Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stripped screw on front sight of LimPro?

lfine

Picked up a used LimPro and tried to remove the sight but seems like the screw is probably stripped. The sight will move a small amount forward and back but not come out. Anyone have any tips? I have Dawson's ready to go in - and his allen wrench as well.

Yeah a stripped set screw is not fun. I had one as well but fortunately the sight was lose enough I could use a small hammer and punch to completely remove the sight. Try heating the area around the screw with a lighter. Might losen up some of the lok-tite. 

Otherwise drilling it out might be your only other option. 

Try  heating it and drilling it w a left hand bit in "reverse ".  most of the time the drill bit will unscrew it. Just align it perfect in your drill press

All else fails a dremel cutting wheel could take down an aircraft carrier with time and patience, johnbu's idea seems a great one.

To make sure & take the set out of the lok tite I used a torch set to fine flame & heated the tip of the site till it glowed. 

Personally I think the Dawson sight is poorly designed for the Tanfo, they work if you mar them for an interference fit & use lok tite red & throw the too small wrong location screw away. I buy the Eric Grauffel sights in stock at Patriot Defense, I think it is EG, the $62 (ouch) one that looks like oem. 

The screw is softer than the slide so you can hook the sight on the edge of a saw horse and beat the front of the slide with a rubber mallet until you sheer the screw off and slide the sight out.

That is, if you can't drill it out ?

10 minutes ago, lfine said:

And that won't harm the slide? The shearing off etc, not the mallet/hammer.

It shouldn't, like I said, the screw is softer than the slide, I've done it on the rear sight and it didn't even egg out the hole in the slide, just bit the tip off the set screw.

With the Dawson I like the way the fiber is set a bit inside the front post of the front sight. That helps keep the end of the fiber from being too big of a blob and thereby too distracting. But I absolutely hate the location of the sight set screw. The fiber shouldn't have to be removed in order to access the sight set screw. 

Oh well, can't have everything I guess. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 7:12 AM, kneelingatlas said:

The screw is softer than the slide so you can hook the sight on the edge of a saw horse and beat the front of the slide with a rubber mallet until you sheer the screw off and slide the sight out.

If I hadn't read this I would have been scared to try. Put end of slide on 2x4 with top enough below edge of sight to allow clearance. 

Whacked the crap out of the rear of Dawson sight with round punch. The back of the sight bent & sort of rolled up out of the groove over the top of stuck screw. 

Took longer to get the tools out & put them back than it did to get the sight out. Can't see any marks on slide at all.

Kneelingatlas is a genius.

Am not a fan of the Dawson sight design retrofitted for Tanfos.

FWIW. Patriot Defense does not list them on their website but I think they can get different heights of the EG sight. The Tanfo sight sold by EAA http://eaacorp.com/gun_accessories/index.php/parts/tanfoglio/witness/sight/elite-fiber-optic-front-sight-303012.html now uses the smaller 1mm diameter fiber, maybe it always did but I had read literature to the contrary. 

6 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Kneelingatlas is a genius. 

Too true!

I believe you can get various heights and widths from EG direct.

On edit

The Xtreme Front Sight 2.0 has been developped by Eric Grauffel, 5 times world Champion! Front sight comes with a 1mm optic fiber when the Tanfoglio factory is 1.5mm.
Now available with awidth of 3mm or 2.5mm, there are 4 heights available which will enable you to have a perfect zeroing no matter the caliber and bullet weight used.
The particular conception of the front sight extends the fiber optic life time. Don't loose your fiber while shooting anymore, choose the Xtreme Front Sight 2.0!

Edited by johnbu