Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upper recover choices

Im starting to peice together a PCC. 

One thing I'm stuck on is the upper recover. I see lots of people say QC10 is the best, but is it really that much better than the Taccom? 

I already have a QC10 glock lower, if it matters.

10 minutes ago, Bevenue said:

Im starting to peice together a PCC. 

One thing I'm stuck on is the upper recover. I see lots of people say QC10 is the best, but is it really that much better than the Taccom? 

I already have a QC10 glock lower, if it matters.

Just as with anything it's a matter of preference.  I also have a QC10 lower and have two uppers built out.  One is a complete upper by Foxtrot Mike 16' I mainly use.  The only thing I changed was the comp to a MBX.  The other upper uses a ULW Taccom Barrel on a JoeBobs Spartan Receiver that I had lying around.  Super light and mates well with the lower.  The FM I had to mod the extractor a little bit but it's been for me in matches and I like the placement of the side charger much better.  FM also is a good value considering what you get for the price especially if you can get them on sale which they do from time to time.  Also I believe that they are a pretty decent company that cares in my dealings with them directly.  Both QC10 and FM have been great with questions I had and their customer service.  

If cost is important you might consider a Thunder. It comes in the raw with a slick interior, large ejection port, and has fit up beautifully in two of my builds.

Price is under a hundred.

Hello: I am using and have used Anderson sport, QC10, Matrix, JP,  upper receivers. All have worked perfectly. The Anderson sport upper is the lightest I have used so far. The barrels I am using and have used are KAW Valley, Faxon, JP, and Wilson Arms. Hanguards I am using JP, Nordic 22 one, Taccom carbon and a KAW Valley carbon fiber one. Thanks, Eric

7 hours ago, L9X25 said:

What features do you want or need?

I was mostly asking about just the stripped upper receivers. As I was looking at using the taccom ramped tension barrel, with their extreme bcg.

But I may go another direction as the barrel is out of stock. 

Another direction I'm looking is using a Faxon 16" barrel and BCG.

The reason that I asked is that uppers are available with features like "side-charging" and LRBHO, for those that want those features and have a lower that does not have LRBHO.

12 hours ago, Bevenue said:

Good choice. A ramped barrel is unnecessary as long as your receivers, and bolt, are in spec. Bar none, the best bang for your buck is the QC10 GSF Receiver set. A bit pricey, but first rate when it comes to quality. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

12 hours ago, Bevenue said:

I was mostly asking about just the stripped upper receivers. As I was looking at using the taccom ramped tension barrel, with their extreme bcg.

But I may go another direction as the barrel is out of stock. 

If you are trying to save money or even just put your money where it matters most check out the Anderson Sport uppers. They run about $40 bucks. If you aren't going side charging there isn't really a functional difference for the 9mm blowback PCC between the various uppers.

I have a QC10 lower and bolt which I think are among the finest parts on the market place and worth every penny. The upper receiver is $180 dollars though, and while "nice", doesn't really offer a functional benefit in a 9mm. It is absolutely not a "bang for the buck" upper receiver option, it's more of a "money is no object" high end option you buy because you like the shape.

I prefer ramped barrels because they are more likely to function with less than optimal magazine springs. The Taccom barrels are good as are the Shooting Innovations LLC ramped barrels. The Taccom Extreme BCG, the QC10 BCG and the Shooting Innovations LLC bolts all should work with a ramped barrel. I strongly prefer the pivoting AR style extractors to the old leaf spring style. It looks like the Faxon Gen 2 bolt has the pivoting extractor but I don't know if it will clear a feed ramp without modification. 

The Faxon barrels are OK, but all of the ones I have used have short chamber leades. This means loading to a short OAL if you are using coated bullets. In my experience the shorter OALs feed less reliably. If I had to use a Faxon today I would have someone open up the chamber leade with a reamer, and consider cutting a small ramp in the barrel.

• 4 weeks later...