Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting IPSC as a USPSA member?

AzNooB

I like to travel and I'd like to shoot IPSC now that I'm getting a little more serious about practical shooting (I'm not particularly interested in IPSC in America). Countries that interest me most would be Czech Rep., France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Canada, and Australia.

What does a USPSA member need to do administratively to shoot IPSC? Do we have to go through the Black Badge course or any of that? Is it correct to assume that having a USPSA membership also gives you an automatic IPSC membership?

Also, I know most countries have fairly strict gun laws relative to the US and each country has a process for getting guns in/out. What do most people do with their guns when they vacation after a match?

Ben's podcast talks about this a fair bit in one of the recent ones. Maybe watch it.

Most of us do not go to foreign countries to compete. A few of the people who went to the world shoot might post here. Maybe, but they'll be just informed about France.

The MD on the ground where you want to go is the first piece in the puzzle, as each country is different. I've thought about doing the Costa Rica or Jamaica matches as they seem set up for people from the US to do it easily.

Using an IPSC match to get your gun into a country you couldn't otherwise, well that's a different topic.... hahaha.

Nothing more than being a member of IPSC and getting classified. Read the rules. There is no IPSC in the US, except for the US IPSC Nationals once a year in Florida.

As a member of USPSA (the US IPSC affiliate) you are good to go to shoot IPSC in other countries.

For big matches (I.e. level 4’s & up) there will be a slot allocation so best to actually contact USPSA org for details.

For anything else just contact the match organisers directly. They can generally set you on the right path.

Australia is relatively straight forward. There’s some forms to fill out but nothing too hard (although I did Ben’s for him when he visited earlier this year. It was easier that way). The only watch out is country specific stuff. e.g in OZ we are restricted to 10 rounds mags a minimum barrel length of 120mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk