bigtimelarry

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
Thinking about going down this road with the 100gr 9mm from Atlanta arms.  Any updates on current experiences ? 

I continue to use it almost exclusively. I have some 115’s left and once those are gone the 100 is all I will shoot. I’m providing a case to the guys at Leadstar to make sure my new PCC runs it.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:41 AM, bigtimelarry said:

I was shooting their 115Gr. steel challenge too and it shoots nice, but after I shot their 100Gr.   I dont want to shoot anything else but the 100Gr. It spoils you..

On 6/28/2018 at 7:17 AM, ZackJones said:

I continue to use it almost exclusively. I have some 115’s left and once those are gone the 100 is all I will shoot. I’m providing a case to the guys at Leadstar to make sure my new PCC runs it.

Out of curiosity, what were you loading under your 115s for steel?

Edited by Hammer002

I'm loading 115 gr MG JHP over 3.8 gr of N320 @ 1.130". 109 power factor. Nice soft accurate load. 

Anyone with experience with a load like this now shooting the 100 gr Atlanta arms ammo? I ask because they are both about the same power factor.

I shot the 100gr Atlanta Steel challenge  in a practice match 2 days ago.   Shot great in my STI DVC Steel ( 7lb spring ).   I was quicker on transitions.  It shot softer and flatter than the speer 115gr TMJ ( 135pf ) I compared it against.      I did not compare accuracy groups, but it seems good enough for steel challenge ( showdown, accelerator, speed option ) stages. 

1 hour ago, ZackJones said:

Open gun and two different JP’s so far. It runs great in everything I’ve shot it in.

I tinkered with a 100gr load with Titegroup and WSF.  I didn't really notice a difference from my 124gr steel challenge load.  I would like to get some load data if anyone has any for the 100gr load.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed them about this same question; here is response

Our Select line is remanufactured ammunition. Our Premium line is loaded in new brass. Our Elite line is loaded with match-grade components. 

Best Regards,

Sales

Specialty Cartridge, Inc.

7129 Wheat Street NE

Covington, GA 30014

770-788-5200

www.atlantaarms.com

Edited by jrdoran

https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/bp-380-356-100gr-hbrn

For those of you thinking about rolling your own version of the AA 100gr Steel Challenge ammo; have any of you tried the Berry's 100gr bullets?

They are unusual in that they are sort of reverse hollow points - the base of the bullet is open to save weight and make the bullet longer...  Which sounds good, but the have the following note on their web site about them: 

SAAMI MAX COL = 0.984
   Can withstand velocities up to 1250 fps

I can live with the 1250 maximum fps limit, but I'm not sure what they mean by the SAAMI max COL of 0.984...  Maybe they're trying to say don't load them longer that 0.984... Maybe they're worried that if people load them longer than 0.984 the bullets will fall out of the case when the front of the bullet hits the ramp?

I feel like I had a successful experiment this week making steel challenge specific ammo. An Acme 115gr round nose over 3.2 Sport Pistol at 1.140" that averaged 900fps for right around 103pf. With an 11lb recoil spring the gun still worked but brass ejected at my feet. I'll try with a 9lb spring and see what I think.

Very soft, very flat. It was interesting as it became more about what I saw and how I moved the gun and less about how I shot/pulled the trigger. I shot a fair bit and with the lighter ammo I could get about two tenths faster per string than I could with my regular 130pf ammo I use in Production. So I'm sold.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

I feel like I had a successful experiment this week making steel challenge specific ammo. An Acme 115gr round nose over 3.2 Sport Pistol at 1.140" that averaged 900fps for right around 103pf. With an 11lb recoil spring the gun still worked but brass ejected at my feet. I'll try with a 9lb spring and see what I think.

Very soft, very flat. It was interesting as it became more about what I saw and how I moved the gun and less about how I shot/pulled the trigger. I shot a fair bit and with the lighter ammo I could get about two tenths faster per string than I could with my regular 130pf ammo I use in Production. So I'm sold.

I have noticed the same thing.

I tried the Bayou 105gr .358 dia. bullets. I loaded my 9mm 135gr auto load: 3.4gr Win 231 and seated the bullets at the front of the top band. They just barely move the gun. I also noticed that I was just looking and shooting and my times were also 2/10 or so quicker. Shot 500.

Called my "bullet guy" and told him I needed 1 or 2K of his 103gr RN. Picking them up today.

BTW this is for my revolver. Haven't tried them in the auto.

Thanks for the heads-up guys!

Nice to try something new. Again.

8 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

So how fast is this 100 grain ammo moving?  Will it knock down poppers and other falling steel?

Mine are doing upper 900s. They make around 102 or 103PF. Wouldn't count on them for much steel if it's very heavy or set heavy LOL.

51 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

Mine are doing upper 900s. They make around 102 or 103PF. Wouldn't count on them for much steel if it's very heavy or set heavy LOL.

Uhhhhh.....  It's for Steel Challenge...  Nothing's Falling..