you have that isn’t already cut?

An old 686.  I was going to use it in Steel Challenge.  Since I'm not planning to do Revolver in USPSA, I'm figuring 6 rounds should get me along okay, and it won't cost me an arm and a leg.  Figured it might be a good idea to go with moonclips so I could load everything up the night before.

Edited by jkrispies

32 minutes ago, RevolverJockey said:

You might have good luck with a decent quality loading block and a good speed loader. That way you could walk up to the line with everything ready to go and try it out before investing anything into the gun. Just a thought. 

What exactly would "a decent quality loading block" be?  I'm totally unedumacated in this stuff...

Edited by jkrispies

12 minutes ago, RevolverJockey said:

For me? A cheap cutting board with holes drilled in it. They sell them but they are easy to make with a drill press. 

Ah, okay...  I just looked up the Safariland loading block, so I see what it is.  I already own some speed loaders (somewhere) and can see a block speeding up the loading process.  I'm definitely trying to keep my costs down with this venture, but I also don't want to cheap out to the point that I'm going to be holding up other shooters while I'm loading up.  (I'm an RO so my loading tends to be rushed.)  This could be helpful if I can come up with a system where I can have all the rounds for the day set up and just need to drop the speed loader on them.  Thanks for the good advice.  

I have the BMT and it's a pain in the ass. The rounds always end up sideways or falling over and they don't easily slide down into the part where it loads them. As an unloader the tool is amazing, but to load I'd rather tie my hands behind my back and use a pair of pliers. I use the TK tool to load.

If the BMT mooner had a spring loaded assist and wasn't so damned tight, it would be perfect. But the only way to load rounds is to use gravity to help (or a third hand) and the material is too abrasive to let the top-heavy rounds slide easily.

It is hard to beat the BMT for 38 spcl and short/long colt, Revolver Supply has a good moonclip loader as does TK Custom. The BMT for 9mm and 45 acp not quite as handy in my opinion. I have all of these and they all have their place depending which gun I am using and what moonclips.

14 hours ago, swordfish said:

I have the BMT and it's a pain in the ass. The rounds always end up sideways or falling over and they don't easily slide down into the part where it loads them. As an unloader the tool is amazing, but to load I'd rather tie my hands behind my back and use a pair of pliers. I use the TK tool to load.

If the BMT mooner had a spring loaded assist and wasn't so damned tight, it would be perfect. But the only way to load rounds is to use gravity to help (or a third hand) and the material is too abrasive to let the top-heavy rounds slide easily.

I've got a BMT and it is definitely moonclip sensitive.  Some clips work like butter and others cannot be fully loaded.  I have a mix of clips with some being TK's while some others are from a local supplier (but look just like the TK's) and I don't know which is which.  I did see that the BMT loader has a recommended brass/moonclip combo page and I'm sure it would work better if I bought the right clips.  I second the opinion about the BMT being an amazing demooner.

1 hour ago, jhgtyre said:

I've got a BMT and it is definitely moonclip sensitive.  Some clips work like butter and others cannot be fully loaded.  I have a mix of clips with some being TK's while some others are from a local supplier (but look just like the TK's) and I don't know which is which.  I did see that the BMT loader has a recommended brass/moonclip combo page and I'm sure it would work better if I bought the right clips.  I second the opinion about the BMT being an amazing demooner.

When the cartridges make it to the clip, they load fine. But getting my 150gr 9mm to slide down in order and not fall over, and stay flush to the bottom so the extractor groove lines up, that's the hard part. The 38/357 ones look like they do a great job though.