Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt Competition or R.O Elite Target for SS?

Steve-O

This will be my first time shooting single stack and need some help picking my new rig. I probley couldn't go wrong with either and leaning towards the Colt Competition at the moment. 

I was in the same position a year ago. Decided to get the Colt because it was a Colt and I liked the blue grips.  

The RO was on my list because of the fully adjustable rear sight, the Colt was only elevation unless you drift the sight for windage. Not too many rear sight options for this one unless the slide is milled. 

I didn’t care for the Colt’s series 80 parts but now they come as series 70’s. Didn’t know where the RO frames are made. All I remember about SA was that my old SA had a made in Brazil marking. 

Got out me the Colt since it was on sale for $799. Was only to dabble in single stack without dumping in a bunch of dough. Plus I got the 9mm version so I could use my Production loads. 

I have one of the RO Elite compacts, and I really like the feel of it. It has the thin line grips which are good if you have smaller hands. My custom single stacks were all made to fit my hand. Yet the RO comes close in its stock configuration. The Colt grip felt very thick in my hand. So base it on which fits your hand better.

5 hours ago, HI5-O said:

I was in the same position a year ago. Decided to get the Colt because it was a Colt and I liked the blue grips.  

The RO was on my list because of the fully adjustable rear sight, the Colt was only elevation unless you drift the sight for windage. Not too many rear sight options for this one unless the slide is milled. 

I didn’t care for the Colt’s series 80 parts but now they come as series 70’s. Didn’t know where the RO frames are made. All I remember about SA was that my old SA had a made in Brazil marking. 

Got out me the Colt since it was on sale for $799. Was only to dabble in single stack without dumping in a bunch of dough. Plus I got the 9mm version so I could use my Production loads. 

If Iam looking at a Colt Competition how can I tell if it has series 70 parts or series 80? I also like the undercut trigger guard of the Colt. 

The other thing about the colt is that it doesn't have a ramped barrel. While I'm sure they run decently, this is a feature that adds greatly to the reliability of feeding 9mm in the 1911 platform.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, jschweg said:

The other thing about the colt is that it doesn't have a ramped barrel. While I'm sure they run decently, this is a feature that adds greatly to the reliability of feeding 9mm in the 1911 platform.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sorry I forgot to add that mine will be a .45. Will a non ramped barrel be ok in .45? 

On 5/6/2018 at 4:47 PM, Macinaw said:

(S&W pic)

Can you somehow blur or erase the caution statement? I don't mind my peanut butter having a "caution - contains peanuts" legal disclaimer, but I'm not shooting my Jiffy jar in competition, either. 

(Edit: please view in 'sarcasm font')

Edited by Igloodude
Realized it came out sounding harsh

I have an ro elite operator in 9mm. I also have a buddy with a 9mm ro.  The elite is a bit smoother and better finish. It’s debatable who has the better trigger. I have to put them on the gauge and see but it’s close.  I’ve seen some pretty good deals on the elite lately. I paid about a grand for mine. 

I dont have a ton of rounds through mine as I’m not much of a 1911 guy but it is highly accurate. The grips on the elite are way better and it’s a better looking gun 

Edited by Nathanb

I'd stay away from the Colt Competition guns. The two I've seen and shot were horribly put together. The 80 series triggers suck and the barrel fitment is some of the worse I've seen. I can't believe Colt called it a Competition model. Every Range Officer I've shot has been a pleasure to shoot. Never shot a RO Elite but I'd imagine it to be just as great as the regular Range Officer's. 

On 5/9/2018 at 5:48 PM, terrydoc said:

Nice grips on the S&W are they available anywhere?

Roco grips. Google the name. They're about $40.00 if memory serves.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/semi-auto-walnut-grips-prod22890.aspx

On 5/12/2018 at 9:04 PM, bjones6686 said:

I'd stay away from the Colt Competition guns. The two I've seen and shot were horribly put together. The 80 series triggers suck and the barrel fitment is some of the worse I've seen. I can't believe Colt called it a Competition model. Every Range Officer I've shot has been a pleasure to shoot. Never shot a RO Elite but I'd imagine it to be just as great as the regular Range Officer's. 

I thought it had the 70 series trigger? 

2 hours ago, Steve-O said:

I thought it had the 70 series trigger? 

Originally came with 80 series trigger. Newer models come with 70 series trigger. The two I've shot both had 80 series triggers

Edited by bjones6686

A lot of them are. The gun with the magwell has to fit into the box. Usually the "Big Mouth" type are too large. But magwells like the Dawson Ice will fit the box. But you have to watch the overall weight after adding a magwell. And that's why they also make them with aluminum mainspring housings.

2 hours ago, Postal Bob said:

A lot of them are. The gun with the magwell has to fit into the box. Usually the "Big Mouth" type are too large. But magwells like the Dawson Ice will fit the box. But you have to watch the overall weight after adding a magwell. And that's why they also make them with aluminum mainspring housings.

Got it thanks