Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Handling Question

RickT

I feel more confident that a holstered gun is clear than I do a gun that is just sitting in a cart or pulled from a bag. I mean, who really knows it's still clear if you are not in constant contact with it?

I’m just the opposite. I can see a chamber flag and know there can be no round chambered because the flag is in the chamber, but a holstered pistol doesn’t tell me anything, and we have to assume it’s empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

I’m just the opposite. I can see a chamber flag and know there can be no round chambered because the flag is in the chamber, but a holstered pistol doesn’t tell me anything, and we have to assume it’s empty. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is possible to have a chamber flag in and NOT have the chamber cleared.  

1420136917_Chamberflag.jpg.d342012441413ca627d27059f867b520.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2018 at 8:06 PM, Sarge said:

As far as USPSA goes there is nothing forbidding handling a PCC such as taking it out of the car and putting it on a cart as long as it's flagged.

Steel Challenge rules do not prohibit unbagging and carting at the vehicle. 

39D6C188-AE97-4348-9CF3-50C9D68189B3.png

On 5/6/2018 at 8:06 PM, Sarge said:

As far as USPSA goes there is nothing forbidding handling a PCC such as taking it out of the car and putting it on a cart as long as it's flagged.

Edited by scooterj
Double post

On 5/31/2018 at 4:12 PM, Trent1k1 said:

It is possible to have a chamber flag in and NOT have the chamber cleared.  

1420136917_Chamberflag.jpg.d342012441413ca627d27059f867b520.jpg

I don’t flag other people’s PCC when I RO.

The chamber may not be empty in the above example but the rifle sure will not fire with the flag that way.  Course a shooter comes to the line install's a mag and racks the bolt and a round comes out he/she is likely headed to get some ice cream.

On 8/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, scooterj said:

Steel Challenge rules do not prohibit unbagging and carting at the vehicle. 

39D6C188-AE97-4348-9CF3-50C9D68189B3.png

I am unsure how #13 there allows unbagging at a vehicle.  Unless your car is next to the shooting box, and the RO says "Make Ready."

On 8/10/2018 at 8:45 PM, scooterj said:

It’s not stated that one cannot unbag and put the PCC in the cart at the vehicle. Flagged PCCs are considered safe, are they not?

I am thinking you may be confusing the USPSA and SC rulesets. They are not the same.

In SC, PCCs must always have a flag in them unless the Make Ready command has been given.  Prior to the Make Ready command, and after the "Range is Clear" command, the PCC must be either bagged or secured in a cart unless you are in a Safety Area.  There is no "carry vertically with a flag" situation in SC, nor is there a "you can unbag/uncart at the berm" rule.

If you unbag at your car and put it into a cart, flag or not, that's a DQ situation.  You can do that at a Safety Area, or on the line after your first stage.

USPSA has a different PCC-handling ruleset.

Our cars are not safe areas. We should not be putting our long guns on carts at the car. This is not clearly defined in the rules but will be. The only place you should remove your long gun from the case and put it on the cart is in a safe area or on the line supervised by the RO.

3 hours ago, ZackJones said:

Our cars are not safe areas. We should not be putting our long guns on carts at the car. This is not clearly defined in the rules but will be. The only place you should remove your long gun from the case and put it on the cart is in a safe area or on the line supervised by the RO.

Why not stay in step with the parent rule set? Flagged rifles are good to go as long as no sweeping. 

Or are you saying USPSA rules will change as well?

Why not stay in step with the parent rule set? Flagged rifles are good to go as long as no sweeping. 
  Or are you saying USPSA rules will change as well?

I can’t speak to USPSA Handgun rules. I don’t have any input in that area.

At my club, the only place you can uncase and or handle a firearm is at one of our designated safe tables or in the shooters box under the direction of a RO. This is clearly stated in the shooters registration conformation that is sent prior to attending the match. If someone uncases any where else they will be told to leave.

2 hours ago, conditionone said:

At my club, the only place you can uncase and or handle a firearm is at one of our designated safe tables or in the shooters box under the direction of a RO. This is clearly stated in the shooters registration conformation that is sent prior to attending the match. If someone uncases any where else they will be told to leave.

Which game? If it’s a USPSA match they shouldn’t be able to get away with that since it’s a local rule that contradicts the real rules.

Edited by Sarge

Steel Challenge. It would be the same for any event. The shooter would not receive a DQ as it is not a SCSA/USPSA violation, but they would still have to leave. 

It is clearly stated at the time of online registration and the shooter has the option to withdraw from the event well in advance or simply comply with a common sense club safety rule. 

2 hours ago, conditionone said:

Steel Challenge. It would be the same for any event. The shooter would not receive a DQ as it is not a SCSA/USPSA violation, but they would still have to leave. 

It is clearly stated at the time of online registration and the shooter has the option to withdraw from the event well in advance or simply comply with a common sense club safety rule. 

Yeah, I won’t shoot a sanctioned match at a club that does that . 

8 hours ago, conditionone said:

Could you post a link to their registration page?  I'd like to see how they word it.  Do they use the phrase "or simply comply with common sense club safety rule"?