Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed loader technique and bullet selection

BruceinWV

I am starting to work on revolver reloads and need instructions on proper technique for manipulating the speed loader and gun. I’m also looking at proper bullet selection between true round nose, flat point round nose, and truncated cone for smooth loading.

As a newbie I’m looking for suggestions for videos, books, or other resources covering these topics.  Of course, personal advice from experienced shooters on the board is alsways welcome.

I want to learn it right the first time and not have to UNlearn bad habits further down the road.

Thank you.

Edited by BruceinWV

As for method, I'd advise going to a competition first. The intertubes convinced me I needed to learn the FBI strong-hand method. Learned it, practiced it. Started shooting ICORE and noticed NO ONE was doing it. Loading strong hand, I needed to re-grip after each reload. So this winter's off-season, I re-taught myself weak-hand loading. Much more efficient. As for bullet shape, I toyed with the idea of using wadcutters. Then I practiced re-loads with empty shell casings: not good. Took a lot longer to line up. At this point, I'm using default flat-point round nose that comes on factory FMJ. When I start hand-loading, I plan on full pointy (is that a technical term?).

Edited by Mcfoto

Strong or weak hand reloading is a personal preference thing. Pick one that feels good to you and practice. 

As for bullets the pointiest round nose bullets you can find, the pointier they are the less to hang up on the cylinder. 

personally I like weak hand loading, mostly because I like keeping my grip, and I find it easier to maintain muzzle direction while moving left to right.

The biggest thing I see shooters do with speed loaders that kills time is pull it back after dumping the bullets into the cylinder and throw it to the side, push in till the bullets pop into the cylinder (assuming Safariland comp III type) then let go of it and close the cylinder and reform your grip. It will fall away you don't have to throw it.

Muzzle control was another factor in me switching to weak hand load. A couple times I came close to sweeping myself holding the gun by the open gate. 

Mike’s trying not to point fingers at me for throwing speedloaders. I’m trying to break the habit but I’m afraid I’m going to step on in and at this stage of my game, a couple seconds isn’t worth $20. That and I’m clumsy enough to trip and DQ. ;0)

Edited by Mcfoto

That video Alec posted is of the speed loader king. No one has or will win as much as Josh has with speed loaders. 

That being said, I'll give an alternative idea to what everyone else is saying here. When I started I was using a speed loader gun, and not only tried both strong and weak loading,  but variations of each. I found roughly the same consistency and roughly the same time (back then.)

What I also found was the abuse to my gun after loading weak hand. Problem 1-The crane is only supported by the yoke screw, which is spring loaded. With the weak hand load, all the pressure is put on the screw. Solution: fit a solid "old style" yoke screw, or regularly change the screw and make sure it stays tight.

Problem 2- closing the cylinder. With the weak hand, it's more of a slap movement to slam the cylinder shut. With the strong hand reload, it's very gentle. Have a look at a seasoned gun from both strong and weak loaders, and take note of the center pin hole. The weak loader will be oval instead of round.

Both reloads have won nationals, and irc titles. Both go sub 2 seconds. Both get the job done. My recommendation is to commit to 1 for a period of time, then the other and decide for yourself. 

158 gr rn Berry’s and most of the 160 rn coated bullets have a good shape for speedloader use. I’m with mwp on the weak hand gun abuse issue. I reload strong hand and as long as the gun is muzzle down I drop the speedloader with a soft release from just above the cylinder, then as the rounds find the holes I grip the speedloader by the spring cover or spring and trigger the realease. When I do the drop my hand never really leaves the speedloader. This is the best technique I’ve found with the K frame gun I use.

I have tried both hands with speedloaders and WHO is the least disaster prone for me.  Also, as MWP mentioned you can beat up the yoke screw on S&W revolvers if you are too aggressive.  That is one perk of the Ruger GP series.  All of my moonclip fed match guns are S&Ws, the speedloader guns are Rugers.

You are by no means the only offender I have seen tossing speed loaders to the side.

Muzzle control was another factor in me switching to weak hand load. A couple times I came close to sweeping myself holding the gun by the open gate. 

Mike’s trying not to point fingers at me for throwing speedloaders. I’m trying to break the habit but I’m afraid I’m going to step on in and at this stage of my game, a couple seconds isn’t worth $20. That and I’m clumsy enough to trip and DQ. ;0)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I run a pair of Safariland 333's with no issues for about half that cost. If you really want low-rent, @MikeBurgess wins matches with a set made from PVC pipe. He even leaves the bar code labels on for that Minnie Pearl look!

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

I'm not a revolver shooter but I'd always heard, seen that Jerry was the "speed loader king".  Which is the fastest ???

The one that is practiced to perfection. 

Strong or weak handed, the load itself isn't going to win. No matter which a person picks, commit to it and practice it until it's as fast as you want it.

1 hour ago, MWP said:

Strong or weak handed, the load itself isn't going to win. No matter which a person picks, commit to it and practice it until it's as fast as you want it.

+1 

15 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

I'd assume that both Jerry and Josh both "practiced to perfection"  -  however, that wasn't exactly what my question pertained to.

I think that question has come up at all skill levels. The argument is strong for both sides. I don't think there's a definitive answer, but I'll happily share an opinion.

With the weak hand load your grip hand never leaves the gun, in theory making the grip perfect when the reload is complete. The downside to that, is that the left hand is the one who has to unload, then re-feed the cylinder. 

The strong hand method has the ability to cut the jobs up, with its major downside being the grip afterwards. 

My opinion, is that the strong hand is faster, because of the jobs cut up. My other opinion: it still doesn't matter. I settled on strong hand not because of the speed, but (see my post above) the abuse the gun doesn't take compared to weak hand loading. 

Edited by MWP

4 hours ago, Steve RA said:

I'm not a revolver shooter but I'd always heard, seen that Jerry was the "speed loader king".  Which is the fastest ???

3 hours ago, MWP said:

45 minutes ago, MWP said:

I think that question has come up at all skill levels. The argument is strong for both sides. I don't think there's a definitive answer, but I'll happily share an opinion.

With the weak hand load your grip hand never leaves the gun, in theory making the grip perfect when the reload is complete. The downside to that, is that the left hand is the one who has to unload, then re-feed the cylinder. 

The strong hand method has the ability to cut the jobs up, with its major downside being the grip afterwards. 

My opinion, is that the strong hand is faster, because of the jobs cut up. My other opinion: it still doesn't matter. I settled on strong hand not because of the speed, but (see my post above) the abuse the gun doesn't take compared to weak hand loading. 

Looks like it was answered to me. Thoroughly. 

The question - if it wasn't clear enough - was/is:

Is Jerry Miculek faster than Josh Lentz from last shot - reload - first shot.  In other words - who is the fastest at that particular function ??