Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

700 action bolt design

Bronco9588

Forgive my ignorance on the topic. I really like the three rings of steel design of a standard remington 700. I believe it requires the bolt nose to be recessed in order to fit in the cutout of the barrel to get the 3rd ring.

I also like the concept of a remage where I can change out the caliber or replace a shot out barrel without a lathe. Moreover these barrels seem to be counterbored for the bolt nose to fit inside the action to support this 3 ring concept.

I have been looking at the arc mausingfield and the bighorn action for their positive retention of the round. The bolt noses on these actions do not appear to accomplish the three rings of steel concept. Am I mistaken? I don't see how the geometry works with some aftermarket actions, albeit they are well engineered with other features.

If you are looking for a rifle that will allow you to change out barrels without a smith and an extremely tough action then a desert tech will fit the bill. It can take a massive amount of torture without failing. Look for primal Rights videos on YouTube where he loaded up a 338LM with pistol powder.

As far as the specific actions you were asking about...I don’t know the answer.

I wouldn't buy a bull pup bolt action...

I don't think it is possible to have a positive retention action with 3 rings of steel. Looks like I an stuck with the deviant for life or need to go over to savage barrels if I want a mausingfield.