Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where To Lighten Slide On 45

cking

Ok I like the looks of the slot cut lightened slides, but I noticed Leathem gun in handgunner and looks like he just took a mill to his.

Some cut the recoil spring area, looks to thin in that area to bother with.

Most take it off between the breach and muzzle. Can I just drill some holes in that area and radius them to prevent cracks?

At rear of slide, I see some with some holes drilled through the extractor pin area, other than missing area that extractor rest on, anybody know good size and location.

Benny recommend the 12/13 oz range and that's where I heading,

Just want to know if taking off front and rear helps balance or doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance.

Some I guess what I'am asking is can I do this in my drill press, looks aint important to me. I just don't want to invite slide cracking.

It would be better on a mill, then you can control location and amount better.

On the front stay away from the muzzle, and stay away from the locking lugs. All cuts should be radiused to relieve stress.

Rear mostly stay away from extractor and don't get too close to the firing pin. (Also I recommend you talk to a smith about specific measurements.)

Could use a hammer and a chisle, but for what it would cost balanced against a ruined slide I would put it in a box and send it to Benny. Good fair price, fast turn around, outstanding service and he knows what and where to cut.-----Larry

There's no reason that a drill press wouldn't work, assuming it's fairly decent, has very little runout and you had the right tooling to drill/cut hardened steel. I'd also be concerned about compressing the slide, which could be mitigated with the right jig. Speeds and feeds are also important.

Hmm, seems to be some disagreement...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9924&hl=

A unique unscalloped slide weighs about 13 to 13 1/2 oz and a std slide usually weighs about 12. I know I being a little vague but they do vary.
6 inch STI w/stirrup cut no other cuts 15.0 oz.

Who's got some slides and a precision scale?

I weighed a stripped new 6" STI Unique slide with no sight or stirrup cuts on a US Postal scale at the P.O. the other day, came in at 15.0 ounces.

My 5" STI Unique Edge type slide with tri-top pyramid cut, Bomar sight cuts, and serrated flat top weighed 11.3 ounces, stripped. Only lightening cuts are the tri-top cut.

• 2 weeks later...
There's no reason that a drill press wouldn't work, assuming it's fairly decent, has very little runout and you had the right tooling to drill/cut hardened steel.  I'd also be concerned about compressing the slide, which could be mitigated with the right jig.  Speeds and feeds are also important.

you could also lighten the slide with a fingernail file :ph34r: , but the mill is the best way...

If you dont have a mill, the gunsmith can do it cheaper than you can buy a mill... :(

My caspian slide is not that hard. my springfield slide is. My Colt and Para slides fall somewhere in between the two.

The caspian is one I'm considering lightening. I hate to admit but nothing fancy just drill holes.

I noticed Leatham had holes in his at rear of slide in the extractor area and up front behind the bushing area.

I like the ones like Benny does, looks good, but that needs a mill.

I shoot Wolf 45, even though I have a Dillion 650.