Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marking Rounds

HalRex

Nope. I like to warn the new guys not to pick up any 9mm brass since I’m shooting 9MAJOR and they must be careful not to load it. Then I come back later and get it all. Bwahaha!!

Seriously though the only guys I know who mark brass are the 2-3 supercomp guys still in existence around here.

When I started developing loads for my semi auto rifle I did. I stopped doing it after I found a load that worked for my gun. 

I want one of those shockbottle cause gauges ?

Unfortunately, I mark all of my 38 Super cases.  It is by far the least enjoyable part of the reloading process.  If I ever switch to 9 Major, this will be as big a factor as the cost of brass

Yes, I agree with all. I only mark my non-major cases. I too shoot with a .38 super guy and he marks his - he prefers nickel plated and gets 5-6 reloads out of them. Once I made the plunge to 9 major I decided to just find the cheapest once fired brass and leave them on the ground.

19 minutes ago, Bullett said:

When I started developing loads for my semi auto rifle I did. I stopped doing it after I found a load that worked for my gun. 

I want one of those shockbottle cause gauges ?

It just came in the mail today and I’m already lovin’ it! It’s a blem directly from Shockbottle. They don’t always have blemished ones available but if you check back often you can save a few $. The blemish on mine can be seen in the pic just to the left of the upside down “e” in “gauge” - just a scratch.

Dykem makes a 2 oz. bottle with a felt applicator. I mark all of mine, but it is not so I get my cases back. If marked I know it went through quality control and I can tell if the live one picked up is mine.

9 hours ago, HalRex said:

It just came in the mail today and I’m already lovin’ it! 

Before you trust it completely, try a hundred rounds and make

sure it's tight enough to catch all the oversized rounds   :) 

I mark the bases, put em in a hundred round box and mark a 2 color X on them. Many of the regulars did the same in Hawaii. There was a barrel at the back of each stage and everyone when forward to tape and pick up brass and set it on barrel. Folks that cared could get their brass back and at end of match all the unmarked brass got dumped on a big screen table and people divied it up.
LEO used same range and they left their brass so there always lots of once fired Nickle Speer 40 to pick up.

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Before you trust it completely, try a hundred rounds and make

sure it's tight enough to catch all the oversized rounds   :) 

I crossed checked 100 that went thru my EGW and it caught a couple that were on the edge.?

12 hours ago, Beef15 said:

I mark the bases of mine. Set the hundo down so they pop up and quick swipe.

I use the Hundo case checker as well, and have one for 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, and as @Beef15 says, I mark them in the Hundo. I use a straight edge and mark them all in two directions to form a "+" on the bottom of the case using a thick-tipped Sharpie. Only takes a few seconds per 100, and I can ID my rounds fairly easily, but not as easily as those folks who mark the case sides. It is just too much work to mark the sides.

I use different colors for different uses (caliber and bullet weight, match bullets, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

A few of the local open gun shooter's mark all their 38super and 38supercomp brass in bright colors to make it easy to see in the gravel. They usually find 90% of the brass they shoot at a match by doing this. I've also seen shooter's mark the head stamp area of the case to tell if it was major or minor ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of us mark our brass as Joe4d said. I am still shooting 38SC and have no plans to convert to 9mm anytime soon. Even the 9Major guys mark their brass. 

I use the Mr Shooter single pen device to place a single line around the body of the case just above the extractor groove. This way I can spot my brass as it’s laying on its side. The guys who mark the headstamp have to pick up the brass to see the mark. We all gather around the table and sort most of the brass into piles. Can do this as we typically have the same group of shooters every weekend. 

20 hours ago, HI5-O said:

A bunch of us mark our brass as Joe4d said. I am still shooting 38SC and have no plans to convert to 9mm anytime soon. Even the 9Major guys mark their brass. 

I use the Mr Shooter single pen device to place a single line around the body of the case just above the extractor groove. This way I can spot my brass as it’s laying on its side. The guys who mark the headstamp have to pick up the brass to see the mark. We all gather around the table and sort most of the brass into piles. Can do this as we typically have the same group of shooters every weekend. 

That's a pretty neat gadget, but a bit pricey.  Think I'll see about making one instead of buying.

I used to when I was shooting a regular match at an indoor range that allowed us to pick up our brass at the end of the night.  I haven't for years, just because it's not been necessary.  It was a bit of a PITA.

On 5/28/2018 at 12:03 PM, HI5-O said:

Even the 9Major guys mark their brass. ....

Why?  If you have to pick up the brass, why not just shoot 38SC.

My entire motivation to change to 9major is based on not having to mark or chase my brass

29 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Why?  If you have to pick up the brass, why not just shoot 38SC.

My entire motivation to change to 9major is based on not having to mark or chase my brass

I shoot 9 Major and I mark my brass for a few reasons.

1: Quality control, it shows the round has gone through my Hundo gauge (which BTW is where I mark across the primer with a sharpie)

2:  I can tell the difference between my rounds and the rounds for my wife's gun.

3: Make sure (sort of) that minor shooters don't "borrow" them.

4. I don't pick up brass (except at an indoor match, and then they go through the same inspection process as the used brass that I buy)