Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlanta Arms - 100Gr. Steel Challenge

bigtimelarry

I haven't shot them in a handgun, other than to check accuracy in my S&W 9mm CORE/RMR. From my Ruger PC they are doing about 1160... 116 PF. Excellent for Steel Challenge. Very reliable.

Bayou Bullets makes a 105 coated slug with a good sized bearing surface. 3.3 grains N310, perfect function, and scary accurate! I'm talking 1-inch 25 yard bench rest groups with a 6 moa dot. Haven't chronoed it. No need. Just use for Steel Challenge. Totally reliable. I like the AA 100 grain... but the 105 Bayou is what I would use as the 'equivalent' handload.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, tomv said:

That's the COL for a .380 round. If used in 9mm this bullet can be loaded much longer. Typically 1.135.

Good point...  I keep forgetting that they sell this as a .380 round, not 9mm...

The Berry's web site says: "Our most popular .380 bullet"  ...  probably because so many steel shooters are using them for 9mm...  ?

12 minutes ago, tomv said:

The Montana gold 95 gr JHP sells for $405.00 a case (4500 rounds). $90.00 / thousand. Much better bullet.

I didn't know about the MG 95gr JHP bullets...  Good tip, thanks @tomv

I like shooting JHP bullets in a gun with a comp...  and I like MG bullets...  I think I'll order some of these...  What division are you shooting them in?  I'm planning to use them in PCC... 

On 7/20/2018 at 12:38 PM, RaylanGivens said:

Good point...  I keep forgetting that they sell this as a .380 round, not 9mm...

The Berry's web site says: "Our most popular .380 bullet"  ...  probably because so many steel shooters are using them for 9mm...  ?

I tried the MG 95 gr bullets.

The longest OAL I could load was 1.085. At that there was very little bullet in the case. About a 1/16 th.

No way could you load to 1.135. Impossible!

21 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

I tried the MG 95 gr bullets.

The longest OAL I could load was 1.085. At that there was very little bullet in the case. About a 1/16 th.

No way could you load to 1.135. Impossible!

I have some of the Montana Gold 95gr bullets now...  They are much shorter than I was expecting...

Did you shoot any of your 1.085 loads?  How did they work?

I'm concerned that the bullet might pull out of the case when it hits the ramp.

I load my 95 grains (Ares coated) at 1.070" and they feed just fine, very accurate as well. 

The bullet itself is 0.460" long so you can figure out how much is in the case. (not much :P  )

Gun used is an Infinity 2011 with 9mm/.38 super mags.

2 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I have some of the Montana Gold 95gr bullets now...  They are much shorter than I was expecting...

Did you shoot any of your 1.085 loads?  How did they work?

I'm concerned that the bullet might pull out of the case when it hits the ramp.

They shot very well with 4 grs of WST  out of my 9 rifle but would not cycle my Glock consistently even with a 11 lb recoil spring.

I measured cases to get the shortest ones figuring that the bullet would not be in the shorter cases as much as the longer ones.

Loaded them. Measured the overall length of each. Tried to press the bullets in against my vice with a chunk of 2x4 to see if they would set back

into the case. Re measured them. None set back and I was pushing against them way harder than the action of the gun would do to them.

Real scientific I know but I trust them not to set back while shooting. I have almost no crimp on them. I have shot around 500 with no problem.

Extremely accurate out to 35yds. Shooting off a ladder 1" groups and less are everyday.

I went as low as 2.5. with the rifle.There was almost no recoil at all. Dot did not move.  It would be quite the steel challenge load. The 4 gr load would knock down a full size USPSA popper at 15 yds. but iffy beyond that. Plates were no problem out to 25 yds.

Fun load!

Atlanta Arms bullet is a Berry's 100 gr hollow base round nose plated bullet. Because of hollow base it's only about .025 shorter than a Montana Gold 115 JHP. It looks like AA is using 3.9 gr of N310 powder.

I have had no problems at all with Montana gold 95 gr JHP at 1.080 COAL. Feed fne and bullets are secure. About 1200 rounds fired so far.

14 hours ago, tomv said:

Atlanta Arms bullet is a Berry's 100 gr hollow base round nose plated bullet. Because of hollow base it's only about .025 shorter than a Montana Gold 115 JHP. It looks like AA is using 3.9 gr of N310 powder.

I have had no problems at all with Montana gold 95 gr JHP at 1.080 COAL. Feed fne and bullets are secure. About 1200 rounds fired so far.

What brand of gun are you using with the 95's?

I am trying to get my Glock to run them. but they don't want to feed consistently.

At 1.085 my 1911 runs great! Glock 17 is set up for carry optics. Runs any other weight bullet well.

On 7/29/2018 at 6:21 PM, dmshozer1 said:

They shot very well with 4 grs of WST  out of my 9 rifle but would not cycle my Glock consistently even with a 11 lb recoil spring.

I measured cases to get the shortest ones figuring that the bullet would not be in the shorter cases as much as the longer ones.

Loaded them. Measured the overall length of each. Tried to press the bullets in against my vice with a chunk of 2x4 to see if they would set back

into the case. Re measured them. None set back and I was pushing against them way harder than the action of the gun would do to them.

Real scientific I know but I trust them not to set back while shooting. I have almost no crimp on them. I have shot around 500 with no problem.

Extremely accurate out to 35yds. Shooting off a ladder 1" groups and less are everyday.

I went as low as 2.5. with the rifle.There was almost no recoil at all. Dot did not move.  It would be quite the steel challenge load. The 4 gr load would knock down a full size USPSA popper at 15 yds. but iffy beyond that. Plates were no problem out to 25 yds.

Fun load!

Thanks for the info...  Looks like you have a good plan and that it works!

I loaded some Zero 115gr bullets out to 1.165 for my Open gun a few years ago  and some of the bullets pulled out while shooting...  I changed to a different 115gr bullet and have loaded thousands of them at 1.165...  But I am always leery about pulling out bullets that are short in the case.

On 7/29/2018 at 7:05 PM, tomv said:

Thanks for the feedback...

I was concerned about the accuracy of the Berry's 100gr hollow base bullets...  They're sort of a reverse hollow point with the open bullet area at the base of the bullet instead of at the top...  I was concerned that they might wobble or something...  Have you tried them?  Shoot good?

39 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Thanks for the info...  Looks like you have a good plan and that it works!

I loaded some Zero 115gr bullets out to 1.165 for my Open gun a few years ago  and some of the bullets pulled out while shooting...  I changed to a different 115gr bullet and have loaded thousands of them at 1.165...  But I am always leery about pulling out bullets that are short in the case.

I was leary that I would stick one in my rifle barrel but I now have confidence that will not happen.

Wish I could get my glock to run them.

36 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Thanks for the feedback...

I was concerned about the accuracy of the Berry's 100gr hollow base bullets...  They're sort of a reverse hollow point with the open bullet area at the base of the bullet instead of at the top...  I was concerned that they might wobble or something...  Have you tried them?  Shoot good?

I tried the hollow base Berry 100 gr bullets. At least out of my gun they were very accurate.

I went to the M.G's because of the shape you can load them a little deeper in the case.

I would have no problem using them. They shot fine with no set back.

On 7/31/2018 at 2:02 PM, dmshozer1 said:

I tried the hollow base Berry 100 gr bullets. At least out of my gun they were very accurate.

I went to the M.G's because of the shape you can load them a little deeper in the case.

I would have no problem using them. They shot fine with no set back.

I'm not sure I understand... 

You went to the shorter Montana Gold 95gr bullets over the Berry's 100gr bullets because you could load them deeper in the case?  That seems backwards to me?

I've never seen any of the Berry's 100gr bullets...  Is there something about their shape that makes them more difficult to load longer that the MG 95gr bullets?

18 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I'm not sure I understand... 

You went to the shorter Montana Gold 95gr bullets over the Berry's 100gr bullets because you could load them deeper in the case?  That seems backwards to me?

I've never seen any of the Berry's 100gr bullets...  Is there something about their shape that makes them more difficult to load longer that the MG 95gr bullets?

Hard to explain but hear it goes,

The MG have a longer flat surface for the case to seat on. The Berry's profile is more tapered. There is less flat surface to seat the bullet in the case.

I load the MG out to 1.085. I have to load the Berry's at 1.065 with less bullet in the case because of the profile.

The Berry's did not set back even with less in the case but i like the idea of the MG's being longer OAL with with more in the case.

Best I can do.

4 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

Hard to explain but hear it goes,

The MG have a longer flat surface for the case to seat on. The Berry's profile is more tapered. There is less flat surface to seat the bullet in the case.

I load the MG out to 1.085. I have to load the Berry's at 1.065 with less bullet in the case because of the profile.

The Berry's did not set back even with less in the case but i like the idea of the MG's being longer OAL with with more in the case.

Best I can do.

Sometimes its difficult to explain something with words when you can't see it...  But, you did a great job...  I understand it, thanks!

I ordered a few of the Berry's 100's to see what they look like...  Curious after finding out that AA uses them.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:24 PM, kps9999 said:

Picked up a few boxes to try them out.  First thing I noticed is many different head stamps. So I'm guessing these are remans. Can anyone confirm?

Shot them in my 320 X5. Very soft, the muzzle barely lifted.

But they're way overpriced, especially for reman. IMO.