• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, tomv said:

AA states on their website that "Select" ammo uses reconditioned brass, ie. reloads.

I talked to the kid that brought Max over a case of their ammo at the US Steel Shoot. He said they usually use assorted range brass for their loads. I asked if they load with new brass and he said it was generally range stuff. (AKA reloads)

Max didn't seem to mind. He has a load that they have tuned to his gun, same as Doug @ Hornady.

From the loads I've tried it seems like about 111-112 power factor is the sweet spot for SC loads in my Steelcats and my friend's DVC Steel gun. 100% reliability. Whether it's a 95 gr bullet going 1150 - 1175 fps or a 115 gr bullet going 970 or so. Lower than that my guns will run 95 - 98% but not quite reliably enough. My guns are new so I'm hoping that when thoroughly broken in they will run sub 110 PF. Actually I'm going to try to get there with the lighter bullet since there's more energy available to work the slide with the higher velocity. Right now running MG 95 gr JHP over 4 gr of N310 @ 1.080 COAL.

With 109 PF 115s the guns feel like a .22, almost no dot movement. Slide cycles slower than with 95s but still OK for me.

• 5 months later...

TomV and I shoot together.  We've been doing some 25 yard accuracy / grouping tests ( off a bench rest )  with the Atlanta Arms 100gr and it appears that it isn't great.  We really like the soft shooting characteristics, but when compared to other handloads or even box stock CCI Blazer, grouping consistency is less than desired.  This was verified in both STI DVC Steel and Limcat steelcat guns on 2 separate occasions , multiple magazines, and with completely different Atlanta ammo boxes.    We're steel challenge shooters, so at closer distances it won't be as drastic, but still something that bothers me.  

At 25 yards, it wasn't uncommon to have 4 rounds out of 10 not even get on paper with an 8" target.   Very difficult to get a tight grouping.   We were able to repeat this many times.    In contrast, we were able to get 2-3" groupings with other ammo.   Not concerned it if had a different POA than other ammo, but the lack of consistency in groupings is what we noticed.

Any theories why there would be less consistency with this ammo ? 

On 2/25/2019 at 5:05 PM, jrdoran said:

At 25 yards, it wasn't uncommon to have 4 rounds out of 10 not even get on paper with an 8" target.   Very difficult to get a tight grouping.   We were able to repeat this many times.    In contrast, we were able to get 2-3" groupings with other ammo.   Not concerned it if had a different POA than other ammo, but the lack of consistency in groupings is what we noticed.

Any theories why there would be less consistency with this ammo ? 

If anyone could completely figure this stuff out, they'd be elevated to a God by reloaders and practical shooters everywhere.

It doesn't take much to mess up the program when you're stepping away from the "conventional wisdom"-type loads that are in loading manuals.  If you were trying to load a 147 grainer at 930 fps, you're right where everyone else wants to play, so there is enough wisdom out there to say "Use this powder and load to this length".

If you're loading a heavy .380 bullet in 9mm and trying to run it a little faster than a .380 guy would, failing wouldn't surprise me.  As a matter of fact, I'd be pleasantly surprised if it DID work well on the first attempt.  Any change in powder, OAL, or crimp could be the difference between 😀 and 😥.

You've got to be willing to experiment a lot.  When I'm doing load development, all of my friends hate me for a little while, because I am bumming different powders and bullets just so I can try EVERYTHING. 

I'll tell you why I like the Berry's 100 gr. HBRN:  The hollow base, combined with a more rounded nose, puts more weight up front and make the Center of Mass move forward.  If you do this, the bullet acts more like a shuttlecock in flight and is more stable than a bullet whose CoM is a bit further back.  I think that this makes this particular bullet a little more-forgiving of the other variables that we introduce when thinking outside the box.

• 7 months later...

This thread has been around for a while. In response to Sticks question way back when, I have been shooting my SC pistol load in my PCC. The gun is an AR15 with Taccom shrouded barrel upper and Holosun 510C sight. Very light, accurate load. Runs 100%.  115 gr MG JHP, 3.8 N320, 1.135.

This thread has been around for a while. In response to Sticks question way back when, I have been shooting my SC pistol load in my PCC. The gun is an AR15 with Taccom shrouded barrel upper and Holosun 510C sight. Very light, accurate load. Runs 100%.  115 gr MG JHP, 3.8 N320, 1.135.